You do not necessarily need a lawyer to prepare your asylum interview

2023sf

Lawyers are required to remain silent during the interview. They are only permitted to give a closing statement at the end of the interview. You can prepare the case all by yourself and find someone who has already gone through the interview recently and ask the person(s) the basic questions and probable questions you will be asked during the interview.

You need a lawyer only when you are referred to the immigration court, or you need to appeal a decision by an IJ.

Last edited:
Lawyers are required to remain silent during the interview. They are only permitted to give a closing statement at the end of the interview. You can prepare the case all by yourself and find someone who has already gone through the interview recently and ask the person(s) the basic questions and probable questions you will be asked during the interview.

You need a lawyer only when you are referred to the immigration court, or you need to appeal a decision by an IJ.

I agree to that

I would like to respectfully disagree.

Most of us ended up in court because of the attitude that "you don't need a lawyer for the affirmative asylum process/interview." This is categorically false. We ended up in court because we failed to present the case for the asylum officer to understand. The brief/basis of the claim? The evidence? Criminal record? The complete file? You can't put this together unless you get advice. The lawyer is not there to tell the story, he/she is there to help format the case so that the asylum officer understands the case.

My advice? Get help from a lawyer from day one of your case.

When I applied for asylum, I had lived in the US for five years. Had completed college. I failed to present the case in the manner/format the asylum officer expected. My case was referred to court. Instead of my case concluding in 2 months back then, it ended up taking 23 months. The extra months of waiting...my punishment for not using a lawyer from day one.

Do not be like me. File a proper case from day one with the help of a lawyer.

Good luck.

Most of us ended up in court because of the attitude that "you don't need a lawyer for the affirmative asylum process/interview." This is categorically false. We ended up in court because we failed to present the case for the asylum officer to understand. The brief/basis of the claim? The evidence? Criminal record? The complete file? You can't put this together unless you get advice. The lawyer is not there to tell the story, he/she is there to help format the case so that the asylum officer understands the case.

When I applied for asylum, I had lived in the US for five years. Had completed college. I failed to present the case in the manner/format the asylum officer expected. My case was referred to court. Instead of my case concluding in 2 months back then, it ended up taking 23 months. The extra months of waiting...my punishment for not using a lawyer from day one.

Good luck.

I thought she mentioned lawyers "not" required during interview

For example in my case, I have a lawyer who has prepared the case and did filing for me, but they will charge extra if they have to be with me during interview
That's where lawyers can't do anything but remain silent

So yes , all new applicants must file case through a lawyer

In my case I need a lawyer for assistance. I would rather to pay to make sure I am in the right path or direction throughout my whole asylum journey.

In my case I need a lawyer for assistance. I would rather to pay to make sure I am in the right path or direction throughout my whole asylum journey.

We should and thats the professional way

But a lot of asylees are in diffcult financial squeeze , every single cent matters to them. Not having a lawyer is wrong but if one cannot afford , there isn't a way left specially when you can't find a pro-bono

We gotta think from their side and see what best possible way can be brought (if not the ideal and perfect way)

Good luck.

I totally disagree with you. Most of us ended up in court because of tough asylum officers or irresponsible lawyers/representatives. If the asylum officer wants to refer you, he or she can refer you without any reasons. Or it depends on the mood of the officer at that day. The asylum interview does not require any evidence and it is all about asking and answering.

When it comes to the immigration court, the IJ can order removal even though you do nothing wrong. Even you win the appeals, the IJ can also order removal. The immigration court also does not require evidence, it is also like the asylum interview. If the IJ wants to grant asylum, you can win the asylum without any evidence.

You got asylum from the IJ means that the IJ wanted to grant you asylum. It was the IJ who made the decision. You lawyer is nothing. Even you do not have a lawyer, if the IJ wanted to grant you, you can get asylum.

Additionally, you were granted asylum does not mean you know the whole picture.

You had a lawyer in the removal proceedings and you won ≠ you did not have a lawyer at the beginning and that was why you were referred and because of the help of a lawyer you won, which sounds logically right to you and to other people, but it is a wrongful logical procedure and conclusion.

Last edited:

Hope your lawyer is not a big liar. Lawyers just want money. 90%(or above) Lawyers mislead you to make more money. If you get asylum affirmatively you lawyer may lose a lot of money. If you were referred to the immigration court and probably need to appeal to the BIA or even to the circuit court, you lawyer will make tons of money.

I thought she mentioned lawyers "not" required during interview

For example in my case, I have a lawyer who has prepared the case and did filing for me, but they will charge extra if they have to be with me during interview
That's where lawyers can't do anything but remain silent

So yes , all new applicants must file case through a lawyer

No! Filing cases through lawyers is not a must.

We should and thats the professional way

But a lot of asylees are in diffcult financial squeeze , every single cent matters to them. Not having a lawyer is wrong but if one cannot afford , there isn't a way left specially when you can't find a pro-bono

We gotta think from their side and see what best possible way can be brought (if not the ideal and perfect way)

Not having a lawyer is not wrong for the asylum interview. You just find someone who has extensive experience on the asylum interview and ask him/her how to prepare you case and how to prepare for your interview. The cost will not more than $1,500.

The persons who have that much experience are interpreters. Experienced interpreters have attended hundreds of interviews and because of this, they are able to handle both asylum cases and interviews.

But those interpreters are either Spanish speakers or Chinese speakers... because Latino and Chinese are the two biggest populations of applying for asylum.

