With the hopes dead due to numerous traffic tickets

Dominican

Registered Users (C)
Reading this forum I have discovered something that makes me incompatible with current requirements to gain citizenship. I have a long record of traffic tickets, including several suspensions (at least about 15) in the last five years, some because of unpaid tickets on time and others for not responding on time to the offenses I've had. I have been convicted of at least four tickets (two for driving while talking on a cell), one for speeding and another for a red light. View the presentations of several people whose applications were rejected by less than this, my breath is gone. I had high hopes and even had ruled that the traffic problems affecting me, by a friend, with more than one arrest and also a history full of traffic fines, obtained citizenship without further mishaps 2 years ago. It seems that things have changed substantially over the past two years. I entrust myself to God, but to help him, and met all the dispositions of the citys where I was fined. I will carry that with me ... in the form stay that yes I was arrested and convicted, but I did in relation to a case of arrest (the only one I had) just for driving with a suspended license). Annex the decisions made by the judge in the application, but did not mention the long string of tickets that I have above.

What do you think ...? I have two cards and rules of good behavior today met both the County where I live in New York as my city police stating that I have no criminal record and that I am a person of good character. .. is that enough or should I also bring the abstract of the department of Motor vehicles with all the cases drag ... please tell me something, I'm really worried after reading this of tickets is being taken as a parameter .

In my favor I have like 5 scrolls of recognition that has given me the Town Hall where I live and also the county, declaring honorable person. I am a journalist, and I have made these awards hereunder. You think prudent to take these scrolls and show the immigration officer ... would not bring that petulance by the hair ... I think he does it in some way helps sharpen my moral conduct undoubtedly impaired by the issue of tickets ...

Well, would appreciate a calibrated opinion on all these points.

Thank you very much in advance for the courtesy of reading to get up here and for your response.

You can not predict how it is going to go. Yes, awards and character certificates are positive evidence, but they will NOT discount the other issues if the IO feels like making them an issue.
Omitting 1 or 2 tickets does not sound big, but listing 1 when you have 15 or more. If the IO sees it, he/she has the right to think twice. Best of luck.

I have a long record of traffic tickets, including several suspensions (at least about 15) in the last five years, some because of unpaid tickets on time and others for not responding on time to the offenses
In your initial thread you only mentioned one traffic ticket, but now you mentioned 15???

A friend obtained his citizenship having 23 driving tickets and six arrests

Greetings and sincere thanks for taking the time to read my topics. Going to a particular item, not actually omitted the issue of traffic tickets in my first post intentionally. No detail under this part that he saw no need to quote each and every one of my tickets that engulfed an arrest and did not exceed 500 dollars, thanks to provisions in the same application. Well, here's the thing: I've seen all that has been aired in this forum on issues denied by processes traffic. However, here the case of a friend who initiate contact today after a long time without talking to him, and to express my frustration about my attempt at becoming a citizen. He told me wait a moment: and who told you such nonsense ...? and immediate way to tell his personal experience five months ago in New Jersey: the toric site of Marathon has six arrests for traffic issues in the last five years, as well as A total of 13 suspensions for failing to pay their tickets on time or no show, and the sum total of their tickets is 23 in the last 5 years ... and that you think before a criminal record as bad as that?? The judge examined him said verbatim, with its concern that traffic issues had no value in your decision, and said not only that, but approved it right there, and that afternoon was formally sworn in citizen ... What happened in that case ... well, that each situation is individual, but I understand that in this, it is assumed, there prevails a general rule, every time this issue is federal (national) and in all States of the union are governed by the same parameters. This case seems to detract from all the exhibitions I've seen here on the issue of tickets and traffic.

As for what to report all situations, he says he will not mention each of those tickets, and merely show the dispositions of each of the courts, but not command in the original form the detailed relationship of these tickets but took them in a folder preventing any question about it. I hope that this experience be of some who are desperate for traffic issues and other tickets.

In light of this case, my recommendation, and is what I received is as follows: put if not signposted have been cited, arrested by any law enforcement officer and if convicted are also matching if but do not go into detail of each ticket shredded (unless there is an arrest) and take on record the disposition of each of the tickets in each county where you received it, if the officer asks you to respond with total sincerity and eventually submit such evidence as proof that you are not ignoring that part, and therefore respectfully has collected each of the provisions and has led to the interview. To that they annex, which has to be all-important when you have this type of situation, take the letter of good conduct of both the County stating that there is no record against him in the last ten years, and one of the local police where you live stipulating their good behavior. Well, until here for now and thanks repeatedly.

Question 16 in part 10D of N-400 specifically asks: "Have you ever been arrested, cited, or detained by any law enforcement officer (including USCIS or former INS and military officers) for any reason?" A traffic ticket does qualify as a citation by a law enforcement officer. There is a table below Question 21 which asks for details about EACH instance when you were arrested, cited or detained: "If you answered "Yes" to any of Questions 15 through 21, complete the following table. If you need more space, use a separate sheet of paper to give the same information." You must disclose all your traffic tickets there, regardless of the size of the fine. Instructions to N-400 say that for tickets where a fine was under $500 documentation of their disposition does not need to be provided, but all traffic tickets, including those with a fine under $500 must be disclosed nonetheless. You must disclose them in the original N-400 and, if you have not done so, you must disclose them during the interview.
Failure to do so may be viewed as immigration fraud and may cause your naturalization to be revoked later.

