• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2024 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Process Only

Hi, I've read the FAQ section of the AOS spreadsheet and saw a lot of info regarding OPT and AOS filing, but I'm wondering how H-1B petitioning and AOS work concurrently. I was selected in this year's H-1B lottery and soon my company will apply for change of status from F-1 for me. I am also looking to start preparing my AOS application and hopefully send it next month. Could you let me know if there are any issues with having both applications pending at/around the same time? Thanks so much.

Hello, please I need your opinion on this. I am #ptorny on the spreadsheet. USCIS sent me my documents with Form I-797C, Notice of Action today to complete a field I left out by mistake, and I am supposed to repost it back. Is it advisable to repost all the documents they stamped with annotation or print new ones and resend?

Hi, I've read the FAQ section of the AOS spreadsheet and saw a lot of info regarding OPT and AOS filing, but I'm wondering how H-1B petitioning and AOS work concurrently. I was selected in this year's H-1B lottery and soon my company will apply for change of status from F-1 for me. I am also looking to start preparing my AOS application and hopefully send it next month. Could you let me know if there are any issues with having both applications pending at/around the same time? Thanks so much.
There’s no problem with having multiple applications in the system at the same time.

Hello, please I need your opinion on this. I am #ptorny on the spreadsheet. USCIS sent me my documents with Form I-797C, Notice of Action today to complete a field I left out by mistake, and I am supposed to repost it back. Is it advisable to repost all the documents they stamped with annotation or print new ones and resend?
Just fill out the returned forms and mail them back as directed. There’s no need to print out new sets of forms.

I’ll be glad to have some insight into this if any of us is in similar situation. My wife lives in Canada and I live in the U.S. I’ve added her details on the DS-260 as a second derivative. I’m in the process of AOS. Here is what I’d love some insight on. What documents will my wife have to go with to process the biometric in Canada incase that process is possible ( based on anyone’s experience here)? Can she go for the biometric once USCIS sends me my NOA and A number.

I reached out to USCIS via Emma and the agent sent me a link for her to schedule biometric. I’m not sure if that’s the entire process?

Based on this feedback from KCC below;

“Thank you for your inquiry.

The beneficiary must go to the embassy at which he or she wishes to process the case and request for the follow-to join process to be initiated. Once requested, the embassy will obtain the necessary documentation from the applicant. The proper procedures will be implemented to ensure that the case is processed accordingly.

Entitlement to immigrant status in the DV category lasts only through the end of the fiscal (visa) year for which the applicant is selected in the lottery. The year of entitlement for all applicants registered for the DV-2024 program ends as of September 30, 2024. DV visas may not be issued to DV applicants after that date. Similarly, spouses and children accompanying or following to join DV principals are only entitled to derivative DV status until September 30, 2024. DV visa availability through the very end of Fiscal Year 2024 cannot be taken for granted. Numbers could be exhausted prior to September 30, 2024.

In addition, spouses or children acquired after the principal applicant has been approved for the visa must be completed through processing on or before September 30th of the DV program year. Questions pertaining to this situation must be directed to the USCIS at 1-800-375-5283”.

I’ll be glad to have some insight into this if any of us is in similar situation. My wife lives in Canada and I live in the U.S. I’ve added her details on the DS-260 as a second derivative. I’m in the process of AOS. Here is what I’d love some insight on. What documents will my wife have to go with to process the biometric in Canada incase that process is possible ( based on anyone’s experience here)? Can she go for the biometric once USCIS sends me my NOA and A number.

I reached out to USCIS via Emma and the agent sent me a link for her to schedule biometric. I’m not sure if that’s the entire process?

Based on this feedback from KCC below;

“Thank you for your inquiry.

The beneficiary must go to the embassy at which he or she wishes to process the case and request for the follow-to join process to be initiated. Once requested, the embassy will obtain the necessary documentation from the applicant. The proper procedures will be implemented to ensure that the case is processed accordingly.

Entitlement to immigrant status in the DV category lasts only through the end of the fiscal (visa) year for which the applicant is selected in the lottery. The year of entitlement for all applicants registered for the DV-2024 program ends as of September 30, 2024. DV visas may not be issued to DV applicants after that date. Similarly, spouses and children accompanying or following to join DV principals are only entitled to derivative DV status until September 30, 2024. DV visa availability through the very end of Fiscal Year 2024 cannot be taken for granted. Numbers could be exhausted prior to September 30, 2024.

