zero tolerance still?

petieweets

I am employed by Company A. I was rehired by Company A after a layoff. The lay-off period was 6 weeks, and I was kept on the payroll - no revokation was sent to INS. After all the drama and instability at Company A, I decided to accept an offer to interview at Company B, which came about as a result of job searching all November and after I was rehired at Company A.

I received a verbal offer by Company B subject to a background check, which takes 3 business days.

I will get a written offer by Company B Thursday 26 Dec or Friday 27 Dec. Company A overheard a phone conversation and got wind of the verbal offer. Company A is putting pressure on me to resign by Tuesday Dec 24. I was told by Company B's legal counsel not to resign until I receive written offer.

Can I resign as soon as I get the offer, and get the hell out of a very stressful situation, or do I have to wait until the transfer paperwork is sent, or do I have to wait until is is received? How long between lodgment and receipt? I have a pay stub from company A dated Dec 15 2002. Is one enough? (I am "missing" two months worth, and the previous is Oct 15 from Company A). Company A threatened to find and ring Company B and tell them not to hire me, which is illegal but the malice is scary. How can I best not stuff this up? What about "zero tolerance" re out-of-status... I have gotten lots of conflicting stories about this...

Last edited by a moderator: