Write to Zoe Lofgren for namecheck

Posted in namechecktracker forum:

Here is the reply from my congressman on namecheck
-------------------------------------------------------
I appreciate your frustration about the security clearance process. It has been my experience that until the FBI check clears, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is powerless to adjudicate any case. In one sense, the case is out of the hands of the USCIS at the moment, because they need the FBI's clearance in order to proceed.
As for the FBI's involvement in this whole process, they are the agency that is tasked with clearing the names and dates of birth. Our office has tried very hard to get through to the FBI to find out the status of particular name checks, and the FBI has made it clear that they are not at liberty to share that information with us. In speaking with the Congressional liaison at the FBI, I have found that the most they are willing to share is that a check is either still pending or has been resolved - information that we can much more easily and expeditiously obtain from the USCIS.
For obvious reasons, Congressman does not have the authority to compel the FBI to clear any case. We have been told that the FBI is only willing to process name checks expediently in life-and-death emergencies; even now, there are thousands of these outstanding. We have also inquired repeatedly as to why the process is so very lengthy for some cases but not others. It seems that at some point over the past few years, the FBI realized that the security checks being performed on cases were sub-par, and it was decided that the only viable remedy would be to re-run the name check on every single pending application at that time. This process inundated the FBI with some 2.7 million name check requests, many of which still remain pending today. Furthermore, the FBI receives over 60,000 new name check requests each week, and almost half of these come from the USCIS.

In response to pressure from offices like ours, the FBI, as well as the USCIS, is now dedicating a greater amount of resources to this task, and you can rest assured that we will keep the pressure on in this situation. Also, as it has been explained to me, names are submitted in a queue, and the entire queue must be cleared before any in the queue can be returned.

Finally, names are run through the system as every possible variation. For instance, John William Smith would have to clear the system as John William Smith, William Smith John, Smith John William, John Smith William, and so on. If there is more than one person with a single name and date of birth, the FBI must separate them from their counterpart(s) before
they can clear the name.

The good news is that I see the clearances coming back every day, so there is certainly a light at the end of the tunnel! You are absolutely correct in saying that your name check has been pending for an unnecessarily long time, which leads me to believe that it will clear sooner rather than later. What we have found to be most helpful in cases such as yours is to keep inquiring with the USCIS on a regular basis as to the status of the case so that we might be able to catch the case as soon as it comes back from the security agencies. The most frustrating thing I have seen is when checks come back from the FBI after being pending for months and years and because nobody is actively working on the case at the USCIS, they simply don't know and don't adjudicate the case. When the checks come back, the USCIS has the ability to adjudicate and is happy to do so quickly upon our request. I truly wish we could compel the FBI to clear a case, but we have found them to be completely unwilling to accommodate such requests.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for the confusion, but post #21 is not really mine - I quoted someone else there. I think the congressman had a name like Holt or something like that.

Lofgren once again expressed willingness to help on

solving the FBI name check delay issue in a number of most recent meetings with immigrants and their advocates, such as the one on 9/18.

Let's keep the 'soft pressure' on her to do something quickly. I just mailed out a letter.

This file http://www.cyrusmehta.com/related/Ayetes_Memo_on_Name_Checks.pdf has a lot of detail of FBI name check, it says FBI name check search people born in same year.
The memo goes on to state that the name checks are conducted using an applicant’s name and date of birth, as listed on the application. Alias submissions and spelling variations do not require a separate check. If only the month and date of birth is incorrect, but not the year, a separate name check is not required. But if the year is incorrect, a separate name check needs to be initiated. Names are searched in a multitude of combinations, switching the order of the first, middle, and last names, as well as the combination of just the first and last names, referred to as an “around the clock” search.
on this link - page 2 says " name check is required for advance permission to enter US as non-immigrant. Does that mean Advance Payrol requiers Name Check to be cleared first ??

mine and spouse EAD's are approved but both of our's AP are pending and its been over 100 days since RD.

Any idea if AP depends upon Name Check ??

My EAD and AP is cuurently still not approved my wife and 2 children had their EAD and AP's approved. I went to Infopass to see what the hold up was on my cases and they said thet my case was in BC and that was the reason that they had not appoved the EAD and AP.

I did not think that BC held up these cases. What do people do who have been waiting years to get there BC done.

Can someone shed some light?

Thanks

Send FBI NC Question 4 Dem Presidential Debate tonight at MSNBC

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18182175/

Please send question at the link above for Democratic Presidential Debate tonight 9-11pm ET and do it for every debate, I already sent mine:

Send your own question but may be similar to this

1. How do you justify long Delays in a name check clearance by FBI?
2. As president what are you going to do to improve the process to get clearance within days?

Important bill introduced

An important bill was introduced in the house today that forces the FBI to end all namecheck backlogs. This is a very short bill and it has just one provision - to end namecheck backlogs. This is exacly the kind of bill we were looking for.

The important thing for all of us:
WRITE TO YOUR REPRESENTATIVE AND ASK HIM/HER TO SUPPORT THIS BILL.

