• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only - New Thread

@Britsimon and @Sm1smom ,

The weirdest thing happened to me today. I have received an I-512 advance parole card in the mail which is valid for a year. It says "Employment Authorization Card" on the top and "SERVES AS I-512 ADVANCE PAROLE" at the bottom.

As you already might know, my interview is on the 28th for the green card and I'm currently on H1-B visa.

I don't know what to do with this card lol. I should have checked with you before submitting the optional I-131 application. I know I'm stupid (so the IO who made me do it).

Should I just put aside and wait for the interview or should I pay a visit to the FO?

P.S. The photo is horrible too. I look like psycho killer. Too bad that'll be my green card photo as well.

As far as I know, all it does (AP) is allowing you to travel abroad while your AOS is pending, without jeopardizing your application. If you have family overseas, you never know…it might be handy in emergency situations!
One of the few questions IO was asking us during the interview, was when was our last entry and have we left USA since then !!!
Good luck with the rest of the process and your interview!

Last edited:

The weirdest thing happened to me today. I have received an I-512 advance parole card in the mail which is valid for a year. It says "Employment Authorization Card" on the top and "SERVES AS I-512 ADVANCE PAROLE" at the bottom.

As you already might know, my interview is on the 28th for the green card and I'm currently on H1-B visa.

I don't know what to do with this card lol. I should have checked with you before submitting the optional I-131 application. I know I'm stupid (so the IO who made me do it).

Should I just put aside and wait for the interview or should I pay a visit to the FO?

P.S. The photo is horrible too. I look like psycho killer. Too bad that'll be my green card photo as well.

I dont understand why you think that is wierd. YOu asked for the card (I131), you got it. The card itself is pointless in your situation, so just file it under "useless things" - no need to go to the FO about it. You could color it in with Green crayon if you want to pretend you are an LPR. :p

Nothing to worry about, you don't need that card for anything. Not unless your current employer decides to lay off and you find a new job right away, or you decide to leave your current employer in order to pick up a new job - with all happening before Aug 28th interview.

Just take it along to your interview, the IO is supposed to collect it once he/she is certain your case will be approved. But some fail to do so, even after approving the case on the spot I which case you get to keep it as a souvenir :)

As far as I know, all it does (AP) is allowing you to travel abroad while your AOS is pending, without jeopardizing your application. If you have family overseas, you never know…it might be handy in emergency situations!
One of the few questions IO was asking us during the interview, was when was our last entry and have we left USA since then !!!

Because he's on a H1B visa, a dual intent visa, he doesn't even need the AP card to travel while his AOS application is pending.

I dont understand why you think that is wierd. YOu asked for the card (I131), you got it. The card itself is pointless in your situation, so just file it under "useless things" - no need to go to the FO about it. You could color it in with Green crayon if you want to pretend you are an LPR. :p

Fantastic idea! I love it!!

Thanks for the response!

The reasons I think it is weird is:
1) I haven't seen anyone in this forum getting it.
2) I was under the impression that the officer in charge of the approval would throw the AP application away once they realize that I am already on H1B.

I like the green crayon idea :) I might do it as a last resort. While I was at it, I might edit my sinister stare, too :)
Thanks for the response!
Nothing to worry about, you don't need that card for anything. Not unless your current employer decides to lay off and you find a new job right away, or you decide to leave your current employer in order to pick up a new job - with all happening before Aug 28th interview.

Just take it along to your interview, the IO is supposed to collect it once he/she is certain your case will be approved. But some fail to do so, even after approving the case on the spot I which case you get to keep it as a souvenir :)

Thanks! Yes, another souvenir indeed. E.g. an elaborative dog tag after punching a hole in one corner :) so many creative possibilities! Thanks USCIS!

Because he's on a H1B visa, a dual intent visa, he doesn't even need the AP card to travel while his AOS application is pending.
I see...We were also H1B/H4 case, but I did not even think about travelling abroad while the case was pending. Did not want to have ANY potential obstacles! But very important and useful info for other applicants in this category, that you are allowed to travel abroad when "AOS " form pending" while on H1B/H4 status! Thanks, Mom!

