• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 KENYA SELECTEES FORUM

Hello mates,

I don't know if this is the right time to ask such a question, maybe its a little too early but I thought advice from you guys might put at ease my wandering mind :p .

I am in my very early twenties, if I do get the visa then going to the USA alone. I'm not married yet but would be getting married in a couple of years time. Understand that it takes 5years to attain citizenship for a green card holder. Can a green card holder get married to a non US citizen between those 5 years ? If yes, then how does the spouse come to the US ? and how long does it take for the spouse to get citizenship also ?

Advices from forum mates are most welcomed, experts ( @Britsimon @Sm1smom @SusieQQQ ) kindly guide me.

Thanks in advance.
This my contribution:The person hosting me-The lady won DV 7 years ago.After she immigrated,she came back after 1 year(in Kenya) got married and went back to the USA.Now it took her 5 years for the petition to go through(2013)when his partner was issued with a VISA. THEY ARE NOW HAPPILY MARRIED AND STAYING TOGETHER.
The bottom line from my understanding is that getting married is your right regardless of how long you have stayed in the USA (Even if you entered American and returned within 6 months before your VISA expires,get married and returned to USA) but the due process-petition has to be followed.

Last edited:
Hello mates,

I don't know if this is the right time to ask such a question, maybe its a little too early but I thought advice from you guys might put at ease my wandering mind :p .

I am in my very early twenties, if I do get the visa then going to the USA alone. I'm not married yet but would be getting married in a couple of years time. Understand that it takes 5years to attain citizenship for a green card holder. Can a green card holder get married to a non US citizen between those 5 years ? If yes, then how does the spouse come to the US ? and how long does it take for the spouse to get citizenship also ?

Advices from forum mates are most welcomed, experts ( @Britsimon @Sm1smom @SusieQQQ ) kindly guide me.

Thanks in advance.
I find Simon's answer satisfactory. Nothing stops your from going back to your country and getting married! After that, you have to return to the US and file a petition for your spouse to immigrate and join you. This however takes some time as Simon indicates (anywhere from 2 to 5 or more years). This is because this spousal visa category has annual numerical limits and there are many applicants. When your spouse's case becomes current, he will then apply for his visa. The most important thing then will be to prove that the marriage is genuine and not for the purpose of a visa, so apart from a marriage certificate, wedding photos, other photos, a joint bank account, children, and affidavits will be necessary to prove it is genuine.
In the main time, you may become a US citizen and that will permit you to change the status of your petition to make it go faster since the category for spouses of US citizens is not numerically limited. That way, the case will become current faster than if you were still a PR.
As an aside, be informed that nothing prevents you from marrying now and adding your husband to your case, if you can prove that it is a genuine relationship, that way, he benefits from your DV.

Hello mates,

Thanks in advance.

- Yes, a GC holder can get married to a non USC or anyone outside of the U.S.

- The GC holder will sponsor the spouse by filing a petition for them. The first step for filing a petition will be the submission of form I-130. Learn more about bringing a spouse to the U.S. by reading the following links:

http://www.uscis.gov/family/family-...pouses-live-united-states-permanent-residents

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/types/family/family-preference.html#22

- A marriage based GC holder can file for citizenship after 3 years of meeting residency requirements.

I find Simon's answer satisfactory. Nothing stops your from going back to your country and getting married! After that, you have to return to the US and file a petition for your spouse to immigrate and join you. This however takes some time as Simon indicates (anywhere from 2 to 5 or more years). This is because this spousal visa category has annual numerical limits and there are many applicants. When your spouse's case becomes current, he will then apply for his visa. The most important thing then will be to prove that the marriage is genuine and not for the purpose of a visa, so apart from a marriage certificate, wedding photos, other photos, a joint bank account, children, and affidavits will be necessary to prove it is genuine.
In the main time, you may become a US citizen and that will permit you to change the status of your petition to make it go faster since the category for spouses of US citizens is not numerically limited. That way, the case will become current faster than if you were still a PR.
As an aside, be informed that nothing prevents you from marrying now and adding your husband to your case, if you can prove that it is a genuine relationship, that way, he benefits from your DV.
Thanks Charisma for your Input-we are all here to learn and be sharpened.

This my contribution:The person hosting me-The lady won DV 7 years ago.After she immigrated,she came back after 1 year(in Kenya) got married and went back to the USA.Now it took her 5 years for the petition to go through(2013)when his partner was issued with a VISA. THEY ARE NOW HAPPILY MARRIED AND STAYING TOGETHER.
The bottom line from my understanding is that getting married is your right regardless of how long you have stayed in the USA (Even if you entered American and returned within 6 months before your VISA expires,get married and returned to USA) but the due process-petition has to be followed.

