• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Work Experience Requirement Question

xander_bruce

Over the last 3 years I have worked 3 different jobs, each for a year at a time. All 3 of these jobs qualify on O-Net as Zone 4 SVP 7-8. I intend to prepare a work experience case as a fallback to my high school education case.

My question is: do we know if it matters that my "2 years work experience" is not sourced from a single job and instead across multiple workplaces?

Is it the same job title across multiple organisations or is it 3 different jobs?

I believe it needs to be the same job.

I used work experience for my visa, it was the same job title (IT Project Manager) across multiple organisations for the past 10 years.

I believe it needs to be the same job.

I used work experience for my visa, it was the same job title (IT Project Manager) across multiple organisations for the past 10 years.

I don't think that's right? If you get for example promoted from one qualifying level to a higher one, that can't possibly be grounds for disqualification. My understanding, perhaps limited, is that as long as you've spent at least 2 years doing qualifying jobs you're ok. Maybe @Britsimon has a clarifying opinion?

@xander_bruce did you get any clarification on how your high school stacks up vs the requirements?

In the official “documents required” list on travel.state.gov it states:

“EVIDENCE OF REQUIRED EDUCATION OR WORK EXPERIENCE - The principal applicant must submit a certified copy of school diploma confirming successful completion of secondary or higher education”

The “or hogher education” leads me to believe evidence of a bachelors degree should suffice.

I don't think that's right? If you get for example promoted from one qualifying level to a higher one, that can't possibly be grounds for disqualification. My understanding, perhaps limited, is that as long as you've spent at least 2 years doing qualifying jobs you're ok. Maybe @Britsimon has a clarifying opinion?

@xander_bruce did you get any clarification on how your high school stacks up vs the requirements?

Thanks Susie.

No it does NOT need to be the same job. It is a minimum 2 years total experience (at the correct level) over the last 5 years (counted at interview). The only "problem" that the job changes will bring is that each role may need to be evaluated independently against an O*Net description.

Having said that, obvious career progression within an industry will give comfort anyway, so it might not be too hard to prove.

“EVIDENCE OF REQUIRED EDUCATION OR WORK EXPERIENCE - The principal applicant must submit a certified copy of school diploma confirming successful completion of secondary or higher education”

The “or hogher education” leads me to believe evidence of a bachelors degree should suffice.

On that, be careful. The rule was clarified to use the word "at least" in the last couple of years. A CO could easily be concerned about HS results meeting a requirement, even if a higher degree is presented. If you don't have clear HS results, its best to go armed with the source of the quote you mentioned or the 9 Fam notes.

Yup - as per previous discussion. May have made more sense to keep it all in one thread so people can follow.

Thanks Susie.

No it does NOT need to be the same job. It is a minimum 2 years total experience (at the correct level) over the last 5 years (counted at interview). The only "problem" that the job changes will bring is that each role may need to be evaluated independently against an O*Net description.

Having said that, obvious career progression within an industry will give comfort anyway, so it might not be too hard to prove.
Thanks for correcting me and the clarification - it makes sense that natural career progression would count towards the two years total. I guess I was looking at it from different careers, say 1 year as a hairdresser and 1 year as a computer programmer, do you think this would still be accepted?

Thanks for correcting me and the clarification - it makes sense that natural career progression would count towards the two years total. I guess I was looking at it from different careers, say 1 year as a hairdresser and 1 year as a computer programmer, do you think this would still be accepted?

No - because the period of time spent as a hairdresser does not meet the level required. So in your example only the time spent as a computer programmer would be counted.

As simon says, a hairdresser is not the required level. But if you spent say a year as a management analyst and a year as a programmer, that would. Many people jump across careers at some stage. (3 in 3 years is very millenial, but hey, around here it's not that unusual.)

That makes me wonder, off topic, does Australia still allow hairdressers in on skilled work visas? I remember a few years back in the city I used to live in, there was a steady stream of hairdressers moving down under. It always seemed really weird to me...

That makes me wonder, off topic, does Australia still allow hairdressers in on skilled work visas? I remember a few years back in the city I used to live in, there was a steady stream of hairdressers moving down under. It always seemed really weird to me...

It was an extreme need.

article-2120021-03DC5F13000005DC-47_468x638.jpg

As far as I'm aware Hairdresser is on the "skilled workers" list for Australia

@Britsimon I believe Jason required more time than Kylie did with the hairdresser :cool: