• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

All Ethiopian 2015 DV Winners Meet Here!

Hi @amelekuru, congratulations again and appreciate your nice narration. As it will be helpful for the singles in the forum, can you please tell us what you answered to the questions below:

co:do you have a girl friend
me:....
co:do you intend to marry before you go to America
me:.....

Cheers!
yea i'd also like to know the response to these questions. @ amelekuru. Thanks in advance.
The answer is clear it should be the truth !

Hi @amelekuru, congratulations again and appreciate your nice narration. As it will be helpful for the singles in the forum, can you please tell us what you answered to the questions below:

Cheers!

yea i'd also like to know the response to these questions. @ amelekuru. Thanks in advance.

What a strange thing to ask him. You should always tell the truth.

The answer is clear it should be the truth !
What a strange thing to ask him. You should always tell the truth.
Ha ha .... Ok @ZGREAT and @SusieQQQ, I understand what you both mean and I also believe in telling the truth. My point was on one hand @biah has no reason to hide the response to this question (as his forum name is already anonymous). On the other hand, if the YES answer to this question is tolerable by the CO, this information will help single dv winners to complete their marriages that are already in plan before the travel and then the spouse can follow later on. By the way I was asked by a dv winner not in this forum (which I met at the embassy on one of those days we have beeb at the embassy) if she can get married before leaving for the US and I couldn't answer the question and I told her to ask the CO after she is granted a visa. As I don't know her I couldn't verify the response she got. Hope I presented my point clearly. For example, what would you advise to the girl I talked about if it was you?
Cheers!!

Ha ha .... Ok @ZGREAT and @SusieQQQ, I understand what you both mean and I also believe in telling the truth. My point was on one hand @biah has no reason to hide the response to this question (as his forum name is already anonymous). On the other hand, if the YES answer to this question is tolerable by the CO, this information will help single dv winners to complete their marriages that are already in plan before the travel and then the spouse can follow later on. By the way I was asked by a dv winner not in this forum (which I met at the embassy on one of those days we have beeb at the embassy) if she can get married before leaving for the US and I couldn't answer the question and I told her to ask the CO after she is granted a visa. As I don't know her I couldn't verify the response she got. Hope I presented my point clearly. For example, what would you advise to the girl I talked about if it was you?
Cheers!!

Most people do not put the responses on questions when they report interviews. I don't think you need to read anything suspicious into it, clearly the second question implies he does have a girlfriend.

As to your question, anyone can get married anytime they want, you know? It's up to the applicant to then prove to the consulate that the marriage is a genuine one and not entered into purely to get a green card.

Cheers!
my answer to the above questions was

yes, i do have a girl friend and i do not intend to marry now, respectively

tell to the co just the truth as ZGREAT and SusieQQQ says

Last edited:
list of documents that needs to presented at the embassy during the interview are mentioned as follow (based on my experience)

Mandatory
1. passport
2. 2 photos (5cmX5cm)
3. grade 10 and 12 national exam certificates (authenticated)
4. grade 10 and 12 transcripts
5. birth certificate (with translation, if it is written in languages other than English)
6. police clearance paper
7. medical confirmation letter which you received from the medical center that you have conducted your examination
8. DHL service registration slip (without it you will not get interviewed, tough you will get access to the embassy)
optional
8. work experience
9. degree certificates

Most people do not put the responses on questions when they report interviews. I don't think you need to read anything suspicious into it, clearly the second question implies he does have a girlfriend.

As to your question, anyone can get married anytime they want, you know? It's up to the applicant to then prove to the consulate that the marriage is a genuine one and not entered into purely to get a green card.
Thanks @SusieQQQ, got it now. But but. I doubt about "anyone can get married anytime they want" without compromising the privilege. My own experience is that my daughter who just turned 18 during the interview was asked (forced) to sign an agreement form not to get married before traveling to the US (if she say no, she wouldn't get the visa). I asked this question by the time and @Britsimon answered me why this happened.

Thanks @SusieQQQ, got it now. But but. I doubt about "anyone can get married anytime they want" without compromising the privilege. My own experience is that my daughter who just turned 18 during the interview was asked (forced) to sign an agreement form not to get married before traveling to the US (if she say no, she wouldn't get the visa). I asked this question by the time and @Britsimon answered me why this happened.

I believe Susie's response specifically has to do with the PA and it is indeed correct. The situation with your daughter has to do with regards to the fact that she's a derivative. They definitely frown upon derivatives rushing off to get married and bestowing a derivative status on others too.

It obviously doesn't mean your daughter is permanently prevented from getting married. She can, the very day she arrives in the US as a matter of fact, she will then have to go through the route of sponsoring the spouse.

I believe Susie's response specifically has to do with the PA and it is indeed correct. The situation with your daughter has to do with regards to the fact that she's a derivative. They definitely frown upon derivatives rushing off to get married and bestowing a derivative status on others too.

It obviously doesn't mean your daughter is permanently prevented from getting married. She can, the very day she arrives in the US as a matter of fact, she will then have to go through the route of sponsoring the spouse.

Thanks @Sm1smom, my involvement on this topic is simply for curiosity and above all to seek some sort of an in depth insight on the topic because I feel that many single DV winners here in Ethiopia have this question in the back of their mind and sometimes they scarify their relationship due to DV (the french proverb "loin des yeux loin du coeur" may work - similar proverb in Amharic is "Ke'ayin Yerak Klib Yirikal). Mom, of course the issue relating to my daughter after entering US is obvious. By the way my daughter (and I for that matter) have never thought of marriage at this age but I simply brought her case for discussion because the CO automatically asked her to fill the form looking at her age and I was initially shocked while reading the form (thinking of the human right aspect of it) but later on I understood the reason.

That is because your daughter would technically not be a "child" anymore if she got married and then would no longer be eligible for derivative status on your visa. The immigration definition of "child" is under 21 and unmarried. The CO was ensuring she would remain eligible as a derivative.
I was answering in terms of what a principal applicant can do. Different situation.

Dear @MB1xxx and @ZGREAT
After our case status changed to issuef , how many days will take to collect visa and dv package from dhl office?
Is the embassy the one who will sent a mail or from dhl service ?

Here is the sample email ; after these email you will receive another email which will notify about the arrival of your package at DHL

ሰላም @rolex123
በAddis Ababa የሚገኘው የአሜሪካ የቆንስላ ክፍል ከቪዛ
ማመልከቻዎችዎ ጋር የተያያዙ ሰነዶችዎን ለፖስታ አገልግሎት ሰጪያችን -
DHL አስረክቧል። ሰነዶችዎ በምዝገባዎ ወቅት ለመረጡት የፖስታ
አገልግሎት ስፍራ እየተላኩ ነው። ይህ መልዕክት በተላከልዎ በአማካይ
ከአንድ ወይንም ከሁለት የስራ ቀናት በኋላ ሰነዶችዎን ለማግኘት ይችላሉ።
የዚህን እሽግ ሂደት በሚከተለው አድራሻ መከታተል ይችላሉ
http://www.dhlusa.com/content/us/en/express/tracking.shtml?brand=DHL&AWB=

ተመላሽ ሰነድ(ዶች) ለመቀበል ስለሚያስፈልገው መታወቂያ እባክዎ በ
https://ais.usvisa-info.com/am-ET/niv/information/
courier ላይ ያለውን መረጃ ይመልከቱ።
በፋይሉ ላይ ያለን መረጃ የሚከተለው ነው፥
የአመልካች ስም rolex123
የፖስፖርት ቁጥር፥ EP******
ከሰላምታ ጋር፣
የሲ.ኤስ.ሲ. የቀጠሮና የመረጃ አገልገሎት ቡድን
application to our courier DHL. The document is being
sent via the courier option you selected at registration.
The tracking number for the package is On average, it takes one to two business days for the
shipment to be available from the time you receive this
notice.
You may track the progress of this shipment at http://
www.dhl-usa.com/content/us/en/express/
tracking.shtml?brand=DHL&AWB
For a list of identification required to receive returned
document(s), please refer to the information at https://
ais.usvisa-info.com/en-ET/niv/information/courier
The data we have on file is:
Applicant Name:
Passport Number:
Best regards,
The CSC Visa Appointment and Information Service Team

Dear @MB1xxx and @ZGREAT
After our case status changed to issuef , how many days will take to collect visa and dv package from dhl office?
Is the embassy the one who will sent a mail or from dhl service ?

Last edited:
Here is the sample email ; after these email you will receive another email which will notify about the arrival of your package at DHL

ሰላም @rolex123
በAddis Ababa የሚገኘው የአሜሪካ የቆንስላ ክፍል ከቪዛ
ማመልከቻዎችዎ ጋር የተያያዙ ሰነዶችዎን ለፖስታ አገልግሎት ሰጪያችን -
DHL አስረክቧል። ሰነዶችዎ በምዝገባዎ ወቅት ለመረጡት የፖስታ
አገልግሎት ስፍራ እየተላኩ ነው። ይህ መልዕክት በተላከልዎ በአማካይ
ከአንድ ወይንም ከሁለት የስራ ቀናት በኋላ ሰነዶችዎን ለማግኘት ይችላሉ።
የዚህን እሽግ ሂደት በሚከተለው አድራሻ መከታተል ይችላሉ
http://www.dhlusa.com/content/us/en/express/tracking.shtml?brand=DHL&AWB=

ተመላሽ ሰነድ(ዶች) ለመቀበል ስለሚያስፈልገው መታወቂያ እባክዎ በ
https://ais.usvisa-info.com/am-ET/niv/information/
courier ላይ ያለውን መረጃ ይመልከቱ።
በፋይሉ ላይ ያለን መረጃ የሚከተለው ነው፥
የአመልካች ስም rolex123
የፖስፖርት ቁጥር፥ EP******
ከሰላምታ ጋር፣
የሲ.ኤስ.ሲ. የቀጠሮና የመረጃ አገልገሎት ቡድን
application to our courier DHL. The document is being
sent via the courier option you selected at registration.
The tracking number for the package is On average, it takes one to two business days for the
shipment to be available from the time you receive this
notice.
You may track the progress of this shipment at http://
www.dhl-usa.com/content/us/en/express/
tracking.shtml?brand=DHL&AWB
For a list of identification required to receive returned
document(s), please refer to the information at https://
ais.usvisa-info.com/en-ET/niv/information/courier
The data we have on file is:
Applicant Name:
Passport Number:
Best regards,
The CSC Visa Appointment and Information Service Team

i was pregnant and i gave birth after i send D-60 .now i receive my second paper what shall i do.can i register my child during interview he is 4 Month old?

i was pregnant and i gave birth after i send D-60 .now i receive my second paper what shall i do.can i register my child during interview he is 4 Month old?

You really ought to have contacted KCC to unlock your DS form for you to add the baby after putting to bed. Anyway, it's not too late, below are the responses given to someone in a similar situation. Visit the embassy just like @biah did prior to going for the scheduled interview:

Selam I faced the same problem like yours. What you should do is take the 2NL, Child's birth certificate and passport, your passport to the US Embassy Monday-Thursday at 11 am (5 local time) (they wont let you in if you come before 11) tell them that you gave birth after you won the DV lottery and you want your child to be included in the beneficiary list they will check your child's birth certificate and will give you a new letter that looks like the 2NL it will probably take you 15 minute. As for the DS-260 you can add the child for more info you can ask them at the embassy.

Yes @Ebro's experience may be helpful, but I believe the suggestion by @biah based on his own experience is much more superior and much more helpful! If it's possible to get the new baby's name added on the 2NL prior to the interview, it is better to do so. The baby's medical gets to be completed at the same time with the rest of the family prior to the interview and there wouldn't be any need for the family to be asked to come back on another day to complete the interview.

So @selam90, I suggest you follow the directive posted above by @biah.

[ @biah and @Sm1smom] tnx u guys.
what i want to ask is i don't want to take my baby with me to us not to embassy so why i need to to have passport to the baby.i only want that the embassy knows this baby is mine and registered under beneficiaries. i don't want to take him to america know.