work authorization for H4 visas ??

eb2dec

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone, I had a couple of questions.
I heard that there has been a new law passed recently which legally allows an H4 visa holder to work without applying for an H1 . Is that true ? can someone please confirm ?
Also I was wondering, if a person was on an H1 and then temporarily gets on an H4 and then gets an H1 again.. does this H1 come off of the yearly govt quota or does the quota not apply in this case since the H1 was already granted before ?
thanks

Originally posted by eb2dec
Hi everyone, I had a couple of questions.
I heard that there has been a new law passed recently which legally allows an H4 visa holder to work without applying for an H1 . Is that true ? can someone please confirm ?
Also I was wondering, if a person was on an H1 and then temporarily gets on an H4 and then gets an H1 again.. does this H1 come off of the yearly govt quota or does the quota not apply in this case since the H1 was already granted before ?
thanks

Rumors, totally false. No plans to give H4 holders work authorization. No such law has been passed or is pending in congress.

You use up H1 from the annual quota if it is a new H1 OR if it is a Change of Status to H1 from any other non-H1 status (including H4). Therefore, if you change from H1 to H4 and back to H1, you will be counted against the quota. Changing from H1 to H1 is an Extension of Status and does not count against the annual quota.

spouses of L1 visa holders might be able to work but your information about H4 being able to work without H1 is totally baseless