Working Remotely From Canada, TN Permit Required?

nellytech

Hi everyone,

I recently began work at a new company however I am working remotely from home in Canada. They used my SSN from my previous job in the US to verify everything and direct deposit is set up with my Wells Fargo account. My question is, am I out of status since I have not filed for a new TN visa yet? My understanding is that unless I am working physically on US soil, I do not require a new TN Visa but I could be wrong.

My plan at the moment is to continue working from home in Canada until our US office opens in January 2022. At that point, I will have to relocate and apply for a new TN Permit. I just want to make sure I am not out of status for the time being, and me working remotely from Canada isn't an issue.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you.

You do not need a TN to work from Canada. You do need to be set up on a Cdn payroll however, since you both live and work in canada. It would not be a bad idea to get the TN before relocating just to make sure all the i's are dotted, etc.

So far my company has begun payroll with my US bank account, however, I can ask to see if they can switch it.
The company lawyer said there would be roughly a 2 week turnaround time for the TN letter and package, you're right it is better to get it earlier anyway.

I just hope the payroll situation to my US account won't be an issue in the next 2-3 weeks until I receive my TN package from the company lawyer.

It is often an issue. US firms can't simply hire CDn workers in Canada without adhering to the same rules Cdn employers must follow.