Much more - nearly two months - but my FO is run by muppets. The two things are not necessarily connected (i.e. doing the bio doesn't then cause the interview to be scheduled). However you cannot complete the process until both are done.
Hi Simon
I talked to my lawyer and he told me that he contacted the director dv unit in the field office.Apart from my case he used a very crucial sentence.He said that at this point of the program once your security clears up with an expedite request if you are with all your fingerprints etc.. your visa has been already reserved for you so having already an interview date you are %100 safe. According this director we are also fine and they are well aware of us and they requested some paperwork from dept. state already once it comes they will schedule and interview.I don't think that he has an reason to lie since he is the head dv unit, I still have a hope that people who have bee interviewed until to the last week september will get the Green card if their case doesn't need anymore AP.
Good luck to everyone.

Hi Simon
I talked to my lawyer and he told me that he contacted the director dv unit in the field office.Apart from my case he used a very crucial sentence.He said that at this point of the program once your security clears up with an expedite request if you are with all your fingerprints etc.. your visa has been already reserved for you so having already an interview date you are %100 safe. According this director we are also fine and they are well aware of us and they requested some paperwork from dept. state already once it comes they will schedule and interview.I don't think that he has an reason to lie since he is the head dv unit, I still have a hope that people who have bee interviewed until to the last week september will get the Green card if their case doesn't need anymore AP.
Good luck to everyone.

I don't think it is a lie per se - more like he doesn't know the process. The process is described in the memo http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/...013/August/DV-Related I-485 Applications .pdf

Note that the last step is to check if the visa is available. If it had previously reserved, that would not be necessary.

I don't think it is a lie per se - more like he doesn't know the process. The process is described in the memo http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Laws/Memoranda/2013/August/DV-Related I-485 Applications .pdf

Note that the last step is to check if the visa is available. If it had previously reserved, that would not be necessary.

@Britsimon, I got the following excerpt from the document you provided a link to and I want you to take notice of the Bolded sentences and the Red font phrases. From my understanding of those and also what I was told at my Dallas FO during my numerous back and forth infopass appointments, I believe that once an applicant becomes current, a Visa number has already been provisioned for that applicant.

To ensure timely notification and encourage timely filing of applications for adjustment of status,
approximately 50 to 60 days in advance of actual DV visa availability, DOS, in consultation with
USCIS, publishes in its monthly Visa Bulletin a separate “advance notification” of DV rank cut-
off numbers. Such advance notification enables persons to file their Form I-485 applications
prior to the time a DV visa becomes “immediately available.” The listing of advance notification
of DV availability is meant to enable a person to file his or her adjustment application, even
though a visa is not yet available.
"

@Britsimon, I got the following excerpt from the document you provided a link to and I want you to take notice of the Bolded sentences and the Red font phrases. From my understanding of those and also what I was told at my Dallas FO during my numerous back and forth infopass appointments, I believe that once an applicant becomes current, a Visa number has already been provisioned for that applicant.

Those bolded statements refer to the cutoff numbers, not allocation.
"immediately available" = Rank cutoff number allows visa allocation in the current month.
"visa not yet available" = The rank cutoff number for a future month has been published in the Visa Bulletin so they can't allocate visa, but one can mail the application package.

As @Sm1smom and @Britsimon said in the past. There is no guarantee until your visa has been allocated through IVAMSWEB.

Those bolded statements refer to the cutoff numbers, not allocation.
"immediately available" = Rank cutoff number allows visa allocation in the current month.
"visa not yet available" = The rank cutoff number for a future month has been published in the Visa Bulletin so they can't allocate visa, but one can mail the application package.

As @Sm1smom and @Britsimon said in the past. There is no guarantee until your visa has been allocated through IVAMSWEB.

Hello everyone, I've been following this entire forum (particularly the AOS thread) since May 2013 but this is actually my first time writing something here...

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever reported any instance, whether CP or AOS, where the visa was exhausted prior to an already-scheduled interview?

On the DV process website below, it specifically says "You will only be scheduled for an interview when and if there is a visa number available for you." This also puts me under the same impression that once an interview has been scheduled, there is "a visa number" available for you and will remain available at least until the interview date. I know this website is specifically for CP, so I'm not sure if AOS is the same case. (I have switched from AOS to CP and that is why I pay attention to the instructions in this link.)

