Will uscis/cbp Care About Accepting Two Job Offers At The Same Time (Not Working Two Jobs At The Same Time)

adj938

I accepted two job offers, one from Company A and one from Company B. I will work for Company A for 4 months, and then move to Company B. I will be on a tn visa for Company A. When I move to Company B after 4 months, I will either apply for a tn visa transfer through uscis (i129) or leave and enter the us to get a new tn for Company B.

uscis or cbp will be able to tell that I accepted both offers by looking at the date of when I signed the offer letter for Company A and Company B. uscis or cbp will know that I worked for Company A after accepting the offer letter from Company B.

Will this be an issue? Will uscis or cbp care? Will uscis or cbp refuse to give me a new tn visa for Company B because of this? Will uscis or cbp notify Company A or Company B that I accepted both offers?

CBP will not care about how many offers you accepted at a given time. There could be another issue though: CBP will most likely notice the (old) date in your offer letter when you apply for your new TN for Company B. Since the letter would be stale, it could raise the questions regarding the validity of the offer. Get a recent copy of the offer letter when you are ready to apply for TN for company B.

CBP will not care about how many offers you accepted at a given time. There could be another issue though: CBP will most likely notice the (old) date in your offer letter when you apply for your new TN for Company B. Since the letter would be stale, it could raise the questions regarding the validity of the offer. Get a recent copy of the offer letter when you are ready to apply for TN for company B.
When you mention date in the offer letter, exactly which date are you referring to. The offer letter for Company B has two dates, the date it was generated, and the date it was signed.

The date of the TN letter and the date of your application. You do not need to show the offer letter (which is different than the letter that is used with the TN application).

The date of the TN letter and the date of your application. You do not need to show the offer letter (which is different than the letter that is used with the TN application).
Thanks for letting me know. I just wanted to clarify some points just to make sure.

1. The date of the tn letter is the date on the tn visa (if a tn visa is granted).
2. The date of the application is either the date when the i129 is submitted to uscis, or when the tn is applied at the poe through cbp.
3. The offer letter is not included in the tn application, some other letter is.

Are these points correct? Also, if it's easier, I can dm you instead. Thank you so much for your help.

The date of your TN begins the day you show up at the border, regardless of any date on the letter, or application. The expiry date, however, can be less than 3 years if you show up later than your expected start date.

You can get several TNs, but at the time you petition for a TN, the expectation is that you will begin work immediately, so both your petitions need to be viable, not for some vague time in the future.

The date of your TN begins the day you show up at the border, regardless of any date on the letter, or application. The expiry date, however, can be less than 3 years if you show up later than your expected start date.

You can get several TNs, but at the time you petition for a TN, the expectation is that you will begin work immediately, so both your petitions need to be viable, not for some vague time in the future.
I'm not getting 2 tn visas at the same time. I'm worried mostly about uscis or cbp realizing that I accepted both offers at the same time and not giving the new tn for company b, or possibly reporting me to company a or company b for accepting both offers at the same time.

None of those scenarios are in the purview of of CBP or USCIS. They only care about what your present on your I-129 or at the border.

And, as I pointed out: EVEN IF you took both jobs tomorrow, CBP would be fine with it. You can change or add TN jobs every week if you wish, as long as you present good paperwork for each.

And by good paperwork, I mean CURRENT paperwork. CBP will not accept 4 month old letter for a new job. Get a fresh dated letter when you are about to change jobs.

None of those scenarios are in the purview of of CBP or USCIS. They only care about what your present on your I-129 or at the border.

And, as I pointed out: EVEN IF you took both jobs tomorrow, CBP would be fine with it. You can change or add TN jobs every week if you wish, as long as you present good paperwork for each.

And by good paperwork, I mean CURRENT paperwork. CBP will not accept 4 month old letter for a new job. Get a fresh dated letter when you are about to change jobs.
Thanks for your reply.

I'm still a bit confused about the concept of a fresh dated letter. If the letter that is being used in the tn application is the actual offer letter from Company B, then even if I ask for a new offer letter, Company B won't grant it because getting an offer letter with a newer date isn't a valid reason to generate a new offer letter and resign it. Essentially the date it was generated and the date I signed it can't be changed because a new offer letter can't be generated.

The offer letter from Company B does have the starting date listed on it, which is in about 3 months (which is around when I'll apply to transfer my tn for Company B). Maybe the uscis or cbp will see this and be ok with the offer letter from COmpany B, even though the offer letter was generated a few months ago?

I.e. the offer letter from Company B was generated a few months ago, and it was signed a few months ago, but the start date is set to be in 3 months (which is around when I'll apply to transfer my tn for Company B).

If the letter included in the tn application for Company B is not the actual offer letter from Company B, and some other type of letter, please let me know.

Thank you so much for your help.

You (or maybe your employer) seem to be confused about the difference between an offer letter (employment), and a TN letter (sponsorship).

First off, one never uses the offer letter from an employer for a TN petition. It rarely has the correct wording required by CBP. The offer sheet is between you and the employer, as you have stated, and that is done. The TN letter however, is between your sponsor and the DHS (CBP at the border or USCIS by I-129 mail-in).

Second, seven months is forever in the business world. DHS will definitely not accept such a letter as proof that you are about to start working, even if it were a properly constructed TN letter. At a minimum they will contact the person who wrote the letter (will they even still be there, or quickly remember you?), but more likely will ask you to come back, providing what I'm suggesting.

So, a month or so before you plan to begin working for Co. B, get a TN letter from them, with the needed information. There is plenty of info here and elsewhere on what constitutes a TN letter. OR, go with what you have, likely get denied, and now have Co. B have to scramble to get your petition approved, if they are still so inclined to sponsor you. I'm sure an employer would appreciate a forward-thinking individual who sees and addresses potential hurdles.

I'm not getting 2 tn visas at the same time. I'm worried mostly about uscis or cbp realizing that I accepted both offers at the same time and not giving the new tn for company b, or possibly reporting me to company a or company b for accepting both offers at the same time.
USCIS/CBP don't care which job offers you accept or who else you were working for when you did.
If you can juggle 2, 3, 4 employers simultaneously and keep them happy, that's between you & them, not for USCIS/CBP to judge.

What USCIS/CBP *does* care about is:

1. Do you have a bona-fide job offer?
2. Do the duties of your job offer match a proscribed USCMA TN category?
3. Do you meet the qualification to get a TN work permit for that category?

All this discussion is around item #1: "Bona fide job offer". A 7-month-old job offer / support letter doesn't look bona-fide. Normal people would expect a job offer to be rejected or withdrawn if not consumated within a few weeks.

Just get a new dated & signed letter shortly before you're ready to start. It's not complex. CBP mostly doesn't care what you were doing 7 months prior. And if they do ask, just tell the truth. There's nothing wrong (from a TN work status perspective) of switching jobs.