• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Winners Meet Here

I have a tourist visa that will not expire for a few years, will I still be able to travel to the States even if my number never becomes current?

Hi
I found out late May that i was selected for DV2015. I only submitted my DS260 at May 21st 2014.
My case number is 2015AF00055XXX and i live in Kenay. Do u think i will be programmed for the interview or i completed the DS too late?
How does it work? When should I expect the interview?
Thank you
Likely August. Go through the Kenyan thread well. Its informative.

This varies so differently by family it's hard to give advice. One thing to remember is that it's longer and more difficult to get the family over if they are not on DVs. Some people do find it better to find a job and be earning money before the family comes. Others find it difficult for the family to be apart, it can end up being a year or more if they don't have DV visas. If the kids are school age, public school is free and many have aftercare, so the wife can also look for a job.
yes, this is true. But his entire family got the DV as part of the process so they could all come together. He is just curious about how it works logistically. I guess if they have the visa on their passport they can enter after him?

yes, this is true. But his entire family got the DV as part of the process so they could all come together. He is just curious about how it works logistically. I guess if they have the visa on their passport they can enter after him?

Yes they can, as long as they do so before their visas expire.

I got married after submitting DS-260.What am i supposed to do in that case and i want to go with my wife?
You have to prove your marriage is genuine by providing proof as photos, e-mails, other correspondence between you. Which embassy are you going to? Not to make you feel bad but yesterday all applicants similar to your case were refused in the interview at US embassy in Tirana.

Last edited:

Yes, if they come over before their visas expire, doesn't give so much time to get a job and set up?

Yes, if they come over before their visas expire, doesn't give so much time to get a job and set up?
it is not a lot of time, but it might buy some time. He has relatives in three different states so he is already applying for jobs now to see if he has any luck.

Hi all
i win the lottery and my case No. is 2015AS000110xx, do i still have a chance for interview ? last yeas the stopped with No. 13250 and till now the number is running very slow ?? I am afraid. could any one tell me if i still have a chance or no please?
thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone,
I have just received my greencard. However, my birthday is written wrong on my card. I just e-filed I-90 form and attached my passport and greencard scans as evidence documents. My question is how long does it take to replace my greencard after submitting this form. Also, is there anything else that I should do for it? Do I have to mail my current greencard back to them?
I would really appreciate if Britsimon can also reply my questions. Thank you very much in advance!

Hello everyone,
I have just received my greencard. However, my birthday is written wrong on my card. I just e-filed I-90 form and attached my passport and greencard scans as evidence documents. My question is how long does it take to replace my greencard after submitting this form. Also, is there anything else that I should do for it? Do I have to mail my current greencard back to them?
I would really appreciate if Britsimon can also reply my questions. Thank you very much in advance!

Do you have a copy of your DS-260 form? Did you cross check to confirm you did not make the mistake on that form? Is your DOB correctly listed on the birth certificate you submitted? These are some of the questions USCIS will look into to determine whether the error originated from you or it was from their end.

If the error originated from your end, you will be required to pay for the cost of a new GC which I believe is currently $450 and you will be required to send in your BC, they will not go by what's simply listed on your passport. Once your payment is received, you will be sent a NOA (official receipt of your application), followed by a biometric notice to enable them capture a new picture and prints that will go on the new card.

If the error is from USCIS, then you are required to send in your current GC (the plastic GC itself), not just a scan copy and a copy of your BC which is supposed to have the correct DOB, in addition to the passport. They will send back a NOA, followed by the biometric notice.

It could take anywhere between 3 - 6 months to get the replacement GC.

Hello everyone,

You are much better off with the reply from Mom!

Thank you very much Britsimon :) I checked all my forms and the information written there is correct. Actually I know where the problem is coming from. My birthday was written wrong on my immigration visa. So it was the mistake of the US consulate. (I didn't realize the error on my visa). When I entered the US, they probably copied my information from my visa for my greencard process. I called USCIS. Since the error is not due to them, I also paid $450 while efiling I-90. In this situation, do I need to send my birth certificate? Do you think passport wouldn't be enough for it? I am asking because I have to make it translated to English and send it to America. I was also assuming that they already have all my information and documents? Do they definitely call for a biometric records again? So this means I have to come to America to do this and I am not sure if I can do it since my birthday on my immigration visa is wrong. also in this situation, I don't need to send my greencard back? I really appreciate your help. Thanks a lot!

