Working remotely for a company outside US while on student F1 visa

aliciadsouza

Hello

I have a question regarding working remotely for a non-US company while on F1 student status

I have an offer from my company to work for them remotely , such that my work does not disrupt my course schedule. My Co does not have any presence in the US and we do not have any clients there either. I would be paid in the local currency here on a monthly basis - an amount that cover all my expenses including tuition fees.

I have joined school yet, but will begin this Fall and I'm in the process of applying for a F1 student visa.

I haven't taken this offer up yet, and would like to know the legal implications first. I do not want to be on the wrong side of the law and risk getting deported. I know I am not allowed to work in the US while on a F1 visa status, but is working remotely (doing engineering / development work) legal?

Thanks
Alicia

Students on F1 visas have limited employment opportunities. The one you describe is not legally authorized. It does not matter where the company is located or where you will be paid; all that matters is that youa re living in the US and supposedly going to school.

What makes you think you will have time for a full time job? The rule of thumb for US students is that for every hour you are in class, you should expect to spend 3 hours outside of class in preparation, As an international student, you should expect to spend more time that the typical US educated student.

You will be required to prove you have sufficient assets for your program before you receive an I20 and visa. Your comment that you would work to have finances for the program makes me believe that you do not have adequate funding.

Thank you for your response, however your assumption that I do not have adequate funding is incorrect.

To set the record straight, I'd like to clarify that I have enough in bank savings of my own (courtesy employment for 5 years) to support myself completely for the first year of my studies, in fact a little more than the I-20 amount required for a year in my university. For the second year I would need my parents to fund me, a scenario which I would like to avoid if possible.

I have already received my I-20 document in hand and am in the process of preparing for the visa interview.

In any case, I checked the feasibility of remote employment with my university as well, and like you rightly pointed out, I'd have to remain within the limitations of F1 student and the remote job would not be authorized. That's fine, I checked from multiple sources only to make sure that I don't risk being on the wrong side of the law.

Thanks for your advice.

Many people post expecting to be able to earn enough through the year to be able to pay tuition and living expenses. This is not possible.

Once you arrive, the DSO will likely have information sessions describing what work opportunities are available to you depending on your program. It is possible that on campus employment may be available. In addition, some programs have a CPT component which will allow you to work in a situation that is part of your degree program. Check with your major department to determine if that is an option available to you.

You will also be able to save money based on your living arrangements and life style choices which will reduce your second year support requirements. Check the basis of your university's calculation of living expenses so that you can determine prior to your arrival what you can downsize. Assuming you are single, be sure to see if the school has a roommate matching arrangement as sharing an apartment can be a significant cost savings.