Yet another Eb1-EA Case evalutation

Gibbs

Registered Users (C)
PhD from a top 5 US university in Computer Science in 2008.
1 year postdoc at another university.
6 peer reviewed papers from international conferences, 1 invited paper.
(I think 6 of them would be labelled 'book chapters" --- they have been published in books with ISBN numbers etc, each paper being 12-15 pages; I get an author discount from the book publisher on all books because of this).
90 citations (excluding self citations)
15 reviews of conference publications.
5 recommendation letters from US/Europe.

What are my chances for EB1-EA ?

Your creds are at par with many others who have gotten EB1-EA approval, including mine (when I applied and got both EA and NIW approved four years ago).

The key is how you present your stuff-- and your recommendation letters.

Good luck.

6 peer reviewed papers from international conferences, 1 invited paper.
(I think 6 of them would be labelled 'book chapters" --- they have been published in books with ISBN numbers etc, each paper being 12-15 pages;

What are my chances for EB1-EA ?

Conference "papers" don't count for much. You need to publish in peer-reviewed (high-profile) journals, e.g, Nature or Science.

I would say your chances are slim to none. I suggest going for EB3. Word on the street is that EB1 and EB2 are getting more and more difficult.

Conference "papers" don't count for much. You need to publish in peer-reviewed (high-profile) journals, e.g, Nature or Science.

I would say your chances are slim to none. I suggest going for EB3. Word on the street is that EB1 and EB2 are getting more and more difficult.

There are no high profile journals in CS, and I dont know of any person who has published in Nature/Science. Peer reviewed conference book chapters are the most common for CS.
I can for sure get EB2 (thats the default for all the people I know), but I am in my home country and do not have a US job.

Yes, CS publications tend to be conference proceedings. They should be good so long as they're peer-reviewed.

No, you don't have to publish in Nature or Science or Cell or PLOS. I never have, yet I've gotten EB1-EA approval. It's all a matter of how you can argue your case, through your cover letter and through your reference letters.

The reference letters may be a bit of a problem. The issue is that the people I work with (my profs and colleagues) are at the very top of their fields. And I certainly would not be amongst the top 1% of people they deal with ... I'm sure they will give me good recos, but I'm not sure they will be "stellar" recos.
Or maybe they will if I tell them its for EB1-EA .... ??

The best way to do it is to explain to them what these EB1-EA reference letters are all about. If they're at the top of their fields, they must have written these things before. The key is to explain to them that hyperbole is the name of the game. If they ask you to suggest ways to write it, or if they ask you to write the letter for them, all the better.

www dot millermayer.com/Immigration/ImmigrantVisas/EB11ExtraordinaryAbility/ExtraordinaryAbilityExtraordinarilyHard/tabid/216/Default.aspx

Indicates very high standards... Only thing I have going for me is the numer of citations :(