Working in India after getting GC

JustWantedToKno

I know this is a very basic question. But would anyone like to answer it.
I wanted to know that once I get GC, will it be possible to work in India after that. What are the requirements to maintain GC while staying in India?

Regards,
Amit

JustWantedToKno said:
I wanted to know that once I get GC, will it be possible to work in India after that. What are the requirements to maintain GC while staying in India?
Regards,
Amit

You can't do that. In order to maintain the GC status you must maintain your primary place of residence and employment in the U.S.
Any trips abroad must be temporary in nature (e.g. visiting family and friends, taking a vacation, a business trip, a temporary oversees job assignment by a U.S. employer, etc).

If you take a job abroad, you loose your GC status.

And just in case you heard this rumour, no it is absolutely not enough to visit the U.S. for a few days every 6 months (or every three months, etc) to maintain a GC status. You must actually work and live here.

See the official explanation of the law at the USCIS site:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/PermRes.htm

Is that true even with a re-entry permit.I do agree that residency, taxes etc have to be maintained, but what you do when you are abroad - why should that matter and why should anyone need to know.

Rgds,

Yeppo

JustWantedToKno said:

Regards,
Amit
Just curious, you must have gone thru a exhaustive, long, expensive process to get ur GC in which you must have made a lot of sacrifices, (which I assume is for the purpose of being able to work in US permanently, or for a long time), why do you want to risk that GC?
Please no offence intended, just my naive curosity.

Not everyone gets a GC for the same reasons. I know a lot of people do it so that they can have a flexiblity in choosing employers. Whether that is right or wrong is again debatable and everyone has their own view. I too got the GC after a lot of trouble. But honestly there are things which are more important for which I could give it up in a wink and walk and never look back.

Rgds,

Yeppo

my 0.02$

you need to be on payroll of US based-company and then u can show u r on work assignment abroad India/UK etc

JustWantedToKno said:
What are the kind of risks and sacrifices are we talking about while getting GC. I haven't got it yet.. but am planning to go for it..
my 2 cents

1. Cannot change employer till you reach I-485 stage (AC21 provisions)
2. Employer able to take advantage of the fact that you cannot leave
3. Marriage has to happen before your GC gets approved
4. Cannot move to a different city or state (especially if it out of the juridiction of the center processing your information)
5. If your 6 years of H1 get over before your GC gets approved, then need AP and EAD to travel and work
6. Getting obsessed with the visa bulletin (in case you are from a country and a category that is not current)

I am sure others can add more.

Is it the right place to ask about naturalization.. How long does that process take? Once u are a US citizen(after naturalization), does US laws have dual citizenship funda?