• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Oceania winners

We are moving to Dallas, Tx (McKinney area) people are super nice, cost of living cheap, direct flight back to Australia (if needed), good schools, homes cheap (when we decide to buy), good business/manufacturing hub (for hubby), good medical hub (for me) ...we are pretty excited :) the only thing that turns me off is the weather (thought its been pretty good this winter).

The CFO of a company I recently worked at lived in McKinney and he loved it. I'm generally looking at towns that are smaller but researching everything with commuting distance of Dallas. I've been torn about the weather as it's not that different to our Summers. We spent about a month in Texas (2012) and was told the previous Summer they had 60 consecutive days over 100. Now that would be tough, the week leading up to Black Saturday where my worm farm worms melted despite keeping ice blocks on the plastic was a hot week. I've read on the City Data forum that it gets so hot in Texas that you can't really go outside and some keep their kids in because it's so unbearable....it would be hotter down South and I'm going to research some more. The positives are the cheap cost of living and lots of houses have nice pools to go with the nice houses.

Apparently Wisconsin is a bit of cheese state. A fair few "award winning" cheeses. Not so much a fan myself though.

Bugger, just checked for our 2NL again and nothing. I was told last time I phoned KCC it would be between the 15-25th Dec... need some patience. Just frustrating to have been current since December and no interview yet. Hopefully it doesn't push everyone else out too much. But we did lodge our DS260 forms on 19 July so those current after us will probably be interviewed first.

I've been planning a 2-3 week trip to The Big Island, Hawaii as we have done Oahu twice now. POE will be a nice experience similar to when we arrived on our B1/B2 Visa in Honolulu last time. We then doing a week in LA doing Universal and Six Flags as we did Disney and Knotts last time. Will probably fly to TX or CO to settle after that. Anyone else planning a holiday on the way to your new place to live?

We're probably doing it differently to everyone else in that we're having an activation holiday and then coming back to settle our affairs, sell the house and then go across.

So we're having a three week activation holiday in the summer and then moving permanently later in 2015. Our activation holiday is going to be a roadtrip through the Souther states, spending more time in NC as that's our current planned place to live.

Reactions: CC1
We're probably doing it differently to everyone else in that we're having an activation holiday and then coming back to settle our affairs, sell the house and then go across.

So we're having a three week activation holiday in the summer and then moving permanently later in 2015. Our activation holiday is going to be a roadtrip through the Souther states, spending more time in NC as that's our current planned place to live.

Just remember your obligations such as tax reporting start the day you activate your GC....

That's what we did, though our activation "holiday" was mainly spending time in the cities on our shortlist.

Yep, what I'm doing! I'm planning to hop on a plane within 3 days after receiving my passport back, stay for a week or so sorting some things out like (hopefully) looking for a place and car and then come back and do final move a month after that.

I know, poor little worms. Surprisingly some survived and we ended up donating them to the kinder before our 7 1/2 month US trip. I'm not going to miss the Bushfire season when we move to the USA, it's a stressful time for us living deep b the bush.

I just can't justify paying for 4 airline tickets doing an an activation trip. Because we spent so long holidaying in the USA, we have seen a lot of places which helps on where to move to.

We're pretty much confirmed for NC but we have a house, cars and other things to sell. Plus I want to get a few things finished career-wise which will help when we get across.

Like you, Gemma, we have four tickets to buy and it will mean buying four tickets twice. But we were planning for a holiday regardless of the Green Card so we're seeing like an extra holiday.

We are doing exactly the same thing, flying into LA in jan, then down to Houston across to New Orleans the Florida and then up the coast through Savannah to North carolina where it looks like we will be settling, what dates are you off?

We are planning a holiday - want to do a bit of an outback adventure in a camper van and then hit up NZ before going to Canada for a few weeks to catch up with family. Not sure when we'll be back in Oz so want to go to all the places I've never been (cairns, Darwin, the Alice, Adelaide and drive the great ocean road). There's other places I haven't been but these top the list. Fingers crossed we can take off end of March

SO received 2NL overnight (10th Feb 2015 @ 8:45am). We may need it as 3.5 weeks later we still don't have our passports back (husbands interview) we keep getting asked for documents that they didn't retain/scan in and they said they are reviewing the case for completeness (!!!). Can't wait to hear who else got their 2NL!!! Yay OC is movin' along...

SO received 2NL overnight (10th Feb 2015 @ 8:45am). We may need it as 3.5 weeks later we still don't have our passports back (husbands interview) we keep getting asked for documents that they didn't retain/scan in and they said they are reviewing the case for completeness (!!!). Can't wait to hear who else got their 2NL!!! Yay OC is movin' along...

THANKYOU!!! I've just checked and our interview is 10 Feb @ 9:15, FINALLY!!!

Funny thing is I'm on the computer looking at the Jetstar sale to Honolulu, now I'm going to book!

Congratulations on your interview Aim!!

I just checked mine, still no go, might have to ring on Tuesday once its past the 15th. The waiting game kills me. Every time I ring up KCC they tell me they are "processing" I would not of thought it would take 5 Months to process electronic forms. :) Lets see what next week brings