With Visa best for writing.

Danial23

Which Visa best for going to LA as tv-writer

Hello , I had a question. I’m a Dutch citizen. I want to go to LA to show my writing work to agents to see if one will sponsor me. Should I do that with a visa waiver or a B1/B2, and also can you write with a B2 visa. And I also wanted to know , is there any kind visa for freelance writers?

Kind Regards,

Danial

Last edited by a moderator:
What type of "writing" are you talking about? Freelance journalist? Fiction? Non-fiction travel guide for PBS? Screenwriting-made-for-tv-movies? What? What source of income are you contemplating? Pay per article/episode? An advance to write a treatment or script? Staff writer on salary on a sitcom or soap?

Different situations have different possibilities. However, unless you are at the very top of your field, your chances are slim to get any visa to work in the U.S. in this occupation. At best it might fall into EB-3 "Other Worker" category for a greencard but there is a HUGE wait for such a visa.

B-1 for a business trip to secure a contract to produce a work (fiction or non-fiction). A media journalist uses an I visa.

INA 101(a)(15)

(B) an alien (other than one coming for the purpose of study or of performing skilled or unskilled labor or as a representative of foreign press, radio, film, or other foreign information media coming to engage in such vocation) having a residence in a foreign country which he has no intention of abandoning and who is visiting the United States temporarily for business or temporarily for pleasure;
[This might be your best bet.]

(I) upon a basis of reciprocity, an alien who is a bona fide representative of foreign press, radio, film, or other foreign information media, who seeks to enter the United States solely to engage in such vocation, and the spouse and children of such a representative if accompanying or following to join him;
[This does not seem to fit your situation.]

And then there are certain academic possibilities for those who qualify.

The non-immigrant O visa is for Outstanding Achievement and probably not applicable. [Unless you've written the next "Harry Potter" like novel...]

TV writer does not qualify for an H1-B visa as a "specialty occupation" becuase it does not require any specific academic degree.