Unless you write, this bill is not going to pass - please do so immediately.
You can find out who your representative is and for instructions on how to contact him/her here:

http://www.house.gov/writerep/

PDF version: http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=110_cong_bills&docid=f:h3828ih.txt.pdf

HR 3828:
(a) In General- Not later than 180 days after the date of the enactment of this Act, the Attorney General and the Secretary of Homeland Security shall jointly provide to the Committees on the Judiciary, Homeland Security, and Appropriations of the House of Representatives, and the Committees on the Judiciary, Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs, and Appropriations of the Senate, a plan for ensuring that, within 18 months of the date of enactment of this Act, the National Name Check Program, administered by the Records Management Division of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), will no longer have any requested name checks from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) in backlog status.

(b) Elements of Plan- The plan shall include the following elements:

(1) Necessary improvements to computer systems so that all records may be transmitted, maintained, and checked electronically, and whether it is possible to centralize this information in a single searchable database.

(2) How the FBI will improve communications with USCIS to ensure the maximum efficiency in processing name check requests from that agency.

(3) Security upgrades in transferring information between the FBI and USCIS to ensure the privacy of any individual receiving a name check.

(4) Long-term fixes that will prevent any future backlog, including a risk management analysis of changes that can be made to streamline the process and policies for obtaining FBI name checks in connection with applications and petitions for immigration benefits.

(5) An estimate of the funding required to complete the operation by the required date along with an estimate of any possible fee increases.

(6) A study regarding the best practices in assessing the level of risk presented by applicants. The study will determine whether the current risk assessment process should be modified.

(7) A report of the number of applications and petitions that remain pending at USCIS more than 6 months after the name check results have been returned from the FBI to USCIS.

(c) Effect of Backlog On and After 18 Months of the Date of Enactment of This Act- Beginning 18 months after the date of the enactment of this Act, the National Name Check Program is not authorized to have any file in backlog status. After that date, any name check request from USCIS held in the possession of the National Name Check Program for longer than 6 months--

(1) will be referred to the Secretary of Homeland Security, who shall adjudicate interim benefits in connection with the application with which the FBI name check was requested, unless the Secretary certifies there is reasonable cause to suspect that the applicant poses a threat to national security, otherwise poses a threat to the United States, or has broken United States immigration law; and

(2) the name check fee shall be fully refunded.

(d) Backlog- For purposes of this section, the term `backlog' means, with respect to a file sent to the National Name Check Program from USCIS, that the file has been pending under the jurisdiction of the Justice Department for longer than 6 months.

END

Flowers - Flowers - Flowers

Lets plan a day to send flowers to FBI. Looks like it may be going to work fine. Its really good idea.

An important bill was introduced in the house today that forces the FBI to end all namecheck backlogs. This is a very short bill and it has just one provision - to end namecheck backlogs. This is exacly the kind of bill we were looking for.

The important thing for all of us:
WRITE TO YOUR REPRESENTATIVE AND ASK HIM/HER TO SUPPORT THIS BILL.

Unless you write, this bill is not going to pass - please do so immediately.
You can find out who your representative is and for instructions on how to contact him/her here:

http://www.house.gov/writerep/

PDF version: http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=110_cong_bills&docid=f:h3828ih.txt.pdf

HR 3828:
(a) In General- Not later than 180 days after the date of the enactment of this Act, the Attorney General and the Secretary of Homeland Security shall jointly provide to the Committees on the Judiciary, Homeland Security, and Appropriations of the House of Representatives, and the Committees on the Judiciary, Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs, and Appropriations of the Senate, a plan for ensuring that, within 18 months of the date of enactment of this Act, the National Name Check Program, administered by the Records Management Division of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), will no longer have any requested name checks from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) in backlog status.

(b) Elements of Plan- The plan shall include the following elements:

(1) Necessary improvements to computer systems so that all records may be transmitted, maintained, and checked electronically, and whether it is possible to centralize this information in a single searchable database.

(2) How the FBI will improve communications with USCIS to ensure the maximum efficiency in processing name check requests from that agency.

(3) Security upgrades in transferring information between the FBI and USCIS to ensure the privacy of any individual receiving a name check.

(4) Long-term fixes that will prevent any future backlog, including a risk management analysis of changes that can be made to streamline the process and policies for obtaining FBI name checks in connection with applications and petitions for immigration benefits.

(5) An estimate of the funding required to complete the operation by the required date along with an estimate of any possible fee increases.

(6) A study regarding the best practices in assessing the level of risk presented by applicants. The study will determine whether the current risk assessment process should be modified.

(7) A report of the number of applications and petitions that remain pending at USCIS more than 6 months after the name check results have been returned from the FBI to USCIS.

(c) Effect of Backlog On and After 18 Months of the Date of Enactment of This Act- Beginning 18 months after the date of the enactment of this Act, the National Name Check Program is not authorized to have any file in backlog status. After that date, any name check request from USCIS held in the possession of the National Name Check Program for longer than 6 months--

(1) will be referred to the Secretary of Homeland Security, who shall adjudicate interim benefits in connection with the application with which the FBI name check was requested, unless the Secretary certifies there is reasonable cause to suspect that the applicant poses a threat to national security, otherwise poses a threat to the United States, or has broken United States immigration law; and

(2) the name check fee shall be fully refunded.

(d) Backlog- For purposes of this section, the term `backlog' means, with respect to a file sent to the National Name Check Program from USCIS, that the file has been pending under the jurisdiction of the Justice Department for longer than 6 months.

END