• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Wow one week to go!!!!

jayo2k

Registered Users (C)
Everytime i try to forget about the lottery, telling myself that it is just a lottery... but when the clock is ticking... I can't help but stress... I should be happy.. I live in montreal (student visa) while lot of people are trying to come here but me... By the way, the green card is way better than any student visa especialy the quebec one... I so want to win because here i can not do nothing.... I pray god for that. I left the USA last august and allways wanted to go back.

May god do what's best for us all.. If we do not win then we were not supposed to win!
I learned that... I lost twice and everytime i think about it, losing was the best option since it would have make everything more complicated... but now, all good. I want to win.. I miss new york, DC, boston & my wife miss Portland

hi

@jayo2k and forumite i live in a remote area where there is no cafe can i use my internet mobile phone to check the dv lottery result on may 1 and get accurate result?

To all DV2014 applicants, I wish you the very best of luck and I pray that all selectees on May 1st will go through. Everyone has an equal chance of being selected.

In my case I had never played the DV Lottery until I was sitting at home in October 2012 bored out of my mind and decided to fill the form as a joke and ended up being selected on May 1st so I got lucky on my first go and I hope some of you will be equally as lucky as I know many play it for years and don't get selected.

The key to the DV comes in three areas and I will elaborate as follows:

- Patience - you will be two years into the DV by the time you get to your interview and the stress is going to really get to you (like it has to me) but the key is not to stress and be patient. This is the time you'll have to be able to do your research and solidify your reasons about going to America. Many people who haven't been there think it's a bed of roses waiting for them (which it is not) and end up disappointed when faced with reality. For those who believe in God, this is the time to pray your guts off and ask for strength and the ability and means to take this step.

- Documentation/Information - make sure your documentation is properly filled out and you begin compiling all your readily available documents early e.g. high school diplomas, any certificates, marriage certificates, divorce certificates, birth certificates etc. Get these things together EARLY and DO NOT wait till you are told of your interview because you don't want to be in a situation of rushing at the last minute and having problems obtaining these items. Even if you don't get selected on May 1st, keep these things handy. Don't BS the KCC or your respective US Embassy. Tell them the truth about your intentions because if you lie on the form and get away with it you will definitely get caught out at the interview. Give them authentic original documentation and truthful information. Integrity will go a long way in America and you can't cheat your way through the US system.

- Finances - my friends for those who have never been to America, that place costs money and I mean REAL money. Get your finances in order and make sure you have a decent amount of savings handy. If you have an affidavit of support from an employer and a job waiting for you then you're lucky but for those who will land there without jobs and have to look for a job will have to live off their own savings. America like any place is where you can be comfortable if: a) You're wealthy, b) You have a good job, c) you're willing to work your guts off and make it.

Oh and for those who end up with high case numbers, don't panic. You'll have your shot unless they do a DV-2008 and give cut-offs to cut you out. Every year the chances have been equal for all case numbers.

Also remember that some matters such as medical checkups (in the event you are granted an interview) and police certificates have a validity period and make sure you check this in your respective country.

3 Ps - Patience, Preparedness, Prayer

Vaya Con Dios to all...(as Keanu Reeves said to Patrick Swayze in Point Break)

Case No - DV2013AF0007XXXX (applied the first time and got it the first time - lucky me lol)
Entry Checked - 1st May 2012
Forms Sent To KCC - 10th May 2012
Received By KCC - 12th May 2012
Confirmation From KCC - 25th May 2012 after I sent them an email
2nd NL - Not Yet
Police Clearance - Not Yet
Medicals - Not Yet
Interviews - Hopefully in mid-August
Visa Pick up - Hopefully in mid-August
Port of Entry - New York JFK

Momo1980 you are one lucky person! I hope to be lucky just like you!
Good luck to everyone, I know that this week will be tough for all of us.

Every place in the western world cost money to settle... But believe me, usa is not the more expensive one by far... Right now I live in canada and believe me it is way more expensive than the usa... When i arrived in montreal from Boston i was just shocked about how my monthly expenses skyrocked

when i applied in October 2011 , it just took me 10 minutes for that, then i forget about it, until the 3 may 2012 when i enter my code, i find myself choosen, i did not believe it, i thought it was just a scam, i was looking about forums to explain my case, then they told me it is real one and i really one, a gift from god.

good luck for all of u !

