• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 OC Selectees

Hi All,

I have a question regarding citizenship certificates. I have applied for one as a naturalised citizen but my wife was born and raised here; do I need to get one for her? Is it required? Did anyone else bother getting one if they were born in Australian and have lived here their whole life?

Ben
No need - her passport is sufficient.

Hi guys,
We're thinking of getting all of our vaccines prior to the panel medical. Does anyone know which meningococcal vaccine you need (B or C)?
Thanks!

Hi guys,
We're thinking of getting all of our vaccines prior to the panel medical. Does anyone know which meningococcal vaccine you need (B or C)?
Thanks!

imho it's better to do it at the medical. The doctor will just give you two little shots and done.

Hi guys,
Thanks!

You may very well find out you end up getting vaccines you don't need if you do it that way. The panel doctors do not give all vaccines to everyone and there are a number that get waived on age.

We got some of ours done at our local GP because we knew there were some that were just non-negotiable and, for my husband and I, that we would need top-ups. You can't claim a Medicare rebate with the panel doctor but we could claim the rebate when we went to our GP. For us, it was worth doing in that we saved a couple hundred dollars on the non-negotiable ones. A couple of the others - like the flu shot - we didn't get at our GP and the panel doctor waived the requirement for it.

Thanks guys! I already got one of the multi-booster ones, and have had a blood test to check what else I might need to get. @EmilyW what would you say are the non-negotiables?

Hi,
Question for the savvy guys on DS-260. If you can unlock and modify your DS-260 form without affecting your interview date/ process why the hurry to submit the form ASAP to avoid the risk of late submission and not being called on time.

I asked this because I recently unlocked my form (case number SA9***) to make some changes and some people on this forum advised me that it would not affect my interview/process. The same info/advice was given to me by KCC when I asked about consequences of unlocking the form.

Cheers

Hi,
Question for the savvy guys on DS-260. If you can unlock and modify your DS-260 form without affecting your interview date/ process why the hurry to submit the form ASAP to avoid the risk of late submission and not being called on time.

I asked this because I recently unlocked my form (case number SA9***) to make some changes and some people on this forum advised me that it would not affect my interview/process. The same info/advice was given to me by KCC when I asked about consequences of unlocking the form.

Cheers

The first time you submit your DS260 it can take 2-3 months to process and you can't be scheduled for an interview without your form being processed. Minor changes that necessitate unlocking the DS260 don't require the form to be re-processed and hence, will not affect the scheduling of your interview.

Hi,

Cheers

The savviest guy is @Britsimon who has written this handy post about unlocking: http://britsimonsays.com/does-unlocking-cause-delays/

Hi,

Cheers

Some changes cause delays, some don't. Gemka has posted a link that describes that.

As for why some people get so stressed about getting their forms in. Well the process takes time - and some people can't bear the wait. They saw the selection letter and thought they could resign and move to the USA the following week - so for those people, time just runs too slowly and any delay is perceived to be a bad thing. There is also the real possibility to delay too long and miss out....

We didn't rush the submission of our DS260. We knew we would only get interviewed around April / May. We submitted ours in July. Unlocked, made some changes, and resubmitted the form in August. For us it made no difference. But if you are likely to be current in October AND you want to be interviewed ASAP, it's better to get the form in early.

We should be interviewing in Mar/Apr, submitted DS-260 in May and unlocked and made changes (updated passport number, corrected misspelling in my last name and add high school information) in September.

Shall I expect any delays on my interview/process? based on previous comments/links it should all be fine and no delays...

Thanks

Sorry to temporarily hijack the thread :) Am a DV2017 hopeful (realistic about the chances but believe in positive thinking too) and just wanted to thank all for the information shared so far, defiantly helps and have learnt so much already. I fell in love with the states a few years ago (was once engaged to marry an American but the relationship ended) so am hoping to try my luck in October :) thanks again for all the info and sorry for the hijack!

So I have checked out that site and the closest would be graphic designer: http://www.onetonline.org/link/summary/27-1024.00 or 'Manager, other': http://www.onetonline.org/link/summary/11-9199.00

My husband did not complete high school, nor does he have a university degree - so this will be based solely on his comprehensive work experience. Do you think we might run into any pitfalls with regards to this? He has letters of recommendations and has 5-7 years worth of extensive experience relevant to his occupation (that others would study and complete degrees for) but I'm questioning what else we might need to pull together prior to the interview to best demonstrate this.

We completed the DS260 late May and our case number is in the early 500s... are we thinking a possible January interview?

Graphic Designer would qualify @Elle30 as long as his job description closely matches O*Net's and he studied for at least two years to gain his qualifications. His employer or business colleagues need to verify this with a letter stating his job description. Near enough is not good enough. When the interviewer was reading out my job description I answered no to a lot of his questions and he was about to disqualify me until I realized he was reading the wrong job out. Once he picked the right one I was in..But near enough is not good enough. He has to know his stuff and be able to answer the questions without lying. Also he has to produce certificates to support the 2 years of study he needs. Without the proof of study you might be in trouble. Sorry, but they are really strict on this.

Graphic Designer would qualify @Elle30 as long as his job description closely matches O*Net's and he studied for at least two years to gain his qualifications. His employer or business colleagues need to verify this with a letter stating his job description. Near enough is not good enough. When the interviewer was reading out my job description I answered no to a lot of his questions and he was about to disqualify me until I realized he was reading the wrong job out. Once he picked the right one I was in..But near enough is not good enough. He has to know his stuff and be able to answer the questions without lying. Also he has to produce certificates to support the 2 years of study he needs. Without the proof of study you might be in trouble. Sorry, but they are really strict on this.

I need to correct the 2 years of study thing.

The rule is worded like this:-
Applicants, however, who do not meet the education requirement, must meet the work experience requirement of two years of experience in an occupation which requires at least two years training or experience within the five-year period immediately prior to application.

What that means is that the applicant has to have the two years experience but need not prove the studying - the requirement is the two years of work experience doing a job that normally requires two years of studying, the studying itself is not mandatory.

Hi all,

Kind of a neurotic question here... I have my interview in just over two weeks and am starting to freak out about everything.

My question is about birth certificates. The document checklist says original long form and the Sydney checklist says original birth certificate. I have a certified copy of the details in my birth certificate issued by the Northern Territory Births, Deaths and Marriages. I used it for my J1 interview and it was fine but I just want to check as my mind is starting to go crazy with everything that could go wrong.

Thank you!
Sarah

An original procured from your state's BDM office is fine, so long as it has your parents' names on it.

Stop worrying. :)

Does anybody know what are the reasons for not being selected (any reason) if based on previous year your case number would definitely be called for an interview??? I'm just wondering what are the reasons for not being granted your green card if you meet all the requirements and your case number is low enough to secure an interview.....
Thanks