***Would you hire a Lawyer for This?***

ahmedsi

Registered Users (C)
:confused:

I am currently on F-1 (foreign student) and my wife is a US citizen. My wife will file in the adjustment of status for me.

Would you hire a lawyer if you were in my scenario:

Wife (citizen) will live in NJ (has been living in NJ before marriage) till December 2008 which is her graduation date.
Reason she is NOT moving to houston is because if she moves to houston (where i reside) she will fall behind and will have to take another 30-40 hours to graduate and she is more than willing to graduate since she is wants to take her CPA (Certified Public Accountant) exam.
In addition, she has loans to pay off and cant afford to take out more loan for something that she's already done with.

Please advise me on this...

Thanks!!!

it is not needed, and your case doesnt seem complicated, so i would say no, i have one but my case is a little more complicated.

When is she moving to Houston?

Wife (citizen) is 'guaranteed' will move to Houston in December, 2008 (right after she graduates!)

ALSO What if the IO (during the interview) asks: Why didnt I (husband, ahmedsi) move to New Jersey, if she (my wife, citizen) couldnt? Reason for that is because NEW JERSEY is way expensive to live compared to Houston. For example, Im paying $600 for 2bed, 1bath apartment where as in New Jersey I would pay around $1100 for a 1 bed, 1bath apartment. Also in New Jersey car insurance is way expensive than Houston, etc.

Would this be a satisfactory enough answer to the IO?

ANY MORE SUGGESTIONS WOULD GREATLY BE APPRECIATED!

Last edited by a moderator:
Fo God's sake

Wife (citizen) is 'guaranteed' will move to Houston in December, 2008 (right after she graduates!)

ALSO What if the IO (during the interview) asks: Why didnt I (husband, ahmedsi) move to New Jersey, if she (my wife, citizen) couldnt? Reason for that is because NEW JERSEY is way expensive to live compared to Houston. For example, Im paying $600 for 2bed, 1bath apartment where as in New Jersey I would pay around $1100 for a 1 bed, 1bath apartment. Also in New Jersey car insurance is way expensive than Houston, etc.

For God's sake, please don't use that lame excuse about not moving to NJ coz of high cost of living in NJ. You are definitely asking for trouble by givinh the officer such a childish reason.
You can always say that you had things to take care of in Houston, TX and that is why you couldn't relocate to NJ. Do you have airline tickets that proves that both of you used to travel between TX and NJ to see each other?

For God's sake, please don't use that lame excuse about not moving to NJ coz of high cost of living in NJ. You are definitely asking for trouble by givinh the officer such a childish reason.
You can always say that you had things to take care of in Houston, TX and that is why you couldn't relocate to NJ. Do you have airline tickets that proves that both of you used to travel between TX and NJ to see each other?

Not all of them (missing the first trip ONLY, that was on Jan 20 when my wife came to Houston from NJ) but saved for after Jan 20th trip saved 'e-tickets' that we travelled on from TX to NJ and viceversa for my wife.

ANY MORE SUGGESTIONS!???

GOD BLESS!

ahmedsi,

If your marriage is real, then don't worry about a thing. Focus on the fact that you are moving in together and try to have some proof and try not to mention why you haven't moved in yet.

You shuold be fine, your case is a piece of case, you haven't been here without status.

Easy case.

:confused:

I am currently on F-1 (foreign student) and my wife is a US citizen. My wife will file in the adjustment of status for me.

Would you hire a lawyer if you were in my scenario:

Wife (citizen) will live in NJ (has been living in NJ before marriage) till December 2008 which is her graduation date.
Reason she is NOT moving to houston is because if she moves to houston (where i reside) she will fall behind and will have to take another 30-40 hours to graduate and she is more than willing to graduate since she is wants to take her CPA (Certified Public Accountant) exam.
In addition, she has loans to pay off and cant afford to take out more loan for something that she's already done with.

Please advise me on this...

Thanks!!!

ahmedsi,

If your marriage is real, then don't worry about a thing. Focus on the fact that you are moving in together and try to have some proof and try not to mention why you haven't moved in yet.

You shuold be fine, your case is a piece of case, you haven't been here without status.

Easy case.