Everytime i try to forget about the lottery, telling myself that it is just a lottery... but when the clock is ticking... I can't help but stress... I should be happy.. I live in montreal (student visa) while lot of people are trying to come here but me... By the way, the green card is way better than any student visa especialy the quebec one... I so want to win because here i can not do nothing.... I pray god for that. I left the USA last august and allways wanted to go back.

May god do what's best for us all.. If we do not win then we were not supposed to win!
I learned that... I lost twice and everytime i think about it, losing was the best option since it would have make everything more complicated... but now, all good. I want to win.. I miss new york, DC, boston & my wife miss Portland

what do u like the most on the US?

what do u like the most on the US?

Cheap goods, like cheap groceries, cheap clothes, cheap cars, cheap bills, cheap internet/phones ect...
More things to do than Canada, better climate, more opportunities ect...

but still, more violent...

I would suggest not to get too stressed about this GC entry... I`d rather enter and forget and if it doesnt work out well it doesn't...

Don't worry man.. you'll get the Green card and you move to your favourite place...6 more days to go...

Cheap goods, like cheap groceries, cheap clothes, cheap cars, cheap bills, cheap internet/phones ect...
More things to do than Canada, better climate, more opportunities ect...

but still, more violent...

Canada can be a fake country compared to US ? Montreal so many people are living with BS

Wow, delighted to meet you guys here. Jayo2k, nice to meet you bro.... Long time no see. The last time I was here was last year of thereabout at the heat of the moment concerning the 22k winners whose result got rescinded. I remember all the drama and when I think of it, I just laugh. Anyways, I did apply this time around, and hopefully in the few days to come, I will check and hope I get selected. That being said, I want to wish good luck to everybody on here. Adios

Canada can be a fake country compared to US ? Montreal so many people are living with BS
Canada is a nice place, just not really for me... Sure if you come from places like France (Lot of french people in Montreal), third world countries, you will like Montreal... But me after living some times in USA, I feel like canada is the country that wants to emulate usa but just can't...
What you mean with BS?

Me what i did not like in Montreal at least was:
-Their obsession with speaking french (Language police... 101 bill)

-high taxes (I bought a fridge... the price was $360 but with taxes I got at $480 (You have federal taxe then provincial taxes which in fact it taxes the taxe....).. combined you have a litle more than 15% sale taxes...

-The cold... winter is just too long

-Apart from the rent (Which is a good thing) everything is expensive. The rent... about same price as Dallas but to buy a house? Very expensive

-To get a job, you basically need to know someone... So it is very hard for newcomer to get a good job... the underemployment rate in Montreal is crazy especially among the immigrants... (10% for the whole city and usually double that for the immigrant only)

Good parts:
-Very but I mean very safe... Canada as a whole is a very safe country
-Lots of parks
-Good schools
-Easier immigration system

Wow, delighted to meet you guys here. Jayo2k, nice to meet you bro.... Long time no see. The last time I was here was last year of thereabout at the heat of the moment concerning the 22k winners whose result got rescinded. I remember all the drama and when I think of it, I just laugh. Anyways, I did apply this time around, and hopefully in the few days to come, I will check and hope I get selected. That being said, I want to wish good luck to everybody on here. Adios

hehe, yep usualy arround that time I come back, hopng to win. The dv fiasco at the end was a good thing for me because I wasn't ready for the states yes... Creazy how things who seemed like bad things at first turned out to be the best thing

Let me add that I am not only waiting for the lottery.. Actualy I am aiming at the F1 visa (start up visa). To get it, i created a social website where people can talk about anything they want on a front page board and also can create webpage in seconds... Once my website turn start up and if I (God no) Do not win the Dv, i will apply for the F1.

