• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2014 DV Australian winners

Hey does anyone know who actually decides what the VB cut off numbers are going to be? I just wonder whether there is some miscalculation going on. To progress at 75 CNs a month (and slower than prior years) when 4100 were selected for further processing is so puzzling it makes me wonder whether there is an error being made somewhere. It would be nice, rather than speculating and stressing out, to actually have a confirmation about whether the CNs are going to escalate or stay at 75 with a free for all come September...Ideas anyone??

No one can have any REAL idea - it is all a guessing game. However, here are some points that might help. I think it was Kayend ywho pointed out that the Oct/Nov/Dec period tends not to get a full 25% of the case number traffic - he quoted more like 10 to 15%. Jan/Feb/Mar are usually faster. Also when they announce the November bulletin (with the December prediction) they have NO idea what has happened in the first interviews. So - they are guessing how many people are turning up for interviews, passing the criteria and so on. So - the next VB will have that additional info - so can be more accurate.

No one can have any REAL idea - it is all a guessing game. However, here are some points that might help. I think it was Kayend ywho pointed out that the Oct/Nov/Dec period tends not to get a full 25% of the case number traffic - he quoted more like 10 to 15%. Jan/Feb/Mar are usually faster. Also when they announce the November bulletin (with the December prediction) they have NO idea what has happened in the first interviews. So - they are guessing how many people are turning up for interviews, passing the criteria and so on. So - the next VB will have that additional info - so can be more accurate.

Good point. I guess we can wait for the next few VBs to come out and then decide whether we should be making some calls to the powers that be to try and speed things up a bit...

Good luck with that call to the powers that be asking them to speed things up.

Good point. I guess we can wait for the next few VBs to come out and then decide whether we should be making some calls to the powers that be to try and speed things up a bit...

Just an update:
After having my interview on Tuesday, I received all my documents back in the mail on Friday. I just paid the USCIS online fee, and once that's been processed, I think that's about it.

Just an update:
After having my interview on Tuesday, I received all my documents back in the mail on Friday. I just paid the USCIS online fee, and once that's been processed, I think that's about it.

Congrats CamelSlayer, I got mine yesterday as well!! I'll probably pay the fee tomorrow though

You guys have filled me with encouragement haha. Thank God there's a couple of October interviewees who are members here to give us the skinny. I'd hate to be flying blind into this thing next month!

DS confirmation

Hi Everyone,

I have a case number in the mid-700s so I am expecting an interview around March (and I'm assuming to hear about this around 2 months before - does that sound right?) But is it weird that I haven't had confirmation that my DS forms have been received? I sent them off in May

Thanks!

When it turns current it means that they have enough visas left over for the amount of interviewees left to be interviewed.

Thank you! :)

I hear u emma, its a crazy world when a randomly assigned number can have such a big impact on life decisions. I'm in a similar position myself. I'm working on an expect nothing basis and if it comes up it was meant to be. Good luck with it

That's a good way to look at it:) thank you, you too!

This is the best way to look at it. While I hate to be the one to burst bubbles Emma, it's a lottery and you won a ticket in it, not the prize unfortunately. All you can really do is enter the 2015 lottery as well, keep an eye on the cutoffs and your inbox for a 2NL and keep living the life you lead now. It'll be easier to reevaluate your plans WITH an unexpected green card than it would be to make all your plans around something that doesn't end up happening.

Oh absolutely, I agree. I'm not saying it's unfair, just a bit frustrating, that's all! But I understand the process and know I'm not 'owed' an interview or anything like that :) I've been planning everything as if I'm staying in Australia, it's definitely the best approach to take. I am really interested to know what's going on with the Oceania region though- I think I will call and ask, though I'm sure it's just one of those things that no one can really explain!

Thank you! :)

I am really interested to know what's going on with the Oceania region though- I think I will call and ask, though I'm sure it's just one of those things that no one can really explain!

Emma, if you, or anyone else, do end up calling KCC or the Sydney Consulate to ask how many of the 4215 Oceania selectees are likely to get interviews, it'd be great if you could post on this forum what they tell you. My case number is in the low 2000s, so I'm keen to know how high they'll go, and when.

Emma, if you, or anyone else, do end up calling KCC or the Sydney Consulate to ask how many of the 4215 Oceania selectees are likely to get interviews, it'd be great if you could post on this forum what they tell you. My case number is in the low 2000s, so I'm keen to know how high they'll go, and when.

The Sydney consulate probably have less idea about that than we do - and if they did know more - they wouldn't say....

The Sydney consulate probably have less idea about that than we do - and if they did know more - they wouldn't say....

That would be my assumption too - the interviewing officers and other consulate staff are just doing the work in the trenches processing applications. I doubt they're privy to the inner decision-making processes or why more numbers were allocated etc.

Not to mention that you can't actually call the consulate in Sydney regarding immigrant visas. You can email them and in a week or two you'd probably receive a generic email telling you to wait.

With regard to high case numbers, I think there may be more hope than a lot of people realise. From my understanding, in past years they haven't always filled the 50,000 (sometimes 55,000) quota for green cards. Don't forget that there is a lot of fraud involved in the lottery, not to mention people faililng to fulfil the eligibility requirements or just not following through on their applications. In fact I believe some countries have upwards of 85% of their cases rejected due to these factors. Hence why this year they've increased the initial intake this year from 100,000 to 125,000.

Not to mention that you can't actually call the consulate in Sydney regarding immigrant visas. You can email them and in a week or two you'd probably receive a generic email telling you to wait.

With regard to high case numbers, I think there may be more hope than a lot of people realise. From my understanding, in past years they haven't always filled the 50,000 (sometimes 55,000) quota for green cards. Don't forget that there is a lot of fraud involved in the lottery, not to mention people faililng to fulfil the eligibility requirements or just not following through on their applications. In fact I believe some countries have upwards of 85% of their cases rejected due to these factors. Hence why this year they've increased the initial intake this year from 100,000 to 125,000.

this is great to know. then again, i would think of the failure to fulfil eligibility requirements, etc, oceania would be one of the 'cleaner' regions. i wonder if failure of other regions to meet their quota, would give us a bigger piece of the pie.. maybe not. i could speculate all day on this one :D

i wonder if failure of other regions to meet their quota, would give us a bigger piece of the pie.. maybe not. i could speculate all day on this one :D

I'm almost positive that regardless of failure or whatever, each region is only eligible for a certain number of visas. If that wasn't the case, the numbers from a particular region could soar one year and defeat the purpose of "diversity" in immigration.

Re: Selected for further processing but be born in illeligible country

Hi brothers and sisters,

I have a question to ask your favor to answer, it is if a person was born in an ineligible country selected for further processing for visa because he/she came to eligible country from refugee camp when he/she was a child. He completed high school diploma and working in the eligible country, then does he /she still get rejected to do paper to move to America?

Can he/she claim that he has belonged to the eligible country ?

Thank you for input,
hro

Hi brothers and sisters,

I have a question to ask your favor to answer, it is if a person was born in an ineligible country selected for further processing for visa because he/she came to eligible country from refugee camp when he/she was a child. He completed high school diploma and working in the eligible country, then does he /she still get rejected to do paper to move to America?

Can he/she claim that he has belonged to the eligible country ?

Thank you for input,
hro

Not unless the person is married to someone from the eligible country where he/she is now based and eligibility could be claimed via the spouse. In the scenario you've painted, the person cannot claim eligibility based on his/her current country of residence (even if he/she is a citizen of this new country of residency). This person though currently selected for further processing is most likely going to be disqualified at the time of the interview.