• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 AOS Only

Hello Mom,

How have you been and thank you for your depandability.

I want to be clear on one issue based on inquiries made by others on this forum. I understand that as AOSers, after we fill in DS 260, the subsequent steps to follow is as per the spreadsheat process. At what point do we have to contact USIC? When and for what reasons? My undesrtanding from the explanations so far is we only show up during the interview stage before the IO.. Mom we really need help. Thank you.

I'm not sure what you mean about having to contact USICS. If you entered the US legally, haven't violated your admitted status, there's no need to contact USCIS to find out if you're eligible to process AOS. You submit your AOS package when your CN becomes current, you show up for your biometric appointment once USCIS sets up the appointment and sends you the appointment letter, following that you show up for your interview once your FO sets that up also and send you the IL.

Hello mom,

Thank you very much for your answer. Just to clarify, when I applied for my political asylum, my visa was current! It was before I overstayed it. My visa expired in January of 2015, which was after I applied for DV lottery but before I submitted DS-260. It's now been two months since I submitted my DS-260 and still no 2NL. Does this make me eligible to apply for AOS? And if yes, do I just proceed with AOS not waiting for 2NL?

Thank you again!!!!

Hello mom,

Thank you very much for your answer. Just to clarify, when I applied for my political asylum, my visa was current! It was before I overstayed it. My visa expired in January of 2015, which was after I applied for DV lottery but before I submitted DS-260. It's now been two months since I submitted my DS-260 and still no 2NL. Does this make me eligible to apply for AOS? And if yes, do I just proceed with AOS not waiting for 2NL?

Thank you again!!!!

Okay, let's make sure we're both on the same page before we move on to what the next step should be. For now, forget about when you applied for the DV2016 lottery, forget about when you submitted your DS-260 form. Let's focus on the following questions please:

1. When did you enter the U.S.?
2. In which NIV category did you enter?
3. What was the duration of stay granted in your I-94? (Not the expiration date of your visa, that's irrelevant for now)
4. When did you submit your asylum petition?
5. When did you receive the NOA for the asylum petition - actually that should be what's the date in the NOA for the petition from USCIS?

We really can't proceed any further without the answers to these questions.

Hello all,

I know mom has been emphasizing on the fact that for the DV-2016, we better wait till October 1st (assuming the visa number is current on october) and then submit the AOS package. Also, it has been mentioned that if FO denies the application because of the early filing, we can resubmit the package when the number is up. I was thinking it might be worth trying to submit the package and just wanted to know you all's ideas about it. Sometimes, something inside you says "you gotta take the risk" but I am not sure how serious I should take that voice!!
According to the 2015 and 2014 table, we had people filing both on October and September for Oct current visa numbers. A discussion about the pros and cons might help to clear up the situation assuming that we will be in the beginning of a FY and the situation can be a whole lot different when you are filing in the middle of FY. Has anyone had/heard anything about other cases? Any numbers or stats about the number of people denied as a result of early filing? I will probably post a similar question in the AOS-2015 page as they are way ahead of us and can have more experience with the case.

Thanks.

Hello all,

I know mom has been emphasizing on the fact that for the DV-2016, we better wait till October 1st (assuming the visa number is current on october) and then submit the AOS package. Also, it has been mentioned that if FO denies the application because of the early filing, we can resubmit the package when the number is up. I was thinking it might be worth trying to submit the package and just wanted to know you all's ideas about it. Sometimes, something inside you says "you gotta take the risk" but I am not sure how serious I should take that voice!!
According to the 2015 and 2014 table, we had people filing both on October and September for Oct current visa numbers. A discussion about the pros and cons might help to clear up the situation assuming that we will be in the beginning of a FY and the situation can be a whole lot different when you are filing in the middle of FY. Has anyone had/heard anything about other cases? Any numbers or stats about the number of people denied as a result of early filing? I will probably post a similar question in the AOS-2015 page as they are way ahead of us and can have more experience with the case.

Thanks.

The policy memo specifically describes filing before the start of the year as being ok, however in practice, some cases get rejected. However, some cases get rejected wrongly throughout the year. So, early filing is a bit of a gamble. If you have some reason for rushing, and want to take the gamble, do it at least a month before October, so that if the reject it you have the paperwork back to resubmit for October 1. Also make sure you have the policy memo on to, with the early filing info highlighted. I wrote something like "approved early filing, do not reject" in highlighter pen at the top of the memo.

The policy memo specifically describes filing before the start of the year as being ok, however in practice, some cases get rejected. However, some cases get rejected wrongly throughout the year. So, early filing is a bit of a gamble. If you have some reason for rushing, and want to take the gamble, do it at least a month before October, so that if the reject it you have the paperwork back to resubmit for October 1. Also make sure you have the policy memo on to, with the early filing info highlighted. I wrote something like "approved early filing, do not reject" in highlighter pen at the top of the memo.
Thanks Birtsimon. Based on your experience and what you have heard/seen since that memo has come out, how frequent or possible would that be to have FO rejecting the case because of early filing? I guess if I decide to take the risk, I will probably file my package on mid/late August after the Bulletin comes out.

Thanks Birtsimon. Based on your experience and what you have heard/seen since that memo has come out, how frequent or possible would that be to have FO rejecting the case because of early filing? I guess if I decide to take the risk, I will probably file my package on mid/late August after the Bulletin comes out.