My website is here http://buzztc.com

Every place in the western world cost money to settle... But believe me, usa is not the more expensive one by far... Right now I live in canada and believe me it is way more expensive than the usa... When i arrived in montreal from Boston i was just shocked about how my monthly expenses skyrocked

Starting up new in any country is initially expensive but I agree with you totally about Canada vs. USA for everyday living expenses. And that's what counts - the long-term expenses. I'm currently in BC but know Montreal well (was just there for my interview last month). One thing about Montreal: food's cheaper than here, both in grocery stores and restaurants. I can't believe the crazy price of cheese here, same for chicken. Lamb ... forget it, ridiculous. Fruit and veggies are also less in the US.

Just about everything is more in Canada and there's all sorts of taxes on top of it all. In BC you have to add 12% to most goods and services. In the US, it is state dependent, but around 6-7% state sales tax seems to be the average. Park your car at the long-term parking at the Vancouver airport: 32% tax on top of the charge! Plus HST!

Gasoline where we are moving to in the US is about $3.80/gal. Here, it is equivalent to $5/gal. Our dog needs medicine for his stomach (he's old). In the US it costs $21/month. Here $45/month. It's all those things - a dollar more for this, $5 more for that, $20+ more for something else, it adds up. We've crunched the numbers. Even with paying for health insurance in the US, we will be ahead of the game. We still have to pay health insurance premiums here anyway, it's not free, like some believe.

Good luck to you, jayo!

Starting up new in any country is initially expensive but I agree with you totally about Canada vs. USA for everyday living expenses. And that's what counts - the long-term expenses. I'm currently in BC but know Montreal well (was just there for my interview last month). One thing about Montreal: food's cheaper than here, both in grocery stores and restaurants. I can't believe the crazy price of cheese here, same for chicken. Lamb ... forget it, ridiculous. Fruit and veggies are also less in the US.

Just about everything is more in Canada and there's all sorts of taxes on top of it all. In BC you have to add 12% to most goods and services. In the US, it is state dependent, but around 6-7% state sales tax seems to be the average. Park your car at the long-term parking at the Vancouver airport: 32% tax on top of the charge! Plus HST!

Gasoline where we are moving to in the US is about $3.80/gal. Here, it is equivalent to $5/gal. Our dog needs medicine for his stomach (he's old). In the US it costs $21/month. Here $45/month. It's all those things - a dollar more for this, $5 more for that, $20+ more for something else, it adds up. We've crunched the numbers. Even with paying for health insurance in the US, we will be ahead of the game. We still have to pay health insurance premiums here anyway, it's not free, like some believe.

Good luck to you, jayo!

Thanks.. and I envy you hehe.
about sale taxes in us, some places like Oregon doesn't even have sale taxes...
quick examples:

Boston vs Montreal :
Milk
Boston : 3$ a gallon... Montreal : 4$ for half a gallon...

eggs :
Boston : 1.8$ for 12.... Montreal : 3.12$ for 12

Water :
Boston : 0.50$ a gallon ... Montreal : 1.27$ a gallon

italian saussages (I miss them so much...)
Boston : 2$ for 6.... Montreal : 4$ for 6

And thoses prices are from Maxi, the cheapest store in Quebec... If you go to places like IGA, metro, provigo... You will just cry tears...
And the internet and phone company MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD.... I miss metro PCS so much
I can go on and on... Not to mention the clothes, less shopping options... and... NO MACY'S... That's an outrage... At least in Ontaario they have Marshalls... and here we have winner (like marshalls but smaller... owned by the same company thats own marshalls...)

by the way, where are you planning to go?

Last edited by a moderator:
...italian saussages (I miss them so much...)
Boston : 2$ for 6.... Montreal : 4$ for 6

lol! We love a good Italian sausage too but here they are pretty much over a $1 each! Thank heavens for Costco because you can save by shopping in bulk there, and freezing. We will do that in the US as well, but save more money.

I can go on and on... Not to mention the clothes, less shopping options... and... NO MACY'S... That's an outrage... At least in Ontaario they have Marshalls... and here we have winner (like marshalls but smaller... owned by the same company thats own marshalls...)

by the way, where are you planning to go?

I love Marshall's! And TJMax and BigLots, all those discount stores. You can pick up real treasures there for next to nothing. You can outfit your closet and your whole house so cheaply by going there regularly and browsing through the bargains.

We are off to Florida for now.