@Simon Thanks.

Thanks @Charisma

- Yes, a GC holder can get married to a non USC or anyone outside of the U.S.

- The GC holder will sponsor the spouse by filing a petition for them. The first step for filing a petition will be the submission of form I-130. Learn more about bringing a spouse to the U.S. by reading the following links:

http://www.uscis.gov/family/family-...pouses-live-united-states-permanent-residents

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/types/family/family-preference.html#22

- A marriage based GC holder can file for citizenship after 3 years of meeting residency requirements.

@Sm1smom Thank you, shall go through the links.

Hello Team,
1. About marriage thing? What will happen if someone first got visa then arrange for marriage before traveling to the state? Can they still secure GC visa for their spouse before September 30th or they only have to show got married before attending interview :)?

Hello Team,
1. About marriage thing? What will happen if someone first got visa then arrange for marriage before traveling to the state? Can they still secure GC visa for their spouse before September 30th or they only have to show got married before attending interview :)?

When you are issued with the initial visa you have (usually) 6 months to enter the USA (it can be less depending on medicals).In theory you could marry after that time and before entry to the USA and yes - it would be possible to obtain a visa for the spouse that way (assuming that is done before 9/30 and before visas run out). However, marriage is a serious plan that doesn't normally happen over night so the selectee can expect some suspicion and questioning about the genuine nature of the marriage - it would be FAR more sensible for the couple to marry prior to the interview.

If that's the case -then,its advisable you go to the accredited studios..Chariots studios at the Re-insurance plaza (kshs 350/=)or Village Market(kshs 500)
If that's the case -then,its advisable you go to the accredited studios..Chariots studios at the Re-insurance plaza (kshs 350/=)or Village Market(kshs 500)

Thank you Simon. very useful info.

When you are issued with the initial visa you have (usually) 6 months to enter the USA (it can be less depending on medicals).In theory you could marry after that time and before entry to the USA and yes - it would be possible to obtain a visa for the spouse that way (assuming that is done before 9/30 and before visas run out). However, marriage is a serious plan that doesn't normally happen over night so the selectee can expect some suspicion and questioning about the genuine nature of the marriage - it would be FAR more sensible for the couple to marry prior to the interview.

Thanks Britsimon :)

Hello mates,

Thanks in advance.
I did see a similar situation some four years ago. A friend won the GC soon after completing his undergrad studies and he emigrated leaving his girlfriend behind.
Slightly over a year later, he came and married his sweetheart .
The wife arrived in the us last August-2014 and they are now a young family.
Yes it is possible it is possible and I guess nobody would be keen to separate GENUINE soulmates.

@Ms.Dada.
If I may try to distil what mods and lay guys like us have said:
1.The best option is you going ahead with your visa chase and we wish you well.
2. Emigrate and after you have found your footind in the USA, come back and marry your spouse
3. Soonest after the h/moon, fly out and go file a petition for him

Remember not to try the marriage move before your interview ASD you might find it tough proving that it is a GENUINE one.

@Ms.Dada.
If I may try to distil what mods and lay guys like us have said:
1.The best option is you going ahead with your visa chase and we wish you well.
2. Emigrate and after you have found your footind in the USA, come back and marry your spouse
3. Soonest after the h/moon, fly out and go file a petition for him

Remember not to try the marriage move before your interview ASD you might find it tough proving that it is a GENUINE one.

@usken go Thanks. Noted. I too think so its best not to rush into marriage until I'm done with the whole immigration thing.

@usken go Thanks. Noted. I too think so its best not to rush into marriage until I'm done with the whole immigration thing.

If you don't want to rush into it - that is fine.
If you don't marry before simply because you take usken's advice that it will raise suspicions ...that's not a good reason. Because whether you marry before or after you get your green card, you will still need to prove it's a genuine marriage...

If you don't want to rush into it - that is fine.
If you don't marry before simply because you take usken's advice that it will raise suspicions ...that's not a good reason. Because whether you marry before or after you get your green card, you will still need to prove it's a genuine marriage...

@SusieQQQ as I initially mentioned in my first post. I am still very young :D , marriage shall happen once everything else falls in place. (that's why I said in a couple of years)

- No , its not that I'm avoiding any sort of suspicion. Yes you are very right, in both scenarios I would have to prove the marriage is genuine.

appreciate your input dear.