Worried about medical insurance for parents

murli_p

Registered Users (C)
Hi Everyone,

I am sure I am not the first one who is worried about providing health insurance to parents. I have started the GC process process for my parents in CA in october and it is cruising along well. I have already recd. my father's I-130 approval and should be getting my mothers also soon.

I have been doing some research for medical coverage. My father is 67 and he is a cancer survivor ( 2 years now) and my mom is 59.

I believe there is no problem to buy decent coverage upto 65 yrs. The real problem starts after 65.

Medi-cal( Calfornia version of medicaid) kicks in after 5 yrs. Even if you get approved before that, they might always go after you because you have signed the affidivat of support.

Medicare ( Buyin) :: Again, it kicks in only after 5 years.

Nobody is willing to insure people over 65. Even if they do, they charge ridiculous amounts.

Some people have suggested that I should own a business and provide health coverage thru the business.

I would be grateful if people could share their experiences on how they have solved this problem.

Thanks in Advance

Thanks

Thanks for yr reply.

Does this insurance you are talking about has any pre-existing condition gotchas. Most of the personal insurances that are available have do not cover any preexisting conditions.

Thanks in Advance

murli_p said:
Thanks for yr reply.

Does this insurance you are talking about has any pre-existing condition gotchas. Most of the personal insurances that are available have do not cover any preexisting conditions.

Thanks in Advance

If you read the URL you can understand everything. After 6 months preexisting condition will be applied.

murli_p said:
Hi Everyone,

Medi-cal( Calfornia version of medicaid) kicks in after 5 yrs. Even if you get approved before that, they might always go after you because you have signed the affidivat of support.
I heard that you can get Medi-Cal only if you're at least 65 years older. What do you mean it kicks in after 5 years?

murli_p said:
Hi Everyone,

Medicare ( Buyin) :: Again, it kicks in only after 5 years.
They can not get Medicare unless they're citizen.

Last edited by a moderator:
There have been significant changes in welfare in this country in the last few years. If you visit the medi-cal websites, it will appear to you that anyone over 65 is eligible. Generally if the person receives SSI, he/she will be automatically enrolled in medi-cal/medicaid. The "infamous" welfare reform of 1996 ( under Clinton) took away most of the welfare from new immigrants. GC holders before 08/22/96 continue to receive SSI and medicaid + medicare even though they have not contributed even a penny to the welfare system.

In addition to that, the new affidivat of support is more strict about public welfare benefits. I believe the sponsor is fully responsible for the beneficiary for a period of 5 years. Once the beneficiary becomes a citizen, they are entitled for SSI and medicaid/medi-cal.

Some people have ignored the affidivat of support ( here in ca) and applied for medi-cal and they even got approved ( god knows how). From what I undestand, if the govt comes after them, the sponsor will have to repay all the money that has been spent towards their medical.

INS recently clarified that use of medi-cal/medicaid is not considered a public charge and they will not deport on that basis.

INS would deport only when an elderly is in a nursing home on a long term basis.

Thanks