Yippee! My daugher got her N-600 letter today - exactly 1 year after we applied!

Flydog

Registered Users (C)
Dallas office.

My daughter got her N-600 interview/ceremony (I'm not quite sure) letter today. We applied on either the 21st or the 22nd of June last year, so it has taken them *exactly* one year for this application (door to door) so far. Good things come to those who wait, I guess.

The letter is not an NOA. It is printed on local USCIS District Office stationary. It has her A#, her name and her address at the top (and was addressed to her - she was 17 when we applied but is now (not surprisingly, since it is a year later) 18).

It says:

Dallas USCIS N-600 letter said:
You are scheduled to appear at the time and place indicated below for your Citizenship Ceremony.

(lists a time, date (mid-July), and the address of the local DO)

You must bring this notice and the documents requested below:

• US Citizen parent must appear at the interview with you
  • Bring your PASSPORT WITH VISA AND RESIDENT CARD
  • Bring two color passport photos with white background; photos must be glossy, un-retouched, and not mounted; dimensions of facial image should be about 1" for chin to top of hair; subject should be shown in full frontal;
Children on whose behalf this application was filed should also appear at the interview. It is important that you keep this appointment. If you are unable to do so, state your reason below and return this letter to this office at once.

The actual letter is much uglier than this posting, the font size keeps changing.

Some comments and questions...

• Don't you find it odd (and somewhat ironic) that an organization that tests us for our English skills can send out a letter like that. I believe that I have transcribed it accurately (including all of the vestigial semi-colons and the phrase "about 1" for chin to top of hair").
  • So, do you think this is an "interview" or a "ceremony" or some combination of the two, or two separate things?
  • The first two of those items (the parent and the "passport with visa and resident card") are preceded by bold capital Xes. The third item (the photos) isn't. I'm kind of assuming that they mean "bring the first two, but not the third". However, I'm going to bring all three (as well as the originals of all the documents whose copies were included in the application). Does that seem to make sense?
  • Since we applied several things have happened. In particular, I have been naturalized (the original application was based on my wife's naturalization last June - mine was held up till November). The other major change is that my daughter is now 18 and no longer a minor. As a result the wording of the answers to the questions on the N-600 form now make no sense. Do you folks think that I should bring new copies of the form where my daughter (rather than my wife) is the applicant (as would be appropriate for someone 18 or over submitting an application claiming to have become a USC through the CCA before he/she was 18). I'm thinking of reprinting several combinations of the form (one mentioning me, one that doesn't).
  • What's "PASSPORT WITH VISA AND RESIDENT CARD". Being Canadians, I don't think any of us have *ever* had a US visa. I'm thinking we'll bring one of her two GCs (long story - but, they were both valid for a period of about 6 months last year - go figure), her Canadian passport and her US passport (which she has had for slightly more than a year now, and which she has used several times). Does that seem to make sense?
  • These guys start early in the day. The appointment is at 6:30am! At least no one will miss any work.

Tomorrow will be the first day since September 2005 that I will look in my mailbox and not quickly scan for a letter with a USCIS return address (actually there was a period of a couple of weeks in the Spring of 2006 where I remember thinking the same thing - but, after 2 weeks, I got my interview descheduling notice).

The end is near!!!!

Congrats Flydog! I hope you still are planning for chocolate cake to celebrate :) :)

I'll keep your posting since we are intending to adopt, and down the road a N-600 application would come handy...

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally she got it... Congratulations...Once she gets her certificate, you can offically say good bye to INS or whatever they call it now.

Congratulations to you and your Daughter Flydog. I know you have been waiting patiently for the DHS (USCIS) simply to validate Citizenship and yet it took them this much time. Interesting synch issues between the State Department and DHS as well.

So now you have core Citizenship documents for everyone in your family and unless you go for additional family based immigration petitions, you are simply done with this lethargic bureaucracy. :D

Well, we're not quite done with the USCIS yet. We still have the Interview/ceremony/whatever in the middle of next month. Then it will be over!!!

Very happy know n-600 application moved.

Congratulations Flydog. One year is long wait that too without knowing any processing happening with your application or not.

Anyway hope for the best with remaining process. Hopefully she should get her certificate by middle of next month.

-Ashish V

C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S !

Congratulations Flydog. Like you look at your mail I do the same. I am still waiting for my Son's N-600.

We will miss your contributions to this forum, once you are done with this.

Good Luck on her interview/ceremony.

-g

So, do you think this is an "interview" or a "ceremony" or some combination of the two, or two separate things?

While technically it is an interview, in reality it is merely a formality. The USCIS wants to ensure one last time that things are in order.

The first two of those items (the parent and the "passport with visa and resident card") are preceded by bold capital Xes. The third item (the photos) isn't. I'm kind of assuming that they mean "bring the first two, but not the third". However, I'm going to bring all three (as well as the originals of all the documents whose copies were included in the application). Does that seem to make sense?

Yes, I think so. Although the USCIS is usually infallible (I am trying very hard to keep a straight face), they may have made a mistake here by omitting to precede the third item with an X.

Since we applied several things have happened. In particular, I have been naturalized (the original application was based on my wife's naturalization last June - mine was held up till November). The other major change is that my daughter is now 18 and no longer a minor. As a result the wording of the answers to the questions on the N-600 form now make no sense. Do you folks think that I should bring new copies of the form where my daughter (rather than my wife) is the applicant (as would be appropriate for someone 18 or over submitting an application claiming to have become a USC through the CCA before he/she was 18). I'm thinking of reprinting several combinations of the form (one mentioning me, one that doesn't).

I believe that what matters is how old your daughter was when the application was filed and on what basis (your wife's naturalization, not yours) the application was filed. That said, I see no downside to your plans to print various combinations of the application form.

What's "PASSPORT WITH VISA AND RESIDENT CARD". Being Canadians, I don't think any of us have *ever* had a US visa. I'm thinking we'll bring one of her two GCs (long story - but, they were both valid for a period of about 6 months last year - go figure), her Canadian passport and her US passport (which she has had for slightly more than a year now, and which she has used several times). Does that seem to make sense?

Yes, take your daughter's green card, her Canadian passport and her US passport.

Hi Flydog,

Congratulations!!!! :)

Good luck on the "interview" day, although I think it is just a formality and there is little (if at all) that could go wrong.