• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Oceania winners

For a mortgage application they take in to account 75% of the rental income and offset that against the liability of the monthly payments.

I have to declare that income in the country where it is earned AND in the US because they have a worldwide view on income (unlike most other countries).
ok cool thanks,

what about like hecs? do we have to pay that off before we move over?

ok cool thanks,

what about like hecs? do we have to pay that off before we move over?
If you have a HECS debt, you should stay tuned to what the Abbot government is doing. Currently, you are required to pay your HECS through compulsory contributions based on how much you are earning (if you are working), if your earnings are over a certain threshold. This is taken out of your salary like tax. The Australian Government does not currently have the power to do this in relation to foreign income (although the government is looking into some sort of reciprocity thing in New Zealand I think). So if you aren't earning any Australian income, then no you will not have to pay HECS. But you should be aware it is indexed annually and will therefore continue to increase in amount, regardless of whether you are paying it off or not. The ATO website has a lot more information about this and I would suggest you have a look there.

Now depending on what the Abbott government do, this could change as they are talking about charging interest on HECS debts which may or may not be imposed retrospectively on current debts. This means that while you're not earning income in Australia, you still won't be required to pay off your HECS debt, but your debt won't just be indexed, it'll incur interest and you'll want to be more actively paying it off, because you'll end up with a massive debt otherwise. For this reason, I suggest you pay a bit of attention to local politics. It surprises me how much people don't pay attention to the things that affect them...

Assuming you are doing AOS, once your CN is current per the visa bulletin you need to submit the I-485 etc to the Chicago dropbox as well as pay the DV fee to the St Louis dropbox
ok thanks lot! now that i have read info about AOS AND CP, i need to decided which path to take...any suggestions?

You need to get on the 2015 AoS thread. The process is different to CP, and you need to make sure you do it right. You can also file earlier than your number being current - all becomes clear once you read through Moms instructions....
thanks for directing me to that forum!very helpful..although i still need to decided which path to take....any suggestions?

thanks for directing me to that forum!very helpful..although i still need to decided which path to take....any suggestions?

It mostly depends on your case number. AoS has a number of advantages over CP (there is a comparison in Moms spreadsheet). However, it is a little more stressful than CP, especially if you start late in the year. Some people have got their cases through within their current month, I processed mine in San Francisco and they delayed me from my June current date to September 2. However, given the choice again I would do AoS again, because it saved me a 2 to 3 week trip back to the UK.

It mostly depends on your case number. AoS has a number of advantages over CP (there is a comparison in Moms spreadsheet). However, it is a little more stressful than CP, especially if you start late in the year. Some people have got their cases through within their current month, I processed mine in San Francisco and they delayed me from my June current date to September 2. However, given the choice again I would do AoS again, because it saved me a 2 to 3 week trip back to the UK.
thanks for the prompt response! yeah, i read that spreadsheet (very useful) and came to the conclusion that both have their advantages and disadvantages... I'm currently on a F1 VISA with OPT. my CN is 2015OC000005xx.....i mite be heading back to NZ IF I DUN find a job within 2 month...in that case, i HAVE TO GO WITH CP....but if i do stay here, looks like AOS is more ideal (based on the info i got from Moms spreadsheet) ...

thanks for the prompt response! yeah, i read that spreadsheet (very useful) and came to the conclusion that both have their advantages and disadvantages... I'm currently on a F1 VISA with OPT. my CN is 2015OC000005xx.....i mite be heading back to NZ IF I DUN find a job within 2 month...in that case, i HAVE TO GO WITH CP....but if i do stay here, looks like AOS is more ideal (based on the info i got from Moms spreadsheet) ...

Ok, so you have a good number, you will be able to file in a month - but yep, your job search is going to affect your decision on that. CP would be easy if you are going home anyway. Get some input from Mom regarding the F1/OPT.

If you have a HECS debt, you should stay tuned to what the Abbot government is doing. Currently, you are required to pay your HECS through compulsory contributions based on how much you are earning (if you are working), if your earnings are over a certain threshold. This is taken out of your salary like tax. The Australian Government does not currently have the power to do this in relation to foreign income (although the government is looking into some sort of reciprocity thing in New Zealand I think). So if you aren't earning any Australian income, then no you will not have to pay HECS. But you should be aware it is indexed annually and will therefore continue to increase in amount, regardless of whether you are paying it off or not. The ATO website has a lot more information about this and I would suggest you have a look there.

Now depending on what the Abbott government do, this could change as they are talking about charging interest on HECS debts which may or may not be imposed retrospectively on current debts. This means that while you're not earning income in Australia, you still won't be required to pay off your HECS debt, but your debt won't just be indexed, it'll incur interest and you'll want to be more actively paying it off, because you'll end up with a massive debt otherwise. For this reason, I suggest you pay a bit of attention to local politics. It surprises me how much people don't pay attention to the things that affect them...

yeah been paying off my hecs for a while.. they say its indexation but realistically its close to interest anyways.. guess depends on how much the interest will be they set it at.

but i guess if i dont earn australian income they cant make me pay it? or will i have to if i have a job in the US?

yeah been paying off my hecs for a while.. they say its indexation but realistically its close to interest anyways.. guess depends on how much the interest will be they set it at.

but i guess if i dont earn australian income they cant make me pay it? or will i have to if i have a job in the US?

Yeah just leave your debts for the Australian tax payer to pay off........ NOT!
If you leave here with debts they will catch up with you sooner or later. If you never intend on returning to OZ then you may get away with it but hopefully you have some kind of conscience.

Last edited:
If you leave here with debts they will catch up with you sooner or later. If you never intend on returning to OZ than you may get away with it but hopefully you have some kind of conscience.
hahah no i wasnt going to do that but i wanted to know if the payment of hecs would be required when i move over so i get funds ready or if it will be like how it is now where we pay every paycheck.

If you leave here with debts they will catch up with you sooner or later. If you never intend on returning to OZ than you may get away with it but hopefully you have some kind of conscience.

Loving the new signature EMS. 14 years eh? Certainly been a long time coming

Whilst I want ALL of the Class of OC15 to graduate to LPR status, I'm going to WHOOP so loud when OC_EMS gets it that the neighbourhood dogs will howl and the housewives will say 'I want what she's having'.

Loving the new signature EMS. 14 years eh? Certainly been a long time coming

Oh Lordy......... a long time yes!
Only dif between back then and now is a few more wrinkles and a couple of grey hairs.
Not to mention the pace maker, new hip and the walking frame. Ha Ha, just kidding. Still run rings around the young'ns at work

Whilst I want ALL of the Class of OC15 to graduate to LPR status, I'm going to WHOOP so loud when OC_EMS gets it that the neighbourhood dogs will howl and the housewives will say 'I want what she's having'.

LOL..........
Awwwwwwwww Emily thank you!
I think y'all will hear me yelling from Sydney.
Phalanges and metacarpals crossed.

Last edited:
Oh Lordy......... a long time yes!
Only dif between back then and now is a few more wrinkles and a couple of grey hairs.
Not to mention the pace maker, new hip and the walking frame. Ha Ha, just kidding. Still run rings around the young'ns at work
14 years ....wow. Puts the time I have to wait into perspective...I'll definitely raise a glass in your honour when you get LPR!!

14 years ....wow. Puts the time I have to wait into perspective...I'll definitely raise a glass in your honour when you get LPR!!

Thanks CBDK. I think its actually more like 16 years but I think my memory is failing after all this time.

The only thing that has gotten me through the down times of not being selected in the past is:
a) Remembering all things happen for a reason. (If its meant to be its meant to be) and;
b) Rejoicing for those who have made it through

Good luck to you.

Thanks CBDK. I think its actually more like 16 years but I think my memory is failing after all this time.

The only thing that has gotten me through the down times of not being selected in the past is:
a) Remembering all things happen for a reason. (If its meant to be its meant to be) and;
b) Rejoicing for those who have made it through

Good luck to you.

OC has by far the best winning chances among all the regions (about 1 in 20) so good thing you finally won - about bloody time!!!!

I agree wholeheartedly. No one deserves it more. That's what you call dedicated persistence. I hope you got it too Ems.

I agree wholeheartedly. No one deserves it more. That's what you call dedicated persistence. I hope you got it too Ems.

Thanks Deb!

I really do appreciate everyone's support and well wishes.
It lifts my spirits to a new level.
Id be fibbing if I didnt say Im a little nervous, but Im now chomping at the bit to get this done and dusted.
Sydney interview.........bring it on! :)