• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Oceania winners

We can all sit around the campfire with a glass of milk and do the Tim Tam slam

Dont forget the marshmallows and smores........... and singing Kumbaya. Ok forget the Kumbaya.
Ill have to take some Marshmallows with me as the US ones are terrible.
Their chocolate sucks too. If anyone needs a good chocolate fix in the US I highly recommend "Green & Blacks".

Dont forget the marshmallows and smores........... and singing Kumbaya. Ok forget the Kumbaya.
Ill have to take some Marshmallows with me as the US ones are terrible.
Their chocolate sucks too. If anyone needs a good chocolate fix in the US I highly recommend "Green & Blacks".

Ha ha. What? No Kumbaya? I'm shattered. Promises to be a very daggy event lol. Everything tastes different over there, and not generally in a good way. I usually lose weight when I'm there, so yay to that.

Hershey's works best for S'mores, because it's softer. Haven't heard of 'Green & Black's. I've been trying to find where I can import Graham Crackers as we've been using Cadbury dairy milk and Granita biscuits which don't work. Probably best to wait till we get there. Who is taking Vegemite with them? We definitely are.

Vegemite psh! Marmite all the way!
clear.png

I've been thinking about whether to take vegemite or not, and if I'll miss any quintessential "australian" food... but I don't think I will - I think I could live without vegemite as I don't have it that often, rarely eat Tim Tams, don't eat weetbix etc... I"m more so worried about getting healthy food in the US - I remember not being able to find bread that wasn't loaded with sugar there! And the whole GMO thing :/ A bread maker, Farmers Markets and Whole Foods it is for me I think!

Marmite, disgusting!! We took Vegemite on our 8 month trip around the USA but left it at our first stop, Hawaii!! We survived without it ok.

The bread was horrible, we ended up finding an Italian bread in the Supermarket which was okay. Their bread is loaded with sugar, we will be trying to find good bread at Farmer's Market's too or making our own if we can find decent flour.

The food is generally okay, mostly healthy options everywhere but the Supermarket foods take some getting used to. All part of the adventure I guess :)

Yeah I think it's grocery shopping that's going to be a big change for me - I'm already a label checker/conscious eater and it's going to be hard knowing standards are completely different over there for food, but yes, all part of the adventure!! It may just mean seeking out different grocery shops/markets etc :)

Very true. The options are there to eat well but the less healthy and easy-on-the-wallet foods are quite overwhelming. The amount of fast food restaurants around is quite ridiculous as well. I was in Texas for a few weeks and there's pretty much no escaping them.

Hershey's works best for S'mores, because it's softer. Haven't heard of 'Green & Black's. I've been trying to find where I can import Graham Crackers as we've been using Cadbury dairy milk and Granita biscuits which don't work. Probably best to wait till we get there. Who is taking Vegemite with them? We definitely are.

Hershey's smershey's blaahhhhhhhhhhh lol
You can get vegemite there but it is insanely expensive + $5.00 for a small jar, and dont even try to convert the Americans with that one. Suffice to say its an acquired taste. :)

Yeah I think it's grocery shopping that's going to be a big change for me - I'm already a label checker/conscious eater and it's going to be hard knowing standards are completely different over there for food, but yes, all part of the adventure!! It may just mean seeking out different grocery shops/markets etc :)

If you are on the west coast "Trader Joes" is awesome. At least with the food in the US EVERYTHING has to be labeled. Even the milk has ALL additives listed not like here and NZ.
Wholefoods is another place you can get good food, however it is nicknamed "whole pay check". Its still cheaper than what we pay here however with a drop in our wages it does get a little pricey. There are plenty of farmers markets which are fantastic.
DONT buy corn that isnt organic! Monsanto has a huge hold on GM crops and foods. Ass&%#es!
If you like cherry ripes and crunchies/violet crumble.............take them. They dont have them, no pineapple lumps either .

Last edited:
So it's the 15th in the US now.. should everyone who is current for NOV expect 2NL's today/can we check the DV Status site today and it should be updated? So eager! :p

Just an FYI for anyone trying to obtain a UK polce clearance check, it took about 3 weeks to process for myself and was a very simple process.

Patience Grasshopper, patience................... :)

I feel for anyone with higher CN's... we are a relatively low number and the waiting is already killing me :p I'm a big "planner"...so I just want to know dates so I can get this whole thing organised :p

I think they get sent out over a couple of days, based on what people posted last month so yes, hopefully they start coming in soon. I'll be sure to post as soon as mine arrives!

Availab
So it's the 15th in the US now.. should everyone who is current for NOV expect 2NL's today/can we check the DV Status site today and it should be updated? So eager! :p

There are a few people here that seem to think they were "promised 2NLs" by or on the 15th. That isn't accurate, so whilst they are probably close to releasing the 2NLs, it is not because of the date...

Your access to good healthy foods will vary by location. In the SF Bay area for instance there are plenty of options to eat healthier foods, but it will be a different experience in redneckville. You will be able to find some products from home also - I saw vegemite in a supermarket yesterday - you just have to be prepared to pay for it.

I absolutely love Wholefoods, their salad bar and deli are brilliant. I agree that access to 'healthy food' varies depending on where you are living, for example LA has a lot of vegetarian friendly places to eat but down South it's all about the barbecue. I think the hardest part is avoiding the higher proportion of unhealthy food as it's so easy to access and in much greater variety. Being a sweet-tooth, I nearly died when I saw the candy aisle in the supermarket the first time I went!

Your access to good healthy foods will vary by location. In the SF Bay area for instance there are plenty of options to eat healthier foods, but it will be a different experience in redneckville. You will be able to find some products from home also - I saw vegemite in a supermarket yesterday - you just have to be prepared to pay for it.

Oh goodie. What supermarket was the Vegemite in Simon, and how much was it?
We are thinking of bringing a box full in our container. :)