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/diversity-visa/interview.html

By no means am I trying to challenge anyone's different viewpoint here. I just wanted to throw something out and hope to get some further clarification and insights.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I've been following this entire forum (particularly the AOS thread) since May 2013 but this is actually my first time writing something here...

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever reported any instance, whether CP or AOS, where the visa was exhausted prior to an already-scheduled interview?

It happened in Bangladesh a few years ago when they hit their country quota and they had to cancel interviews. http://archive.thedailystar.net/newDesign/news-details.php?nid=2757

I think (this is just my speculation) that they cannot be exact about this. And they cannot literally have visas set aside for every single interview scheduled because a bunch will be no-shows and a bunch others will be refusals. So I think what they do is allocate the number of visas that they expect to issue for their interview schedule, but then if more people arrive or get granted than expected, they run out for the month. This is general supposition and not AOS specific.

I'm in the same boat as you and I don't think it's gonna be an issue.
My old OPT card only has my 1st middle initial and I've used it to re-enter the country a few times and never had a problem.
Your SSN card will have your full name on it, not just middle initial(s), just as it is written on your passport or other gov ID.

Thanks for you response. Sorry I've been out the last few days and couldn't get back to you sooner.
What do u mean you used your OPT Card to re-enter? I thought it was not a travel document. Do you mean GC?
Anyway, I've decided to keep the name on my GC as it is since it takes a long time to get a new one, and I'm planning to travel out of the country .

Also would you happen to know if I need to get a new SSN? My old one (the one I got when I was in F-1 status) says "Valid for work only with DHS authorization"

Thank again :)

Trust me, I would love to believe the quoted text means what you think it does, but it doesn't mean that. As Ralph points out the immediately available wording has different meaning - and is to do with normal DoS/USCIS terminology.

Interview report:
March 07, 2014 AOS received by FO USCIS,
BIO done in March 28,2014
May 8, 2014 Info pass asking what is up?
Next 4 days received Adv Parole, Emp Aut card
Couple of unclear Info pass each 2 weeks asking what is up, and response need to wait
Checked on June spam e-mail and found KCC e-mail asking to pay for full family for AOS, even they did not apply, responded that family not applying with me cz they not in USA and that is why I payed only for one person.
IL on July23,2014
Aug 10, 2014 called again to KCC to confirmed if my file was send to Detroit field office, answer was yes on June 10, 2014
Interview Aug 18, 2014
Was asked passport, other passports, driver license, empl aut card, original document: Birth certificate, pay roll, irs, w2.
Qs all of yes/no from I-485, with eye contact after each qs, answer need to be very clear with eye contact, asked for second name, cz in Birth certificate we have it, I said, I dont want second name, just first and Family name. Asked all date of birth of all children and wife, asked date of divorce, from previous marriage.
All qs that was qsnable at I-485 was clarified on interview, with all explanation, what was written by IO on the I-485 form during interview.
QS: Why ur family not applying with you, answ they may be apply later or on CP way, cz thay at Canada.
I-94 was taken from passport, saying you do need it any more, you can use Adv parole for driving abroad. Explanation for delay was given, without me asking this qs, sauing that AOS pay, was not lagibalem due to stamp not clear, was need to request full info about payment from different place, and request KCC file, which was not send imediatley due to KCC qs to me, afterr it was send to FO, it come in July, and they try to sq my interrview as fast as possible, they knew time issue related to DV visa, and they know that is time sencitive, But KCC and FO no friends, and have different bosses, and not well cooperating together, that FO told me. Visa was not provided at interview, due to system shut down. When last security check will be done, you will see change at case USCIS system, tomorrow. FO said at the end, that she does not have problem with my file, and approve my application, need to wait for GC for 2 weeks, and for letter of card production could be printed out and used if need meantime, usual time waiting 60 days, but it is not in case of DV lottery that is finished on Sept 30, that was explained by FO to me. So fully informed FO at Detroit. Long waiting time was explained to me, without even me asking. Overall good experience from interview, very clear and strait forward.
Good luck for everybody and thx for this forum, let you know how it will does with GC.