In addition, spouses or children acquired after the principal applicant has been approved for the visa must be completed through processing on or before September 30th of the DV program year. Questions pertaining to this situation must be directed to the USCIS at 1-800-375-5283”.
This is a question you actually should have asked as soon as you found out about your selection and the decision was made for you to process AOS and the plan is for your wife to process CP since she's not currently based in the US with you. This process is known as FTP, Follow-To-Join, which can be quite stressful because it is not straight forward or as simple as it sounds.

I recommend you take a look at the AOS-FAQs tab of the AOS Process spreadsheet where you'll be able to find some additional information on FTJ.

*I reviewed the spreadsheet and only read the basic components of the medical exam. Looking for feedback from anyone who has undertaken the medical exam recently.

Besides showing the immunization records, getting the TB test and the basic physical exam - did the civil surgeon ask anything background health information?

I have three kids and want to know if I should take other records and/or be prepared to remember prior illnesses, etc.

You should receive Fingerprint appointment by mail. My status did not changed after fingerprint fee was received. We did biometrics appointment and after couple weeks it changed to" Case Was Updated To Show Fingerprints Were Taken"
Hi,
What’s the next update usually after fingerprints have been added in uscis online account.
Thanks

Hi all,

I had my interview this morning in NYC and I know one other member has an interview tomorrow (albeit different location), so I wanted to give a quick update.

My interview was super smooth. My passport, 1NL, W2, degree and high school certificates and marriage certificate were requested, then I was walked through the yes/no questions. All done.

My husband was a little thrown on two things:
1. His degree certificates were requested. He did not have these as our interview was on short notice (his mom mailed them but we haven't got them yet), and we assumed that these were not required for him as my derivative. We did however have evidence of him being in skilled employment that requires training etc. etc (can't remember the exact clause) and his W2s, which should be sufficient regardless (?)
2. He got thrown on address- when questioned, he stated his last address outside of the USA as being a corporate apartment that he had lived in for two months prior to moving to the States, having forgotten that the i485 only wants the last address you have lived for over a year, thus he had entered his address prior to that on the form. He says this caused a little confusion with the case officer- he was only reminded of the 'longer than a year' when we got back home.

Other than that it sounds like his interview went smoothly- we were both interviewed separately and he was only asked how we met and my DOB.

I will of course be refreshing case status and keep y'all updated of how this goes.

*I reviewed the spreadsheet and only read the basic components of the medical exam. Looking for feedback from anyone who has undertaken the medical exam recently.

Besides showing the immunization records, getting the TB test and the basic physical exam - did the civil surgeon ask anything background health information?

I have three kids and want to know if I should take other records and/or be prepared to remember prior illnesses, etc.
We had to bring immunization card, passport and birth certificate for the kids. This is in addition to the blood test results that were sent directly to the CS.
CS didn't ask for any records regarding current medications. The questions were more focused on any mental or physical/breathing illness.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I had my interview this morning in NYC and I know one other member has an interview tomorrow (albeit different location), so I wanted to give a quick update.

My interview was super smooth. My passport, 1NL, W2, degree and high school certificates and marriage certificate were requested, then I was walked through the yes/no questions. All done.

My husband was a little thrown on two things:
1. His degree certificates were requested. He did not have these as our interview was on short notice (his mom mailed them but we haven't got them yet), and we assumed that these were not required for him as my derivative. We did however have evidence of him being in skilled employment that requires training etc. etc (can't remember the exact clause) and his W2s, which should be sufficient regardless (?)
2. He got thrown on address- when questioned, he stated his last address outside of the USA as being a corporate apartment that he had lived in for two months prior to moving to the States, having forgotten that the i485 only wants the last address you have lived for over a year, thus he had entered his address prior to that on the form. He says this caused a little confusion with the case officer- he was only reminded of the 'longer than a year' when we got back home.

Other than that it sounds like his interview went smoothly- we were both interviewed separately and he was only asked how we met and my DOB.

I will of course be refreshing case status and keep y'all updated of how this goes.
The IO was over-zealous in requesting for your spouse's degree certificates. Derivatives are not required to demonstrate they meet the educational requirement, not unless you had cross charged to your spouse's country of birth.

Update: New card being produced!

Thanks so much to Mom for the incredible resource here
Congratulations. Please remember to update the Timeline spreadsheet.

Hey Mom, Thank you so much for your incredible help, my case was approved last week.

I have a question. I was in the middle of filing taxes as an international student, but now does this mean that I need to refile my taxes if my case got approved? Does this mean that my status has already changed to LPR and I need to file taxes differently?

Thank you.

Hey Mom, Thank you so much for your incredible help, my case was approved last week.

I have a question. I was in the middle of filing taxes as an international student, but now does this mean that I need to refile my taxes if my case got approved? Does this mean that my status has already changed to LPR and I need to file taxes differently?

Thank you.
You're filing taxes for 2023.