Work while waiting for renewal EAD

EricNeesGC

Registered Users (C)
Call me a procrastinator or habitually lazy person but I filed for my EAD on November 22nd, 2005 knowing that my current EAD expires on Feburary 9th, 2006. I knew that I had to file my EAD 90 days prior to expiration date and got everything ready in time but just kept delaying the e-file. Anyway, now that my EAD is not approved, I am worried about legality of my work status.

I called the customer service twice to ask if I can work while my application for renewal EAD is pending. The first lady told me that I can and just have to show my notice of receipt to my current employer. The second time around (you know you have to call them twice to verify the response from the first one) I got a vague answer. She said that her instructions says that only asylees can work while their application is pending and she cannot tell me anything beyond that (yeah she was a robot :))

Well, I took an infopass appointment for an interim EAD and went to the Dallas DO. I was not even allowed to get in. The guy at the appointment window turned me away by saying that I need to come back on Feburary 22nd 2006 if my application is not approved. When I asked him if I can work, he said that if your employer does not mind, you can.

I am not planning to tell my employer that my EAD will expire on the 9th (or should I?) I am sure we can work out a deal with him and I can work from home, however, do you know if its true that for renewal EADs you can work if your EAD is not approved but your current EAD has expired?

Thanks

Alright guys...5 days...30 views but no replys? I am sure someone has gone through this same situation. My EAD expires in 2 days :)

Ok...here is an update on my case. I am sorry I forgot to update you all earlier.

I got my renewal EAD filed electronically in the mail on February 17th. Total processing time was 80 days. My previous EAD expired on February 9th. As suggested by the USCIS CSR on two different occassions, I kept on working after my EAD expired. The new EAD I recieved has the start date of February 9th, 2006. Therefore, I technically did not work out of status. Now I am not sure if my visit on the 2nd prompted them to issue me a new card or there were other elements involved.

Thanks

EricNeesGC said:
Ok...here is an update on my case. I am sorry I forgot to update you all earlier.

I got my renewal EAD filed electronically in the mail on February 17th. Total processing time was 80 days. My previous EAD expired on February 9th. As suggested by the USCIS CSR on two different occassions, I kept on working after my EAD expired. The new EAD I recieved has the start date of February 9th, 2006. Therefore, I technically did not work out of status. Now I am not sure if my visit on the 2nd prompted them to issue me a new card or there were other elements involved.

Thanks
Did you had to do the FP again? How long did it took you to get the Fingerprint notice after filing?

amishah said:
Did you had to do the FP again? How long did it took you to get the Fingerprint notice after filing?
Yes, I had to do the FP again. I did the e-file so I got the FP notice right when I hit submit button on the application. I had to print the notice and call ASC. I called and got the appointment for the next day.

Oh almost forgot...my LUD never changed online. It still says that your application for EAD was recieved.......it takes 30 - 90 days.....

Oh well...I have my EAD so I don't think I am going to worry about the online status. It's not right anyways.