Wrong Entry on I-94 - how to get it corrected ?

I recently travelled to India. When returning to US, at LA immigration
produced both my Passport and the latest I-797. My passport has an old US VISA which was valid only till Nov 2001. But my I-797 is valid till May 2003. Unfortunately the immigration officer has given an I-94 which is valid ony till Nov 2001, instead of giving it till my I-797 validity date. I totally forgot to check the I-94 when I was in LA, as I had to hurry to catch a connecting local flight and I was already delayed. I happened to see the I-94 only recently.... and its already expired. I\'m trying to figure out if I can contact INS to point out this mistake and get it corrected without leaving the country. Has anybody faced this kind of a problem before... and if so what have you done to get it corrected ??

check your I-94 of I-797

Just check your I-94 on the approval notice, You can use that as I-94. Plus In the mean time ; get your visa stamped on your passport in case if your leaving the country for vacation or so.

If you have valid I-94 as part of Notice ; then my understanding is you don\'t need to contact INS for correction.

Please check with people.

Thanks

Sayed

No Title

The I-94 from the I-797 form was stapled to my Passport when I travelled to India, and it was valid till May 2003. When leaving the country they took this I-94. So, I had to get a new I-94 when coming back. So I do not have the I-94 which came with my I-797, but have a new I-94 which has expired. I\'ve got my VISA revalidated and it\'s now valid till May 2003, but my I-94 has expired.... and since VISA isn\'t any good for your stay in the US... I\'m trying to see how to get this I-94 corrected ??

No Title

I\'m in the same situation. I have sent in the copy of my current I-94, which is already expired, along with a copy of my new approval notice (valid till 3/2003) and I-102 to local INS office requesting them to issue me a correctly endorsed I-94. I twice went to INS office in Newark, NJ to have it corrected but seems like they do not have authority to do that (strange !!!). My wait is already 1.5 months todate. In the meantime I have applied for 485.

If INS do not send me an updated I-94 card, then there are 2 options -

1. Apply for H-1 extension (even though its not required technically). If approved, I will get a new I-797A with a new I-94 card with the correct date on it. And this I-94 will override the current one.

2. Travel to home country and get a new I-94 upon arrival. I\'m not sure if this can be accomplished (just getting new I-94) by travelling to Canada or Mexico via car. Can anyone shade some light on this matter. Got visa revalidated as per the approval notice.

Either one would have to be exercised before 180 days have lapsed (from I-94 expiry date).

Someone told me that unauthorised stay is not accumulated by having a valid H1 approval notice (without its I-94). I would like to believe this but I don\'t.

This is my 2c worth.

I got it corrected at the local INS

I was in an identical situation and went to the local INS and they corrected it for me. This is not unusual. The difference was that I had a still valid I 94 card when I went to the INS. Hope this helps.