• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Oceania winners

Hi everyone,

I wouldn't normally post something on the main forum, but it's getting to the pointy end of the process for me and I would like to check off my list of documents with you guys. :)

interview scheduled for late August, earlier than I expected!! I got the second NL today, so have to book my medical as soon as it's AM in Australian. (I currently live in NYC on my second e3 visa).

I've followed all the instructions and there were really only 4 documents that I had to get, which doesn't seem like much so it's making me nervous.. (and obviously all the other bits and pieces required for interview day photos /envelope etc.. Not my first rodeo with that..)

I'd like to check off the documents that I have gathered:

1. birth Certificate. ( this is a formal extract- certainly not the one I was issued at my birth, but an extract that I have been using for years, that we got FROM Births, Deaths, and Marriages- does that count as the sufficient?

2. Police certificate from the AFP that covers all of AU- code 33 or whatever the immigration one is) I have lived in Canberra and Victoria most of my life in AU. The police check says it covers all of AU, so I don't need them for individual states?

3. High school certificate

4. Medical - to be scheduled . ( I don't have a full medical history or immunization history- but was told this is ok as they will just give me all the shots I need.

5. Copy of degree- I know it's been said that this is not required, but on the most recent embassy instructions, it says this can be brought instead of the high school certificate. ( taking it anyway).

My main concerns are my Birth Certificate and lack of medical history/ immunization history ..

Any help / feedback would be wonderful!!

Steph.

First thing.... breathe. You got this, matey.

Second... the birth certificate needs to be the long form certificate which shows your date of birth, place of birth, names of both of your parents. If that is what you have, then it's fine. If not, you'll need to order a new one from the registry in your state. Most registries can turn these around pretty quickly (matter of days).

Third, medical history. I didn't have either medical history or a full immunisation history. It won't matter. The forms are so comprehensive that you'll fill in your medical history then. And the panel doctor will determine what shots you need. If you don't have an immunisation history, you can get an antibodies test done to check what your immunity is. Otherwise, prepare yourself to be a pin cushion.

Hmmm.

When I check my receipt number I get the error message: "My Case Status does not recognize the receipt number entered. Please check your receipt number and try again. If you need further assistance, please call the National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283."

Yes, I paid the fee and am referring to the correct Case Receipt Notice - I've already been processed/stamped/and am working/living in the US!

I called them and they said that sometimes it takes up to 30 days for anything to show up using this system - It's been 23 days so far - so hopefully shows up in the next week or so....

If you're using the receipt number starting with the letter 'I', that is weird and you might want to call them?

Hi team! I think this has been covered but I just needed to sanity check with you :) In regards to the police certificate, can I just get the police certificate without finger prints as I've lived in Australia my whole life? Or do I need to get the fingerprint one?

This is what is listed on the travel.state.gov website, but I guess I'm just not sure what an alias is...
"National Police Certificates based on fingerprints are preferred, but a certificate not based on fingerprints is acceptable if it shows all aliases ever used."

I'm really just asking because of the cost difference, if I can save an extra $100 that's always a win.
Thanks so much!

Oh and @MattWatt and @Mikey Mike your suggestions for getting into the portal worked a treat! Cheers

Hi team! I think this has been covered but I just needed to sanity check with you :) In regards to the police certificate, can I just get the police certificate without finger prints as I've lived in Australia my whole life? Or do I need to get the fingerprint one?

This is what is listed on the travel.state.gov website, but I guess I'm just not sure what an alias is...
"National Police Certificates based on fingerprints are preferred, but a certificate not based on fingerprints is acceptable if it shows all aliases ever used."

I'm really just asking because of the cost difference, if I can save an extra $100 that's always a win.
Thanks so much!

Oh and @MattWatt and @Mikey Mike your suggestions for getting into the portal worked a treat! Cheers
Australian police certificates:

 Required for each visa applicant aged 16 years or older.

 Required if you have resided in Australia for a minimum of 6 months. Police certificates must

list ALL ALIASES used during or prior to your residence in that country OR be based on

fingerprints. When applying for an Australian police certificate, be sure to note that your

request is for the purpose of immigration and for a “Complete Disclosure”.

 Valid for 12 months and must be valid when entering the U.S.

As long as you have your aliases/previous names covered, no need for finger prints

Given that my number has now gone current, can reasonably expect a 2nd NL this week? How long does it usually take? My only other question would be for any New Zealander here, where did you go for your medical, how much did it cost and what exactly do they do during the medical?

Your 2NL is there now!

With the police check, I don't think any of the OC2015 has gotten the finger print one. It's the basic non finger print check one BUT make sure you select Code 33 when you apply for it. Code 35 is a standard check that excludes spent convictions. Code 33 is a full disclosure check that includes spent and unspent and that's what they are after.

Last edited:
Hi,
I am currently living in the U.S on an E3 visa and will be flying to Sydney to attend my August diversity visa interview. I am having many problems getting all my documentation in time prior to my departure!
Problem 1: My medical examination is the day after my interview. This was the ONLY appointment available. I land in Australia the day before my interview. I think this will be okay given I live far away from a Sydney civil physician?
Problem 2: I require a U.S police certificate given that I have lived here for over 12 months. I was just told this will not be ready until the day after my interview also.
Will proof that all this documentation is indeed coming be sufficient? Will I get denied on the spot? I don't know whether I should try and reschedule my visa interview, but I am extremely worried!

I did my medical two days after my interview, and I got the impression from the Sydney Consulate that it's pretty common. I have a friend who did the same. Of course your mileage may vary, best to check with the Consulate.

It is about the DV interview process, in terms of the public charge requirement. Maybe that's why they asked you as well as your wife about academics by the way, does your wife work?
@SusieQQQ Hi Susie and thanks for your clarification, and also @Sm1smom ... yes we are both international company directors / CEOs - perhaps because we are also (business) partners as well as (family) partners they were just making sure we we not 2-buck shelf scam companies??? But that is why we also brought a stack of stuff from our accountants, including our USA one. @reeko was there at the same time - hope he can justify we donned the suit and tie, and my wife was in her black corporate power outfit, and even the kids managed to half dress ok, so maybe they were following the rule books for us. All good anyway. I like that word ECLECTIC - it actually is a great word for a mix of DV potential Aussies at the interview time. Well described. :)

Finally appointment day 8 Sep...
I do have a question:
The 2NL shows just the name of the selected or all applicants names?

Ok probably just being on the overly cautious side. But I'd rather be safe than sorry. Had my medical the other day and received all my paperwork back from the doctor today via mail. It's all sealed in a yellow envelope and X-ray in another envelope. Do I just hand this over to the consulate at my interview in 2 weeks. Or can I at least open it and have a look at it all first? Surely it's not like the yellow envelope you give at POE after your interview.