Work abroad after 3 years in US with GC? two years later will try to be US citizenship??

hyoonx

At the end of this month, I have been living in US for three years as a legal permanent resident with a green card. I have never traveled outside US for three years.

Now due to my employment, I need to work abroad about 3-4 years. Definitely I will apply to “Re-Entry Permit” and also apply to “N-470”, but I am not sure I will get N-470 approval, yet, because my company is not fully US firm.

Thus assume only I get Re-Entry Permit approved for two years. With that, I plan to do
1) Nov 2010 ~ Sep 2011 Work abroad outside US (11 Months)
2) Oct 2011 come back US to stay 2 weeks in my home address.
3) Nov 2011 ~ July 31, 2012 work abroad outside US (9Months)
4) August 1, 2012 come back US to apply US Citizenship (because it will be total 4 years 9 months qualified duration for US citizenship)
5) Stay three weeks – do apply to US Citizenship and Fingerprint
6) Then go back travel outside to work abroad (because as I mentioned above, my assignment will be 3-4 years)
7) Then come back for Citizenship interview required.

During the periods, definitely I will maintain my house under my name, keep paying mortgage, bank account and so on. The most important thing is my paychecks will be deposit into my US bank account.

Does this plan make sense to be US citizen two years later?
I guess there is no problem because I already stayed in US for three years after GC and I will maintain continuous residency because I plan to revisit US less than 1 year time frame. Please advise me regarding my plan. Thanks.

It sounds like your employer is in some way a US employer. They should have an attorney advising you and making proper arrangements on your behalf.

I will, but this job is a new offer. Thus before I say yes, I want to make sure everything by myself. Then I will accept a new offer and ask the company to take care of me. For now, I have to make sure it before final acceptance. Thanks anyway.

My understanding is, once you stay out of the US for 6 months or more, you break the residency rule. So, in your case, you can apply for USC five years after you are done with your 6+ months of stay outside the US.

For eg, you will be back to US by 7/2012; add five years from this date and apply for Citizenship, provided you don't do 6+ months trip outside the US.

The Re-entry permit allows you to retain your GC even when you travel outside of the US for 6+ months.

Good luck
howdy_howdy
//

It all hinges on your N-470. If you don't get it approved, denial of your citizenship application is very likely based on your travel plans.

If you get the N-470 approved, you should easily get citizenship if you apply in 2012 or early 2013. If you delay your application longer than that, you would accumulate more time outside the US to the point where you violate the physical presence requirement.

My understanding is, once you stay out of the US for 6 months or more, you break the residency rule. So, in your case, you can apply for USC five years after you are done with your 6+ months of stay outside the US.

The OP is applying for N-470. If it is approved, there would be no need to worry about that 6 month rule for the duration covered by the validity of the N-470.