On the DV process website below, it specifically says "You will only be scheduled for an interview when and if there is a visa number available for you." This also puts me under the same impression that once an interview has been scheduled, there is "a visa number" available for you and will remain available at least until the interview date. I know this website is specifically for CP, so I'm not sure if AOS is the same case. (I have switched from AOS to CP and that is why I pay attention to the instructions in this link.)

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/diversity-visa/interview.html

By no means am I trying to challenge anyone's different viewpoint here. I just wanted to throw something out and hope to get some further clarification and insights.

Yup as Susie says it has happened before. The common understanding is that CP cases are pre-allocated visas when the appointments are scheduled - at least roughly, because it wouldn't make sense to do all the scheduling when people were goingh to be wasting their time and money. However, even with that there are already reports of some people (who haven't rescheduled or been on AP) being told their interview is successful but they have to wait to see if a visa becomes available for them.

So in AoS that seems different - and we have the policy memo evidence which supports the previously known common understanding - being different to CP.

Now, I do think there is a little "flexibility" in the overall visa numbers and considering the cost of AoS in fees I would hope that they would squeeze in a few more AoS cases that are going to be happening in late September. Let's hope so!

Now, I do think there is a little "flexibility" in the overall visa numbers and considering the cost of AoS in fees I would hope that they would squeeze in a few more AoS cases that are going to be happening in late September. Let's hope so!
I would be so pissed if I wouldn't get a visa after spending $1500+ for all the fees and medical exams. I have considered moving back to my home country or EU because of the silliy immigration laws in the US and the incompetent troll officers in charge. That would be the last drop that spills the cup.

I apologize for my contempt, but this is a torture that started the day I stepped in this beautiful soil. Most of us live everyday in fear of getting deported thereby losing everything we have built so far. Having a Green Card alleviates this problem but man... Damn hard to get it even after you earn the right to get it!

Interview report:
March 07, 2014 AOS received by FO USCIS,
BIO done in March 28,2014
May 8, 2014 Info pass asking what is up?
Next 4 days received Adv Parole, Emp Aut card
Couple of unclear Info pass each 2 weeks asking what is up, and response need to wait
Checked on June spam e-mail and found KCC e-mail asking to pay for full family for AOS, even they did not apply, responded that family not applying with me cz they not in USA and that is why I payed only for one person.
IL on July23,2014
Aug 10, 2014 called again to KCC to confirmed if my file was send to Detroit field office, answer was yes on June 10, 2014
Interview Aug 18, 2014
Was asked passport, other passports, driver license, empl aut card, original document: Birth certificate, pay roll, irs, w2.
Qs all of yes/no from I-485, with eye contact after each qs, answer need to be very clear with eye contact, asked for second name, cz in Birth certificate we have it, I said, I dont want second name, just first and Family name. Asked all date of birth of all children and wife, asked date of divorce, from previous marriage.
All qs that was qsnable at I-485 was clarified on interview, with all explanation, what was written by IO on the I-485 form during interview.
QS: Why ur family not applying with you, answ they may be apply later or on CP way, cz thay at Canada.
I-94 was taken from passport, saying you do need it any more, you can use Adv parole for driving abroad. Explanation for delay was given, without me asking this qs, sauing that AOS pay, was not lagibalem due to stamp not clear, was need to request full info about payment from different place, and request KCC file, which was not send imediatley due to KCC qs to me, afterr it was send to FO, it come in July, and they try to sq my interrview as fast as possible, they knew time issue related to DV visa, and they know that is time sencitive, But KCC and FO no friends, and have different bosses, and not well cooperating together, that FO told me. Visa was not provided at interview, due to system shut down. When last security check will be done, you will see change at case USCIS system, tomorrow. FO said at the end, that she does not have problem with my file, and approve my application, need to wait for GC for 2 weeks, and for letter of card production could be printed out and used if need meantime, usual time waiting 60 days, but it is not in case of DV lottery that is finished on Sept 30, that was explained by FO to me. So fully informed FO at Detroit. Long waiting time was explained to me, without even me asking. Overall good experience from interview, very clear and strait forward.
Good luck for everybody and thx for this forum, let you know how it will does with GC.

Congratulations ovenpeck! Enjoy your new status.