Working while waiting for asylum decision

Gedza

Registered Users (C)
Hi. I'm new to this forum so this may have been discussed somewhere else, if so, please direct me there.

I want to find out if working illegally while waiting for your asylum decision will affect you later on when you are applying for a green card or even when applying for citizenship down the line? I have both a state issued driving license and an unrestricted social security card.

Thank you for your help.

How can you have an unrestricted social security card?
did you had legal working permit in the past?

I used to live here. I got the ss card in 1991 when I was in college and back then, I was able to work with just that and my ID as proof (actually called the dept of labor at the time and that's what they told me I could do). Does anyone know if working will affect the process at a later date?

I used to live here. I got the ss card in 1991 when I was in college and back then, I was able to work with just that and my ID as proof (actually called the dept of labor at the time and that's what they told me I could do). Does anyone know if working will affect the process at a later date?

The law say you can NOT work until you got your work permit which is 6 months after your application had been accepted (if your asylum is still pending) or earlier if your asylum got approved.
Most likely they won't find out that you worked,
and I heard in some cases, the immigration judge (if you were referred to immigration judge) might let you go for humanity reason,
but if you had enough money then it is best to follow the rule and do not work until you got a work permit or your asylum approve (which one came first).
Good Luck.

The law say you can NOT work until you got your work permit which is 6 months after your application had been accepted (if your asylum is still pending) or earlier if your asylum got approved.
Most likely they won't find out that you worked,
and I heard in some cases, the immigration judge (if you were referred to immigration judge) might let you go for humanity reason,
but if you had enough money then it is best to follow the rule and do not work until you got a work permit or your asylum approve (which one came first).
Good Luck.

Thank you for that MWDW. I am fast running out of my resources to sustain life here and am seriously thinking of taking the chance and finding work, lest I become homeless.