Wrong spelling of names in Marriage and birth certificate

dizizit

Registered Users (C)
HI!
I plan on petitioning both my parents...using Form I-130

However, my father's has one misspelled letter from his marriage and birth certificate --->like instead of letter I (from birth certificate.), it's letter E on the marriage certificate

Same thing with my mom, one misspelled letter too from her birth certificate and marriage certificate (instead of letter E, it's I on the other one)

So what should i follow?
And what should they do regarding those? do they need an affidavit from a lawyer or from the local gov't?

help please

I have the similar issue with my mom's birth certificate - in fact the birthdate on the BC is the next day and spelling mistake in name too. We contact the local gov't agency and they have agreed if any one sibling is willing to submit a request for correction along with an affidavit then they will correct their records and reissue the birth certificate.

Hope that helps.

Also when you submit info to USCIS, provide an affidavit stating the mistakes and the correct spelling.

HI!
thanks for replying!

sorry to ask a silly question. where can they get an affidavit regarding the spelling of their names?

Also, my mom's name in her birth certificate is Geraldene Tan and her marriage certificate is Geraldine Tan ,

but she's been using Geraldine eversince, so all of her ID's are with that spelling (Geraldine + spouse's last name)

Should she just stick with Geraldine ??

dizizit said:
HI!
thanks for replying!

sorry to ask a silly question. where can they get an affidavit regarding the spelling of their names?

Also, my mom's name in her birth certificate is Geraldene Tan and her marriage certificate is Geraldine Tan ,

but she's been using Geraldine eversince, so all of her ID's are with that spelling (Geraldine + spouse's last name)

Should she just stick with Geraldine ??
She should definitely stick with Geraldine since all her documents (except for her birth certificate) are spelled that way.
Is your mom's birth certificate in English?

dizizit said:
yes, it's in English
Ok. I was just thinking you could do the translation to match her other documents if it wasn't in English.
To answer your question "where can they get an affidavit regarding the spelling of their names?", I am not sure, but I think you get an affidavit from people to verify that it is the same person, unless the government agency issuing birth certificates would agree to give her a new BC with corrected last name.