• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 AOS Only

Dear Mom and Forum Friends,

I received my green card today (Jan 28th). I was out so I found out after I came back. I wanted to share this beautiful news and my happiness with you all.

I will always remember you with deepest gratitude. Thank you, thank you, and thank you... I also wish rest of the friends the best of luck with their case... Please trust Mom, she is a wonderful guide ! God bless you all...

That's awesome! Congratulations. Oh guess what? My LPR anniversary is also Jan. 28th ;) (although that's not your anniversary, your anniversary is the day your case got approved :))

Hello Mom
My husband and I received our biometric schedule letter 3 days ago. The place we need to go is the same but the dates are different! My husband's schedule is 4 days before me. I just wanted to make sure if it's normal. I try to go with him to do the finger print stuff by walk-in that day.

Hello Mom
My husband and I received our biometric schedule letter 3 days ago. The place we need to go is the same but the dates are different! My husband's schedule is 4 days before me. I just wanted to make sure if it's normal. I try to go with him to do the finger print stuff by walk-in that day.

That's quite unusual. You should definitely attempt a walk-in with him.

Just want to share this experience, I went to INFOPASS this morning and asked our case. The officer told us just wait. I submitted on October but looks like they are working on the case which submitted on June 2015 right now. My FO is Los Angeles county, he said there are a lot of documents in LA county office. Everything looks ok but just be patient.

Just want to share this experience, I went to INFOPASS this morning and asked our case. The officer told us just wait. I submitted on October but looks like they are working on the case which submitted on June 2015 right now. My FO is Los Angeles county, he said there are a lot of documents in LA county office. Everything looks ok but just be patient.

You should have pressed more. When June submissions was mentioned, that meant the officer did not understand that DV cases are not handled at the normal timeline. They are supposed to prioritize DV cases differently.

I would look for another infopass in a few weeks and prepare better for that meeting.

You should have pressed more. When June submissions was mentioned, that meant the officer did not understand that DV cases are not handled at the normal timeline. They are supposed to prioritize DV cases differently.

I would look for another infopass in a few weeks and prepare better for that meeting.
Thank you so much for reply Britsimon, Ok I will try another INFOPASS a few weeks later. Should I mention that "DV cases are not supposed to handled at the normal timeline" if officer said same thing? And do you think my waiting time is too long? I got my fingerprint at Oct 29.

Thank you so much for reply Britsimon, Ok I will try another INFOPASS a few weeks later. Should I mention that "DV cases are not supposed to handled at the normal timeline" if officer said same thing? And do you think my waiting time is too long? I got my fingerprint at Oct 29.

If you don't mind waiting, you can just wait, but there is a policy memo that directs uscis staff to handle DV cases without the normal wait. Google policy memo dv lottery.

Once you show that, you could then go through the list of things that they have to do on a DV case. This helps avoid waiting for no reason, but again, if you are ok to wait, don't feel like you have to rock the boat. You have until the end of September to complete yourcase. .

Hi all,

I had two INFOPASS appointments, one Dec 20 and the other one yesterday. Both took less than 2-3 minutes. They were not helpful at all. In the first appointment, they told me we got your documents last month (Nov), and you should just wait for the IL. Yesterday, the officer told me that we got your documents yesterday! and when I told him that previous time you said we got it in Nov, he got offended and said "this is what it shows here, I don't know". Anyways, at the end he said if you didn't get your IL after 60 days, call us.
I sent my documents on Oct 1.
This was in the Portland office.

If you don't mind waiting, you can just wait, but there is a policy memo that directs uscis staff to handle DV cases without the normal wait. Google policy memo dv lottery.

Once you show that, you could then go through the list of things that they have to do on a DV case. This helps avoid waiting for no reason, but again, if you are ok to wait, don't feel like you have to rock the boat. You have until the end of September to complete yourcase. .

Sooo, I just googled the policy memo for the dv lottery. The only memo I found (from August 2013) mentions that we can file before our visa number becomes active (well, 1.5 months before it acutely becomes active) to give the USCIS more time to process and therefore gives us a better chance to get the AOS finished before September 30th. However, it does not state that they would have to process our cases before anybody else cases. Is there another memo?

Thanks a lot! This forum is great!!!

The F1 petition is an independent one from the AOS petition, and they will be treated as such. Yes, the F1 petition may be denied as a result of the AOS petition since the F1 is not a dual intent status, however only the IO has the final say at the end of the day.

Period of unauthorized stay starts from when the last authorized stay expired regardless of when the change of status denial decision is/was made. If your authorized stay has already expired before your AOS package gets formally accepted, and you now go ahead to withdraw the F1 petition, you may technically be considered to be out of status as at the time of filing AOS in that case. Like @EURO2014 earlier on mentioned, your best bet would have been to process CP from the on set, but that's no longer relevant now anyways.
Marian Valentin, Yes, you absolutely had to be in status at the time of filing AOS/I-485. If there is any risk on that point, you may disregard my earlier suggestion in terms of "I-485 pending status", if you were found out of status at the time of filing. Our best advice is to work through the issues with your immigration lawyer, at this stage of the process. Very best of luck!

Sooo, I just googled the policy memo for the dv lottery. The only memo I found (from August 2013) mentions that we can file before our visa number becomes active (well, 1.5 months before it acutely becomes active) to give the USCIS more time to process and therefore gives us a better chance to get the AOS finished before September 30th. However, it does not state that they would have to process our cases before anybody else cases. Is there another memo?

Thanks a lot! This forum is great!!!

Yes, the memo doesn't explicitly say DV based AOS cases must be adjudicated ahead of others, but the fact that it says "it is extremely important that every office carefully monitor its DV adjustment case load and strive to adjudicate each DV adjustment application to completion before the end of the relevant fiscal year" definitely implies DV based AOS cases cannot, actually make that SHOULD NOT, be adjudicated based on the standard/regular time processing.

Of course it doesn't mean the FOs must put all other AOS cases on the back burner whenever a DV based AOS petition is received (if they do that most of those cases will never get adjudicated), they however have to use their discretion to hasten the DV based ones before the end of the applicable FY.

That's awesome! Congratulations. Oh guess what? My LPR anniversary is also Jan. 28th ;) (although that's not your anniversary, your anniversary is the day your case got approved :))

Thank you very much for everything ! You have been so kind and helpful.

Congratulations for your anniversary. That's wonderful ! I received my online approval message on January 19th, so that should be mine; I will keep this in mind.

Thank you...

Hello Mom
Mona and Mom
My son's date was different as well but his application was return from Chicago Lockbox, that's why he got a different date. I call the USCIS to ask them that is okay to go with our son for the biometrics. They say some offices can do it if it's not busy. We went with him for a walk in and they did it without any hassle.
I think you should go with your husband or call first just to explain the situation.

Mona and Mom
My son's date was different as well but his application was return from Chicago Lockbox, that's why he got a different date. I call the USCIS to ask them that is okay to go with our son for the biometrics. They say some offices can do it if it's not busy. We went with him for a walk in and they did it without any hassle.
I think you should go with your husband or call first just to explain the situation.

Yep, that's the only situation I know of where bio dates for members of the same household might differ. There's no point calling, no listed numbers for the ASC and whatever the customer rep on the 1800 USCIS line says will have no bearing on what actually happens when one shows up for a walk in. Thanks for sharing about your case.

Hello everyone, it's been almost 6 weeks since our biometric appointment. No interview letter yet. The only thing I can compare how fast our FO is 2011 and 2014 spreadsheet, both of those cases got their letter in about 4 weeks. Should I schedule infopass or should I wait a little more?

Hello everyone, it's been almost 6 weeks since our biometric appointment. No interview letter yet. The only thing I can compare how fast our FO is 2011 and 2014 spreadsheet, both of those cases got their letter in about 4 weeks. Should I schedule infopass or should I wait a little more?

An INFOPASS wouldn't hurt.