"Your case is in process pending name check...."

chicagoboy3

Registered Users (C)
Yes, I heard those dreaded words today from an IO on the USCIS help line. I so did not want to hear these words. Evidently my file is at the service center waiting for name check to be completed before it can be transferred to the DO. I have done my research, I know I can start writing letters to senator(s), white house etc. Can anyone tell me if it is too early for me to start getting paranoid and embark on a letter writing campaign or should I wait till my dates pass the processing times?

My timeline:
N400 Fedexed: 2/21/07
Priority Date: 2/23/07
Checks Cashed: 3/02/07
FP Letter Received: 3/08/07
FP Attended: 3/21/07
IL Received: Not yet
IL Scheduled: Not yet
Oath Letter: Not yet
Oath Date: Not yet

Don't waste your time.

No one can/will help you. You need to let your application sit for quite a while before you get any sympathy. If you are going to make use of congressmen/senators/first ladies, you want to make sure that you have waited long enough that they will care. Some people have been stuck in NC for years.

Some people only spend 2-6 months in name check - you might get lucky. Sit back, relax, and get used to waiting.

I agree with Flydog. There is no point in being in the state of anxiety. There is literally nothing you can do about it. But the good thing is that a large percentage of those stuck in name check do get cleared in reasonable amount of time.

Yes, I heard those dreaded words today from an IO on the USCIS help line. I so did not want to hear these words. Evidently my file is at the service center waiting for name check to be completed before it can be transferred to the DO. I have done my research, I know I can start writing letters to senator(s), white house etc. Can anyone tell me if it is too early for me to start getting paranoid and embark on a letter writing campaign or should I wait till my dates pass the processing times?

I heard from IO at the help line saying that they can only see when the FBI name check has been requested, but they can not see if its been completed or not. Is it true. Did you get your status of the name check from IO at help line or from the infopass. Do you know if any one else in this forum got that kind of info from the IO at the help line. Also, if you dont mind, when you talked to to IO at helpline, did they say that your case is pending FBI name check or did they say its waiting in Queue for interview. Thanks in advance for your answers.

Last edited by a moderator:
chicagoboy3:

Make InfoPass and talk to an IO. Kind of strange that you managed to receive your name check status by calling help line.

Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement. Its especially hard since my wife's immigration cannot move forward until I get this done. Meanwhile, we wait in different countries just waiting for USCIS to complete its work. There doesn't seem to be any justice in that. Whatever happened to family values? Those who do not know what I am talking about you can find out more on www.unitefamilies.org.

To answer some questions asked above - by some stroke of luck or call it misfortune, my case never appeared on the USCIS online case status website. As a result everytime I call the help line the service rep cannot even find my record and has to transfer my call to an IO who then pulls it up on another system which I guess the reps do not have access to. I was told my case is pending name check - not waiting in some queue.

Do nothing now. Letters to F.Lady and Senator will have same result as InfoPass. I got latter from FBI Name Check department that my check is pending. I gave up. This is worthless effort. I'm on hold for 18 month and now feel much better then first month after interview where I was totally pissed.
After 24+ month passed you can consider lawsuit if you want it so bad.
Chance to win before that is very fishy. All success stories are in a passed since in most cases success was due to practice of USCIS to expedite check because of lawsuit. It's not a case anymore. When you file you should prepare to fight. I hope Ombudsman report from 2007 will move problem forward from current status Que.