Wrong name (maiden name) on GC

resolved1

Registered Users (C)
Does anyone know a quick way to remedy the situation? My wife changed from her maiden name to her married name few months into the 485 process. Our lawyer had filed all the necessary forms for the name change and she did receive EADs and paroles under her new married name. However, all the 485 related correspondence still showed her maiden name. Our lawyer asked us to get it changed at the time we filled out the forms for the GC (post 485 approval) at the local USCIS office. That's what we did. Her approval showed her maiden name but we did fill out her married name in the forms for the GC and explained it to the USCIS officer. Unfortunately, despite all the trouble, she still got her GC under her maiden name. Her SS # is under her married name so it's important that the GC match new married name. I can't understand the depth of incompetency at these offices. How does one get it into their heads that we need the GC under her married name?

Lawyer says we need to fill out the I-90 form and pay $185. I can't believe we need to pay USCIS for their mistake. I will take the lawyer's letter along which requested the name change. USCIS never took any action on it as far as the I-485 is concerned. Just sat on the letter for more than a 1.5 yrs before approving 485 under maiden name. What a waste of time too since we are supposed to file the I-90 in person at the local USCIS office! It's outrageous. Someone needs to hold them accountable.

Does she has the passport in the new name? If she has to travel won't this be a problem. Green card not matching passport.

I got my approval last week but still waiting for my wife's. Her passport and I485 are all in her maiden name. Someone told me to get her new passport with new last name and then go for stamping and tell them to update her last name in USCIS system. By hearing ur story even this is not looking good as green card can still be on her maiden name. Any suggestions how I should go about it.

I was approved for 485 under a family filing and in between approval I got married. I handed the officer a copy of my marriage certificate and told her my last name had changed. She didn't really seem to pay too much attention to it. I applied for an SSN under my married name. I am still waiting for the GC, I haven't even received my letter of approval yet. My status online still says "your fingerprints....etc" like it did pre-approval. I called the 800 number and the lady told me i should receive my letter within 30 days. In any case, i decided that if my GC comes in my maiden name, I'll just get a new SSN card with my maiden name on it. Seems like it's much easier to deal with the SSN office than INS....This is possible right?

Change of name

Our case was a bit different. The lawyer had already filed a letter with the relevant service center informing them of the change in name. However, the card came under my wife's maiden name. We went to the local USCIS office with a cover letter, filled out I-90 and a copy of the lawyer's letter dating back to 2002. The officer wasn't sure that we had proof enough and thought we should pay the I-90 (for change of name) fee. However, we insisted that it wasn't our fault. The officer said she would forward all the information (including copies of EAD and parole papers which were issued under the correct name) to the relevant service center. We got a receipt notice within a month informing us that the fee had been waived. My wife recently received the correct card too. So all's well that ends well.

I just talked to CIS and they informed me that everything is in my maiden name, so no surprise there....I already told my husband that i'm not going to bother and just go by my maiden name. How is it possible that they issue you a SS card with your married name on it? Because all they need is the marriage certificate?
This board is great, BTW. I found out more information here than any of the CIS websites combined.

hi resolved1,

how long it took for you get the card after I-90 filing at local office. My wife is also in the same boat. which service center? chicao local office forwarded my wife's I-90 to NSC. received same letter showing fee waived.