work outside U.S. during Adjustment of Status

yfehgh

Registered Users (C)
during the adjustment of status stage, can we work outside US for a short period (say,up to 6 months)? can we apply for an AP based on this reason?

yfehgh said:
during the adjustment of status stage, can we work outside US for a short period (say,up to 6 months)? can we apply for an AP based on this reason?

You sure can. GC is for future employment. There are lots of people who do consular processing and they have never worked for their sponsor until AFTER the GC. Of course, if you (your employer) get RFE, you will need to convince USCIS that a bonefide future job exists.

agree with jllag1. However, you do not need this reason to be mentioned in AP application. Just say "various short visits" - no explanation. Also, make sure you have a valid AP BEFORE you leave US.

- ab

can you apply for AP without specifying reasons (you suggested "various short visits")? have you seen AP approved like this? also, have you seen people who are in AOS in the US work overseas and then come back on AP smoothly? thanks for sharing.

can you apply for AP without specifying reasons (you suggested "various short visits")? have you seen AP approved like this?

----> Yes. This is standard terminology used by most lawyers. I have applied for 3 APs since last 3 yrs using 2 different lawyers, all with same stuff. In date of intended departure - write "undetermined", in expected length of stay- write "various short trips". I also include a cover letter summarizing that I need AP for personal multiple short visits abroad, and include a list of documents that I am sending with the application.

also, have you seen people who are in AOS in the US work overseas and then come back on AP smoothly? thanks for sharing.[/QUOTE]

----> I worked for a 2-3 months outside and came back smoothly. You should talk to your lawyer though if you intend to be out of 6+ months.