Thank you very much Britsimon :) I checked all my forms and the information written there is correct. Actually I know where the problem is coming from. My birthday was written wrong on my immigration visa. So it was the mistake of the US consulate. (I didn't realize the error on my visa). When I entered the US, they probably copied my information from my visa for my greencard process. I called USCIS. Since the error is not due to them, I also paid $450 while efiling I-90. In this situation, do I need to send my birth certificate? Do you think passport wouldn't be enough for it? I am asking because I have to make it translated to English and send it to America. I was also assuming that they already have all my information and documents? Do they definitely call for a biometric records again? So this means I have to come to America to do this and I am not sure if I can do it since my birthday on my immigration visa is wrong. also in this situation, I don't need to send my greencard back? I really appreciate your help. Thanks a lot!

Well, that error on the embassy's part has indeed turned out to be a costly error for you in this case - hope anyone else who might have noticed an error on their visa and has been reluctant to contact the embassy to get it fixed is reading this. Not saying that was the situation with your particular case, but we've seen people in similar situations who wanted to use their visa 'as is' after noticing an error.

Anyway, they may be willing to accept the passport, but don't be surprised if they insist on a B/C in addition. Regarding translating it, you might as well get that done now to ensure you always have a translated copy on hand cause there will be instances when you'll need to use the B/C in the U.S. anyway sometime down the road.

And yes, you will need to be in the US to do the biometric which I'm sure it's a part of the replacement process. If you miss the appointment, your case will be closed and you will have to start afresh (including making a new payment). You do not need to send the GC back in this case, and you can still use the temporary GC, that is the I-551 on your passport (the endorsed visa) to return to the U.S. - I wouldn't recommend using the plastic GC even though you have it.

p.s. Even though I sometimes 'look :cool:and sound' like BritSimon, I'm not BritSimon :rolleyes:

My Immigrant Visa expires on 06 of July 2015 and I am still working in Europe and it looks like I may be getting into a redundancy situation with my job. I may get a good redundancy payment but I need to wait and see what happens next. If I am unable to go before my visa expiry date, should I contact my Consulate requesting to extend the visa validity or should I go the to the USA for a week towards the end of this validity period, get my visa processed and then return to Europe for another 5-6 months to finish my affairs and then move for good. Would I be liable to pay tax in the US if I get my redundancy after I enter the US ? How high is this tax ?

I think one mor
My Immigrant Visa expires on 06 of July 2015 and I am still working in Europe and it looks like I may be getting into a redundancy situation with my job. I may get a good redundancy payment but I need to wait and see what happens next. If I am unable to go before my visa expiry date, should I contact my Consulate requesting to extend the visa validity or should I go the to the USA for a week towards the end of this validity period, get my visa processed and then return to Europe for another 5-6 months to finish my affairs and then move for good. Would I be liable to pay tax in the US if I get my redundancy after I enter the US ? How high is this tax ?

They will not extend your visa. If you have not entered by 6 July your visa becomes worthless as if you had never won.

And yes you will be liable to file for tax after you have entered (though you will only need to file next year for 2015) but unless you are earning hundreds of thousands of euros at a very low tax rate, you will probably be able to escape paying any tax on this through a combination of tax treaties and the foreign income exclusion.

There is no choice here. You cannot risk your GC for the sake of a job that may be ending in redundancy and you will certainly leave if not. Just take a few days off, enter the USA, activate the GC and return to work to try and get the redundancy pay.

If the redundancy is paid tax free (as it is for example in the UK up to around GBP30k) then yes, you might have a tax liability on that income (because USA tax treatment will not recognize the tax free accomodation for redundancy payments) but you can worry about that later....

There is no choice here. You cannot risk your GC for the sake of a job that may be ending in redundancy and you will certainly leave if not. Just take a few days off, enter the USA, activate the GC and return to work to try and get the redundancy pay.

If the redundancy is paid tax free (as it is for example in the UK up to around GBP30k) then yes, you might have a tax liability on that income (because USA tax treatment will not recognize the tax free accomodation for redundancy payments) but you can worry about that later....

The foreign earned income exclusion would be well above that illustrative amount though?
In any case yes it's silly to lose the green card because of a job you're about to be laid off from anyway.