working on EAD + ITIN.

hangup

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys,
maybe someone already tried this :)
so here is the story:
I came here on H1 (like most of you guys :)
Wife got H4. She was not eligible to get SSN so she got ITIN instead.
ITIN was used to file taxes and other purposes.
Now we got EADs.
My wife is looking forward to applying for a job.
She already applied for SSN but it will take at least 60 days . . . she was told that documents have to go to the INS first vor verification (?!), then come back, then probably get lost, etc, etc. Her previous experience with the IRS was not the best . . . it took about 6 months to get ITIN :(

Form I-9 says that if you have EAD everything is OK and you don\'t need to present SS card . . . So . . . my question is:
Suppose she starts working on Jan 1st with ITIN.
Later on she gets her SSN and by the time we file taxes for 2002 we\'ll do everything with the SSN, not ITIN.
Do you guys have any experience with using ITIN like this?
Do you think she can work with ITIN at all?
Will it be a problem with having two numbers at the same time? :)
Well, she is going to have two numbers anyway . . . I can imagine what we\'ll have to go thru while filing taxes after that :)
but what the heck . . . when she waited 6 months for ITIN we filied jointly and she didn\'t have ITIN yet. a couple of letters to the IRS advocates + a visit to the IRS and we were all set. As a matter of fact, IRS guys are very nice in person (comparing to the INS folks for example :)
but not on the phone and certainly not by mail . . .

Anyone have any experience? Any thoughts? Any speculations? :)

Thanks in advance!

no problem

60 days to get a ss#. Where in Gods name do you live Idaho?
In California they tell you 15 days but you usually get it in 7-9 days in the case of my wife. The first year we filed a joint return with her ITIN and after she received her ss# we have been using that. Its no problem, they can link it all up anyway. Good luck

thanks!

no, it\'s actually boston area, not idaho :)
reason is:
we came on H1+H4.
Then H1 was transferred.
Now old H1&H4 (passport stamp) is expired.
we showed all new approvals+receipts+EAD+etc, but it still didn\'t work.
SSA clerk said "computer says i need secondary verification from the INS. I\'ll mail them the request, they\'ll reply, then we\'ll issue you a number. it may take 60 days".
that\'s how it happened.
We already filed tax returns with ITIN.
I\'m only wondering about her accepting employment with ITIN.
but it looks like the receipt from SSA is good enough.

My wife went to JFK building to apply ITIN and received it after 1 hour.

BTW, where did you file your SSN?

in SSA office.

there is SSA office locator somewhere on the web (by zip code)

the problem with ITIN was different . . .
she initially applied in Detroit IRS and then moved to Boston area and never got her ITIN . . .
then we started calling . . .
no results.
then we got ahold of the IRS advocacy. they helped.
then we got to JFK and she received her ITIN.
the entire process took more than 6 months and I had to file for extension . . .

I was gone thr\' same - Same boat

Hi,
 I was gone thro\' same. When I was applying for wife\'s SSN, Socical security admin told me that they have to verify with INS and will take about 2 months to get SSN. But, Actaully, it took 5 weeks to get my wife\'s SSN.
It\'s always better to have a clean record (SSN) before going to work, because nobody knows the law and don\'t wanna take risk espacially after 9/11.

Plz post your response....

No Title

I have same situation. we have been waiting since 2 months to get SSN. SSA office says, they are wating for a response from INS. Earlier SSN was not valid for work and surrendered to to get the new one. But, my wife started working. The employer says( wholesale store), it is ok to work.

thanks guys!

Thank you guys for posting your experiences!
I\'ll post mine once my wife gets her SSN :)

My wife got her EAD.

I have a question here.
My wife got her EAD last week. She is doing Masters in Computer science and would complete her course in May, 2002. But she wants to start looking for job next month. now my question is should she apply her SSN after getting the job or she can apply now.
Thanks in advance.

It takes a few days to get the cards...

She can apply the Social Security Card anytime.

I thought students were allowed to apply SSN? Am I wrong?

She is still having H-4 Visa.

Stuckwith is correct. But if she apply for SSN, would she be on H4 visa or EAD.
Thanks