WE HAD AN ARRANGED MARRIAGE AND IT'S 100% AUTHENTIC...MY PAST RECORD IS CLEAN. NO CRIMINAL RECORD, NO ISSUES OF ANY KIND with my background

ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS!!!!?????????????????

Be careful when you use the word "arranged", some people are not familiar with Indian culture and may mistake it for another type of "arranged" marriage. Oh and why are you yelling?

Be careful when you use the word "arranged", some people are not familiar with Indian culture and may mistake it for another type of "arranged" marriage. Oh and why are you yelling?

Arranged marriage is part of our indian culture in which parents choice of spouse for their son/daughter is partially involved.
In our case my wifes parents and my parents are good old family friends. So we knew each others family and so on...!

Anyways back to the point...

ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS (would be greatly appreciated)???

ahmedsi, your marriage was entered to in good faith, you have acceptable reasons for not currently living together, your wife plans to move in with you after she graduates, I do not see that this is a complicated case and therefore, as long as you feel you understand all the instructions and rules for the forms you wish to file, I would say that no, you do not require a lawyer. Good luck!

Arrange marriage

Arranged marriage is part of our indian culture in which parents choice of spouse for their son/daughter is partially involved.
In our case my wifes parents and my parents are good old family friends. So we knew each others family and so on...!

Anyways back to the point...

ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS (would be greatly appreciated)???

I 100% agree with Canuck_in_Cali. Since she has been to the interview so I'd say she carries more experience in this area.
Talking about "arrange marriage", what Jan08filer is saying definitely makes sense. You gotta watch what you say coz it's true lot of ppl out here in US do not understand the meaning of arrange marriage. We definitely don't want to confuse the officer at the time of the interview. Make him think & give him/her an excuse not to make a decision on your case the same day. We definitely don't want that. I would use the word "introduce" instead. Tell the officer that you 2 were introduced and were given an opportunity to like each other, discuss each other's interests, likes & dislikes and finally got married. Never dated or lived together b4 marriage coz it's against our culture/religion. That should summarize everything in a nut shell and explain it all. Good luck.

I 100% agree with Canuck_in_Cali. Since she has been to the interview so I'd say she carries more experience in this area.
Talking about "arrange marriage", what Jan08filer is saying definitely makes sense. You gotta watch what you say coz it's true lot of ppl out here in US do not understand the meaning of arrange marriage. We definitely don't want to confuse the officer at the time of the interview. Make him think & give him/her an excuse not to make a decision on your case the same day. We definitely don't want that. I would use the word "introduce" instead. Tell the officer that you 2 were introduced and were given an opportunity to like each other, discuss each other's interests, likes & dislikes and finally got married. Never dated or lived together b4 marriage coz it's against our culture/religion. That should summarize everything in a nut shell and explain it all. Good luck.

what u saying is really the most appropriate way of saying it...Thanks Atlanta_Brother!

ahmedsi,

first hand experience here with going to an interview while not living in the same city as my spouse. I agree with most everything else that's been said. Be sure to submit a letter with your application explaining your situation and your plans, so the IO has something in writing and hopefully already has an idea what you'll be doing when you go for your interview. Bring a copy of your wife's degree plan to the interview, and ideally be prepared to show evidence how finishing this degree will help her find a job in Houston in her field that she otherwise couldn't get.

I also agree that the "too expensive to live in NJ" reason will not fly well with the IO in terms of why you don't live together right now. If it's not too expensive for your wife, why would it be too expensive for yourself? I suppose you want to hear the advice from the IO that you have to make compromises in a marriage. (I would say "too expensive" for both of you to live together is probably only a good idea if you have a convincing case that you really can't afford a place to live for two in NJ and therefore have a place for one in NJ and in TX.)

But I think you can make the cost of living case for explaining your longer term decision on where both of you will settle. For instance, you could explain that you and your wife decided to settle in Texas because of the cost of living, that's why your wife will be moving here and not the other way around. Then, you're left to explain why you don't live with your wife during this transition period. Any practical reasons you have? A lease contract you have in Houston? Or does your wife have a lease contract at a place which makes it impractical for both of you to live there together? Since you're an F-1 student, I'm assuming you're pursuing a degree program in Houston which would make it impractical to move?