Work on B1 until L2 work permit arrives?

Deeptee15

After L2 work permit (EAD) application has been submitted that is under processing, is it possible to start work on B1 in the interim until EAD is received?

How are you going to handle your status issue ? If you are on L2 you have to change to B, and, later, you have to change to L2 again.. And while status change is pending, you can not work.
Do you want to go through that ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Work on B1 until L2 work permit arrives

Wondering if its possible to go out of the country and re-enter on B1 and do the same thing again to revert to L2 when EAD arrives. However, I do not want my EAD processing to get affected/ delayed in any way if my status changes to B1. Just taking a check if it is a viable solution?

Essentially, i have a job at hand from a prospective employer but the work permit is still under processing. EAD has been under processing for 4 weeks already, and I am not sure how much more time it will take. I may miss this job opportunity if EAD takes too long.

The thing is B1 holder can not work in the US. B1 is more like for business trip or such kind of purpose and no employment is allowed. Basically, you need to wait for EAD to start working.

http://tokyo.usembassy.gov/e/visa/tvisa-niv-b1b2faq.html#faq2

What is/What activities are covered by the B-1 visa?

The holder of a B-1 visa, or a person traveling for business without a visa under the Visa Waiver Pilot Program, may undertake any one of the following activities: attend business or professional conferences or conventions; consult with business associates; negotiate contracts; purchase goods or materials; appear as a witness in court trials, or undertake independent research. Travelers who enter the U.S. under the B-1 classification may not perform productive work or accept paid or unpaid employment.

Last edited by a moderator:
You may get iEAD if EAD application has been pending 90 days. Please search iEAD on this forum or google.

My husband is an L1 visa holder currently working in the US.
I'm currently employee of a non-US based company, and have both L2 and B1/B2 visas.
I'd be joining him and apply for an EAD based on my L2 visa (I already have a verbal offer), but would work for my current company untill I get the EAD, based on my B1/B2 visa.
What would be the best process to follow?
Should I apply for EAD, then leave the country and go back with my B1/B2 until I get the EAD?
If I leave the US, does it affect my EAD application?
If I re-enter the US with a B1/B2 visa, does it affect my EAD application?

Is there anything I or the US company can do to speed up the EAD application process?

Thanks