Working out of the USA with GreenCard

Alpm

Registered Users (C)
Is there anyone know that if one works abroad for an USA company what sort of process the one should follow? Would that cause a problem for the Green card holder? I have combed the immigration website but could not find something helpful.

Thanks..

U.S. law only requires employment authorization for aliens working in USA. The CIS doesn't care if you work abroad, but the IRS does, as you're supposed to report that income in your tax return.

so as long as I report the income tax which will be reported by the company i work with, every thing will be alright then ? thanks..

The CIS doesn't care if you work abroad, but the IRS does, as you're supposed to report that income in your tax return.

USCIS cares about whether you work abroad; working abroad could cause denial of naturalization or even loss of the green card, depending on the nature of the work arrangement.

Is there anyone know that if one works abroad for an USA company what sort of process the one should follow? Would that cause a problem for the Green card holder?

If you anticipate possibly being abroad for a year or more, apply for a reentry permit to preserve your green card.

If you're interested in applying for citizenship in the future, and your time abroad will be longer than 6 months, apply for N-470 (if you're eligible) to preserve your continuous residence for naturalization purposes.

USCIS cares about whether you work abroad; working abroad could cause denial of naturalization or even loss of the green card, depending on the nature of the work arrangement.

Ah, they care about the absence from USA, true. Whether the absence is related to work, vacation or family matters, they don't care.

Ah, they care about the absence from USA, true. Whether the absence is related to work, vacation or family matters, they don't care.

They actually do care whether the absence abroad is for work. Employment abroad (particularly for a non-US company) is an indicator that one's primary country of residence is/was the foreign country where you were employed.

http://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartD-Chapter3.html
1. Absence of More than Six Months (but Less than One Year)

An absence of more than six months (more than 181 days but less than one year (less than 365 days)) during the period for which continuous residence is required is presumed to break the continuity of such residence. This includes any absence that takes place prior to filing the naturalization application or between filing and the applicant’s admission to citizenship.[10]

An applicant’s intent is not relevant in determining the location of his or her residence. The period of absence from the United States is the defining factor in determining whether the applicant is presumed to have disrupted his or her residence.

An applicant may overcome the presumption of loss of his or her continuity of residence by providing evidence to establish that the applicant did not disrupt his or her residence. The evidence may include, but is not limited to, documentation that during the absence:[11]

The applicant did not terminate his or her employment in the United States or obtain employment while abroad.

The applicant’s immediate family remained in the United States.

The applicant retained full access to his or her United States abode.

Interesting. I have worked abroad, but my salary during the stint was paid directly by a US company located in USA deposited into my US bank account. Would that be classified as foreign employment for the purpose of residency? When I read the OP's case, I assume he asks because his US company is considering a temporary placement for him abroad.

Regardless of being paid by a US company, absence of more than 6 months would indeed be problematic, and more than a year would necessitate a re-entry permit.

Interesting. I have worked abroad, but my salary during the stint was paid directly by a US company located in USA deposited into my US bank account. Would that be classified as foreign employment for the purpose of residency? When I read the OP's case, I assume he asks because his US company is considering a temporary placement for him abroad.

Regardless of being paid by a US company, absence of more than 6 months would indeed be problematic, and more than a year would necessitate a re-entry permit.

That is what I wanted to ask...Working abroad with a usa based company...

I think it would be causing a problem...

Interesting. I have worked abroad, but my salary during the stint was paid directly by a US company located in USA deposited into my US bank account. Would that be classified as foreign employment for the purpose of residency?
Probably not. And such employment may qualify the applicant for N-470 which would protect their continuous residence while working abroad for more than 6 months.