I don't know for sure - too few cases to measure. But it comes down to whether you need that extra few weeks. Is it critical for you? Would it harm your case to wait?

I don't know for sure - too few cases to measure. But it comes down to whether you need that extra few weeks. Is it critical for you? Would it harm your case to wait?
wellll, technically a few extra weeks would not hurt or be critical for me other than the fact that every one wants to finish this process as soon as possible plus if you are close to graduation, having a GC in hand can help to take a lot of burden out. Also, I was thinking, based on the discussions in these forums, there are a lot of occasions in which the process drags for a few extra months and having your case filed early will buy you some time not to panic because someone has not requested your files to be sent to some place or so!! So, I was thinking if the only risk of early filing is being rejected and given the opportunity to file your case on its time (plus the money which is pain!) and if does not have any other negative impact on your case, it might be an option to consider. Not because we dont care about money (I definitely do as I am student), because one just wants to get rid of this mind-occupying stressful process! You see what I am talking about.

wellll, technically a few extra weeks would not hurt or be critical for me other than the fact that every one wants to finish this process as soon as possible plus if you are close to graduation, having a GC in hand can help to take a lot of burden out. Also, I was thinking, based on the discussions in these forums, there are a lot of occasions in which the process drags for a few extra months and having your case filed early will buy you some time not to panic because someone has not requested your files to be sent to some place or so!! So, I was thinking if the only risk of early filing is being rejected and given the opportunity to file your case on its time (plus the money which is pain!) and if does not have any other negative impact on your case, it might be an option to consider. Not because we dont care about money (I definitely do as I am student), because one just wants to get rid of this mind-occupying stressful process! You see what I am talking about.

So, I would say do not file early, you are just adding to the stress level for no real reason.

It's been two months now since I submit my DS260 and I still have not received a 2NL back via email - should I be worried? My case number should become current in the first batch (OCxxxx1xx) - should I go ahead and start gathering all my paperwork and have my medical, or should I wait for my 2NL before I invest time and $ into this? Thank you!

It's been two months now since I submit my DS260 and I still have not received a 2NL back via email - should I be worried? My case number should become current in the first batch (OCxxxx1xx) - should I go ahead and start gathering all my paperwork and have my medical, or should I wait for my 2NL before I invest time and $ into this? Thank you!
Lynnie11, I am in a similar situation and actually have not seen anyone mentioning about receiving 2NL yet (at least in this thread), so no worries.

Start gathering paperwork if you expect an early interviews, but the 2NLs won't go out until 1-2 weeks after the visa bulletin showing your number to be current has been published. For October interviews, this will be the bulletin published around 10 August.
Don't do the medical until you have your interview date though - most doctors won't do them without the 2NL anyway.

Start gathering paperwork if you expect an early interviews, but the 2NLs won't go out until 1-2 weeks after the visa bulletin showing your number to be current has been published. For October interviews, this will be the bulletin published around 10 August.
Don't do the medical until you have your interview date though - most doctors won't do them without the 2NL anyway.

Not applicable to AOSers.

- No need to be worried.
- You don't need the 2NL to start the background process. With such a low CN, no reason to delay on gathering the required paper work.

Hi Sm1smom
We're trying to pay the ds-260 fee. First question, must we send 3 different checks, money orders or we only need one?
Secondly,paying online is it quicker to receive a receipt or is all the same.
Thanks

Hi everyone, first this thread is so helpful. thank you so much mom and all of you.
I have some questions below.

My husband ( we married after my husband got selected ) got selected and we both submitted DS-260 already. We chose AOS since we both in the states now with F1 visa.
Our case number is AS 12xx.we thought this number is safe enough to take interview here, so we decided to do AOS. Our I-20 expires next year.
But we had plan to visit our home country in end of October 30-November 05. And that tickets are non refundable. We thought it's ok to just cancel it because GC is more important, but after I researched a lot I found out we might be able to change our interview date. If so, do you think we can take it that time? We expect our number will be current in October, so if we can change it I would love to change AOS to CP. But do you think it's hard to change AOS to CP after I submit DS-260?

And I have more questions... Sorry. If I take interview in our country and what if we will be denied? If we will, We can't re-enter US with F1 visa? Our F1 visa will expire 2017. But if I take interview, my F1 visa will be cancelled?

I'm F1 visa student, but I was working with OPT visa for a couple of month. I just realized I didn't mention it on DS-260. Is it big deal? If it is, I will ask them to unlock it. Or it's not big deal since short time and I'm spouse?

Last question. We can't have separate family name in our country. Even though my passport is my old name when I renew it ( when is 10 year from now ) my last name will change. So do I should've put my new last name on DS-260? I was thinking since we can have separate last name in here, I was going to keep use my old last name here. But is it not good since husband and wife should be same last name in our country?

Sorry for long message. Thank you so much in advance!

Hi Sm1smom
We're trying to pay the ds-260 fee. First question, must we send 3 different checks, money orders or we only need one?
Secondly,paying online is it quicker to receive a receipt or is all the same.
Thanks

There's no DS-260 fee involved with the DV process. If you're referring to the $330 DV administrative fee, this can only be mailed in AFAIK and the payment can be made with a single Money Order or Cashiers Check.