With over 15 license suspensions, an arrest and a misdemeanor conviction, all within the 5 year statutory period preceding filing of N-400, there is a good chance (in my opinion, more than a 50% chance) that your application will be denied on the grounds of lack of good moral character. You might want to bring a lawyer with you to the interview.

Also, based on your posts, I think you may have a problem with passing the English test part of the interview. If you have time to do something about this before the interview, that may be a good idea. Most community colleges offers inexpensive English courses, as do various immigrant support organizations.

Baikal3, thanks for your advice. I don't think i need any english teacher. As spanish is my first language, I just translated my comments in google from spanish to english. That way i thought was easier for a long explanation. About the traffic tickets, again, i just told the exprience from my friend who recently became US Citizen in Newark, NJ. I based my respond on that. It looks very clear that in some situations they pay attention to that matter, when they really want to deny you the citizenship, but not pay any attention to that when they're in good humor and want to help. That's the exctly case of my friend.

Saw some cases before of people don't even speak any english that pass the test with no problem. My english is not perfect, but isn't the worst either. This respond wasn't using google.

About the traffic tickets, again, i just told the exprience from my friend who recently became US Citizen in Newark, NJ.
Did your friend disclose all the traffic tickets on his application? You can't predict the outcome of your application based on your friend's results.

He just put the arrests in the N-400

No, he didn't. He just put the arrests in the N-400 Form, but not the complete details for all traffic tickets and citations. Of course, he got the dispositions for each one in a folder, just in case, but when they one to the arrests matter, he told the IO all his situations with traffic and she told him: "Small traffic tickets don't count here. Don't worry, i will not deny your citizenship based on that". I'm clear each situation is different but this particular case shows the traffic tickets not neccesarilly, like some people argue here, afect the desicition from USCIS. This is opossite to all what i have read here about this point.

I am a journalist, and I have made these awards hereunder.

As spanish is my first language, I just translated my comments in google from spanish to english.

Are you a spanish journalist?

Regarding your main question - if I were you, I woul definitely hire a lawyer. And I would probably wait a little - 1-2 years, without any tickets at all, and only then file N400 application.

(My own English is not perfect, but I am not a journalist in English speaking country. Some of your statements sound at least strange, sorry...)

Good luck anyway.

I'm spanish journalist

I'm the publisher of a monthly spanish magazine circulating in NY, NJ AND CT. I never said i work for an english media. Plus, i also have 2 TV shows in New York City (Supercanal Caribe 809 Timewarner Cable and Cosmovision La Familia 830). Remember we have a very large spanish population around the country, and not only english journalists find jobs.

Going to the point, i already sent the application and have my FP in June 16. No way to stop the process now. I didn't know about the situation with the traffic tickets until i came to this forum. I asked to an immigration lawyer before submitting the app and he adviced me to put only the arrest, wich i did and sent the court disposition for this incident also. After i learned about the point of the tickets, i went to each county clerk where i got them, and asked for the dispositions where it says that i already paid all of them.

Right now we just have to wait and for sure i will tell you guys my experience after i finish the process. I hope in god everything will be ok, like it happens to my friend with 23 traffic tickets and faced no problem.

Thanks for your comments.

No, he didn't. He just put the arrests in the N-400 Form, but not the complete details for all traffic tickets and citations. Of course, he got the dispositions for each one in a folder, just in case, but when they one to the arrests matter, he told the IO all his situations with traffic and she told him: "Small traffic tickets don't count here. Don't worry, i will not deny your citizenship based on that". I'm clear each situation is different but this particular case shows the traffic tickets not neccesarilly, like some people argue here, afect the desicition from USCIS. This is opossite to all what i have read here about this point.
Did you apply at the same DO as your friend?
There have been some reports in the past of some IOs at the NY DO being very harsh when it comes to traffic tickets, even resulting in denial.

No

My friend went to Newark, NJ. In my case i think i will have to go, unfortunally, to Federal Plaza, in Manhattan NY.

Again, thanks for you comment.

In my own application, I interpreted the question about citations to mean you had to include traffic tickets and so I entered the details of the only traffic ticket (an accident) I had from 12 years ago and for which I had paid the fine but I didn't have any proof of that payment given it had happened so long ago and I lost whatever receipt I had. At the interview, my officer said traffic tickets do not apply to this citation question and she changed my answer on the application to no and also made a note that I had paid the fine. She did not ask for the proof of payment. All in all, different officers seem to interpret this differently and you still have hope. Good luck in your naturalization efforts!

Your problem is beyond simple traffic tickets; you have suspensions, unpaid tickets, an arrest with a criminal conviction. Your chances are not good, although approval is not entirely impossible. You already spent the money to apply, and you're not going to get deported for this, so go to the interview, be honest, and whatever happens will happen. Debating in this forum can't change anything at this point.