Last edited:
I wrote the above advice based on my first-hand experience, battling US asylum issues since 2007. I have been battling US immigration since that time, coming to 14 years this year. I probably know what I am talking about.

However, it's up to you applicants to decide what you want to do, and I am 100% behind whatever choice you make:

a) You don't want to use a lawyer to help you? Great!
b) You want to use a lawyer to help you? Also great!

Cost: Most of the big firms handle immigration cases on a pro-bono basis. So they agree to represent you for free. They already make $100/hr representing corporate clients, so they are happy to represent you for free.

I wrote the above advice based on my first-hand experience, battling US asylum issues since 2007. I have been battling US immigration since that time, coming to 14 years this year. I probably know what I am talking about.

However, it's up to you applicants to decide what you want to do, and I am 100% behind whatever choice you make:

a) You don't want to use a lawyer to help you? Great!
b) You want to use a lawyer to help you? Also great!

Cost: Most of the big firms handle immigration cases on a pro-bono basis. So they agree to represent you for free. They already make $100/hr representing corporate clients, so they are happy to represent you for free.

Chinese people know the asylum system very well. On Chinese websites and social medias, there are tons of "first-hand experiences" and I am sure that your advice is misleading.

May I ask if you all work with lawyers? I have a paralegal who filed plenty of cases before and was recommended to me. And he offers a lawyer in case I want him to be present for the interview and then he'll work with my case if I fail. Is it bad?

May I ask if you all work with lawyers? I have a paralegal who filed plenty of cases before and was recommended to me. And he offers a lawyer in case I want him to be present for the interview and then he'll work with my case if I fail. Is it bad?

Having a lawyer to be present at the interview is much better than no lawyer.

If you fail can let lawyer make more money, the lawyer are glad to see you fail.

Chinese people know the asylum system very well. On Chinese websites and social medias, there are tons of "first-hand experiences" and I am sure that your advice is misleading.
@2023sf what is the motivation for me to mislead people? Posted advice 400+ posts over the years. I don't understand why I would post 400 posts here on the forum misleading people.

I have worked both with and without lawyers during my journey. My suggestion is that if you can afford one or are able to get one pro Bono it always helps. Else be prepared to study the law, case precedents and argue your case. You should be able to write a good legal brief covering your case. If all you can do is somehow go and talk a few things about your case and tell them “please grant me asylum” you definitely need a lawyer. This is a legal process. I lost 2.5-3 years in my case because I wasn’t able to get granted in the first interview. I made a few mistake initially that cost me a a lot of time.These days the case processing times are longer and immigration judge calendars are even more crowded than 10 years ago. We all have a limited amount of time in this life, that’s why they say time is money. Finally its your case and your life so each person can decide their own priority.

So you're basically validating "Chinese websites and social medias...first hand experiences" while at the same time disavowing 7o9's first hand experience on this website? LOL.

I have been navigating the immigration system in the US for about 20 years and will also echo the sentiments and the advice from 7o9. If you can afford it, GET A LAWYER. Find a pro bono to represent you if you can. Just because you don't "need" something doesn't mean you shouldn't have it if you can. Especially when it comes to the ever changing and complex immigration system, yes, the internet will have tons of information, but it doesn't compare to an expert helping you navigate every step of the way. Knowing the system is one thing - preparing you for its nuances is something completely different.

When I was doing mock interviews with my attorney to prepare for my asylum interview, he helped me word certain things in such a way that they couldn't be construed or used against me. They can help you avoid mistakes you wouldn't otherwise even think of.

I have worked both with and without lawyers during my journey. My suggestion is that if you can afford one or are able to get one pro Bono it always helps. Else be prepared to study the law, case precedents and argue your case. You should be able to write a good legal brief covering your case. If all you can do is somehow go and talk a few things about your case and tell them “please grant me asylum” you definitely need a lawyer. This is a legal process. I lost 2.5-3 years in my case because I wasn’t able to get granted in the first interview. I made a few mistake initially that cost me a a lot of time.These days the case processing times are longer and immigration judge calendars are even more crowded than 10 years ago. We all have a limited amount of time in this life, that’s why they say time is money. Finally its your case and your life so each person can decide their own priority.
Well said... So Practical

Paralegal... Little knowledge is a dangerous thing :)

So you're basically validating "Chinese websites and social medias...first hand experiences" while at the same time disavowing 7o9's first hand experience on this website? LOL.

I have been navigating the immigration system in the US for about 20 years and will also echo the sentiments and the advice from 7o9. If you can afford it, GET A LAWYER. Find a pro bono to represent you if you can. Just because you don't "need" something doesn't mean you shouldn't have it if you can. Especially when it comes to the ever changing and complex immigration system, yes, the internet will have tons of information, but it doesn't compare to an expert helping you navigate every step of the way. Knowing the system is one thing - preparing you for its nuances is something completely different.

When I was doing mock interviews with my attorney to prepare for my asylum interview, he helped me word certain things in such a way that they couldn't be construed or used against me. They can help you avoid mistakes you wouldn't otherwise even think of.

Mock interviews can be done with the help of an immigration consultant, or an interpreter, or your friend. A lawyer is not a must.

xxxxxxxxxxx people usually do not hire lawyers. Lawyers can't help you prepare cases, can't help you gather evidence, can't coach you for your interview. They do not want to take the risk of disbarment.

You can google "xxxxxxxxxx fraud"

Last edited by a moderator: