• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Oceania winners

Given that my number has now gone current, can reasonably expect a 2nd NL this week? How long does it usually take? My only other question would be for any New Zealander here, where did you go for your medical, how much did it cost and what exactly do they do during the medical?

Has anyone been asked for their financial records or I-134 during their interview at the Sydney US Consulate General?
It depends a bit on your claim basis for application - academic or experience. We brought all our accountant letters for our companies, and other bank items, (with photocopies), and handed them in at interview, as they were relevant to our experience.

However I think they only glanced at the top of the piles, and flipped through. They handed back one IRS item to us - can't remember what it was but they didn't need it.

If you were applying on basics of only academics then it is unlikely they would need to go that far with your experience, unless doubt existed. As has been mentioned in an earlier post by @Britsimon - KISS - keep it super simple - make it easy for the staff to tick the check boxes - (keep what you don't need separate, but just in case you are asked you can produce it).

Interestingly, with wife as PA (DV1) , I didn't expect to have my (DV2) academics checked, but they did. I think the basis was that ? do these applicants not just have the experience to do what they say they can do, but also the academics behind the experience. But I think in an OC pool / consulate group we were probably more exceptions to the rule, based on the brevity of interviews everyone posts. ... Stick to KISS.

It depends a bit on your claim basis for application - academic or experience. We brought all our accountant letters for our companies, and other bank items, (with photocopies), and handed them in at interview, as they were relevant to our experience.

However I think they only glanced at the top of the piles, and flipped through. They handed back one IRS item to us - can't remember what it was but they didn't need it.

If you were applying on basics of only academics then it is unlikely they would need to go that far with your experience, unless doubt existed. As has been mentioned in an earlier post by @Britsimon - KISS - keep it super simple - make it easy for the staff to tick the check boxes - (keep what you don't need separate, but just in case you are asked you can produce it).

Interestingly, with wife as PA (DV1) , I didn't expect to have my (DV2) academics checked, but they did. I think the basis was that ? do these applicants not just have the experience to do what they say they can do, but also the academics behind the experience. But I think in an OC pool / consulate group we were probably more exceptions to the rule, based on the brevity of interviews everyone posts. ... Stick to KISS.

The question related to the presentation of an I-134 being asked by @ndubbs doesnt have anything to do with whether one is applying based on work experience or not as you've described above.

The question related to the presentation of an I-134 being asked by @ndubbs doesnt have anything to do with whether one is applying based on work experience or not as you've described above.
My Yr 12, undergrad and post grad academic transcripts are the basis for my DV qualification as I haven't been in a position that qualifies through O*Net , even though as a professional actor I mistakenly filled in the DS-260 that I was in a job that required 2 years experience. (Which it does to be any good...but you cant really argue with the system in this case). This is something I'm going to clear up at the interview. I only ask as I have an inheritance that will be clearing by the end of August that wont be in my account until then (my interview is August 4). I do however have a copy of the will and a spreadsheet with the breakdown of what I'll be receiving and dates of settlement etc from the executor. I'm hoping that will be enough, as both the checklist from the consulate and the listed required documents on their website doesn't mention an I-134 or financial records as being required for DV applicants. @martinskypemartin

Last edited:
@ndubbs - sorry about that - thought when you mentioned financials it was about the DV interview process, as this is a DV thread.

It is about the DV interview process, in terms of the public charge requirement. Maybe that's why they asked you as well as your wife about academics by the way, does your wife work?

My Yr 12, undergrad and post grad academic transcripts are the basis for my DV qualification as I haven't been in a position that qualifies through O*Net , even though as a professional actor I mistakenly filled in the DS-260 that I was in a job that required 2 years experience. (Which it does to be any good...but you cant really argue with the system in this case). This is something I'm going to clear up at the interview. I only ask as I have an inheritance that will be clearing by the end of August that wont be in my account until then (my interview is August 4). I do however have a copy of the will and a spreadsheet with the breakdown of what I'll be receiving and dates of settlement etc from the executor. I'm hoping that will be enough, as both the checklist from the consulate and the listed required documents on their website doesn't mention an I-134 or financial records as being required for DV applicants. @martinskypemartin

Very few embassies list anything about presenting financial information in their pre-interview checklists, and fewer still specifically mention the I-134. Frankly, those that do specifically mention it or require it, should not be doing do. I am not saying financial information shouldn't be required, I am saying the I-134 shouldn't be required as it is at some embassies. The I-134 is just one of the ways you can satisfy the financial proof question.

This is about standard immigration law (which does apply to DV cases) which requires the CO to consider whether the applicants will become a public charge. Those concerns could be raised by a concern over finances, or a selectee that has little or no life/work experience, or even some aspects of the medical report. Some embassies seem to have a very informal approach to assessing this aspect, and some are very strict. Sydney appears to be doing it "right", in my opinion. So, the typical applicant might turn up well dressed, well educated and with some good working experience. It is obvious they can make a go of it - and whilst I would recommend they carry some financial proof, it probably won't be requested or scrutinized too much. On the other hand if someone turned up in Sydney with an education that just passes the requirement, and a less than stellar employment record, that selectee might expect more questioning about what they plan to do in the USA and how they will finance the move.

So - as well as KISS (which I learned as "Keep it simple, stupid!") I would also say take a few bits of proof of savings, list of assets you expect to liquidate and be ready to answer the questions that may be thrown at you. You never know when the CO might be in a crappy mood or its their first day on the job and they are doing it by the book.

Just to add to what Simon says, because current U.S. immigration avenues are overwhelmingly family-based and because family members do have to actually "sponsor" through an AOS, the public charge requirement in most cases is easily determined. It's different for DV and that is why it is so eclectic as well, because it's necessarily situation dependent. I'd think for example that a 65-year-old couple in ill health with $200,000 in assets is more likely to be rejected than a 23-year old IT grad who has barely scraped $10,000 together.

Very few embassies list anything about presenting financial information in their pre-interview checklists, and fewer still specifically mention the I-134. Frankly, those that do specifically mention it or require it, should not be doing do. I am not saying financial information shouldn't be required, I am saying the I-134 shouldn't be required as it is at some embassies. The I-134 is just one of the ways you can satisfy the financial proof question.

This is about standard immigration law (which does apply to DV cases) which requires the CO to consider whether the applicants will become a public charge. Those concerns could be raised by a concern over finances, or a selectee that has little or no life/work experience, or even some aspects of the medical report. Some embassies seem to have a very informal approach to assessing this aspect, and some are very strict. Sydney appears to be doing it "right", in my opinion. So, the typical applicant might turn up well dressed, well educated and with some good working experience. It is obvious they can make a go of it - and whilst I would recommend they carry some financial proof, it probably won't be requested or scrutinized too much. On the other hand if someone turned up in Sydney with an education that just passes the requirement, and a less than stellar employment record, that selectee might expect more questioning about what they plan to do in the USA and how they will finance the move.

So - as well as KISS (which I learned as "Keep it simple, stupid!") I would also say take a few bits of proof of savings, list of assets you expect to liquidate and be ready to answer the questions that may be thrown at you. You never know when the CO might be in a crappy mood or its their first day on the job and they are doing it by the book.
It all seems very fluid, but as it will be me and my wife, both of us with post-graduate educations, over 15 years solid work experience and under the age of 35 I'll just cobble together what I already have, as it looks as though that will more than cover what is required, even though my assets wont be accessible till after the interview. Thanks @Britsimon and @SusieQQQ

@ndubbs - sorry about that - thought when you mentioned financials it was about the DV interview process, as this is a DV thread.

Yes, it is about the DV interview process, I'm basically saying your explanation about the requirement to present an I-134 being tied to when one applies based on work experience and not applicable to someone qualifying based on educational basis isn't accurate.

Looks like both Susie and Simon have adequately addressed your concerns here.

Hi,
I am currently living in the U.S on an E3 visa and will be flying to Sydney to attend my August diversity visa interview. I am having many problems getting all my documentation in time prior to my departure!
Problem 1: My medical examination is the day after my interview. This was the ONLY appointment available. I land in Australia the day before my interview. I think this will be okay given I live far away from a Sydney civil physician?
Problem 2: I require a U.S police certificate given that I have lived here for over 12 months. I was just told this will not be ready until the day after my interview also.
Will proof that all this documentation is indeed coming be sufficient? Will I get denied on the spot? I don't know whether I should try and reschedule my visa interview, but I am extremely worried!

Hi,
I am currently living in the U.S on an E3 visa and will be flying to Sydney to attend my August diversity visa interview. I am having many problems getting all my documentation in time prior to my departure!
Problem 1: My medical examination is the day after my interview. This was the ONLY appointment available. I land in Australia the day before my interview. I think this will be okay given I live far away from a Sydney civil physician?
Problem 2: I require a U.S police certificate given that I have lived here for over 12 months. I was just told this will not be ready until the day after my interview also.
Will proof that all this documentation is indeed coming be sufficient? Will I get denied on the spot? I don't know whether I should try and reschedule my visa interview, but I am extremely worried!

- The medical exam is typically done before the interview. Most embassies will not proceed with the interview when the medical exam hasn't been done. I however don't know if the Sydney embassy may be lenient enough for you to proceed with the interview and place you on AP pending the submission of the medical exam. You might want to contact the embassy ahead of time about this.

- PCC from the U.S. is not required, so that's not even something you need to bother about.

- The medical exam is typically done before the interview. Most embassies will not proceed with the interview when the medical exam hasn't been done. I however don't know if the Sydney embassy may be lenient enough for you to proceed with the interview and place you on AP pending the submission of the medical exam. You might want to contact the embassy ahead of time about this.

- PCC from the U.S. is not required, so that's not even something you need to bother about.

Unfortunately I do need to bother about the U.S police certificate as it is a requirement to provide one for anywhere you have lived for over 12 months. Stressful!

Unfortunately I do need to bother about the U.S police certificate as it is a requirement to provide one for anywhere you have lived for over 12 months. Stressful!

No, it's not. The instructions state clearly no PCC is required for residence in the U.S.:

Note: Present and former residents of the United States should NOT obtain any police certificates covering their residence in the United States.
http://travel.state.gov/content/vis...re-selected/prepare-supporting-documents.html

Hi everyone,

I wouldn't normally post something on the main forum, but it's getting to the pointy end of the process for me and I would like to check off my list of documents with you guys. :)

interview scheduled for late August, earlier than I expected!! I got the second NL today, so have to book my medical as soon as it's AM in Australian. (I currently live in NYC on my second e3 visa).

I've followed all the instructions and there were really only 4 documents that I had to get, which doesn't seem like much so it's making me nervous.. (and obviously all the other bits and pieces required for interview day photos /envelope etc.. Not my first rodeo with that..)

I'd like to check off the documents that I have gathered:

1. birth Certificate. ( this is a formal extract- certainly not the one I was issued at my birth, but an extract that I have been using for years, that we got FROM Births, Deaths, and Marriages- does that count as the sufficient?

2. Police certificate from the AFP that covers all of AU- code 33 or whatever the immigration one is) I have lived in Canberra and Victoria most of my life in AU. The police check says it covers all of AU, so I don't need them for individual states?

3. High school certificate

4. Medical - to be scheduled . ( I don't have a full medical history or immunization history- but was told this is ok as they will just give me all the shots I need.

5. Copy of degree- I know it's been said that this is not required, but on the most recent embassy instructions, it says this can be brought instead of the high school certificate. ( taking it anyway).

My main concerns are my Birth Certificate and lack of medical history/ immunization history ..

Any help / feedback would be wonderful!!

Steph.

Last edited:
No, you do not! A U.S. PCC is not required!!
Phew. This is great to hear! My confusion and worry stemmed as I had been following the instructions sent to me from the Sydney Consulate stating:
Police certificates are also required from all countries where the applicant lived for more than twelve months after the age of 16.

Check this site with your receipt number @CBDK from when you paid the $165 fee.

https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/landing.do

Hmmm.

When I check my receipt number I get the error message: "My Case Status does not recognize the receipt number entered. Please check your receipt number and try again. If you need further assistance, please call the National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283."

Yes, I paid the fee and am referring to the correct Case Receipt Notice - I've already been processed/stamped/and am working/living in the US!

I called them and they said that sometimes it takes up to 30 days for anything to show up using this system - It's been 23 days so far - so hopefully shows up in the next week or so....