Will Passport Renew affect GC petition?

monkey_luna

alanpero, and other friends here,

I am new here and this is my very first post for help.

I have been waiting for my I-485 (Asylee based) approval for several years now. during the waiting my passport came to its expiration. i renewed it although i knew it was not a good move in regards to my currentl situation. perhaps I was stupid to renew it then. but i have to admit that i was quite desperate and felt hopeless in such a long waiting.

My question is: will that affect my GC approval? i heard that one step of GC approval process is to stamp the passport. what if INS officials find out my passport has been renewed after my Asylee status granted?

Thanks for all helpful advices.

probably the IO'll not c ur former passport
they'll stamp on ur RTD but not ur national passport...
so..
anyway,that's only my thought...

monkey_luna

Did you traveled back to your home country with your renewed passport?
Did you traveled abroad with your renewed passport?
Do you have RTD? If so, what did you answer to the question if you have renewed your national passport in the I-485 form?

Last edited by a moderator:
perhaps i should clarify the order of what i have done:

1. filed I-485
2. waiting for news on my I-485 petition and passport expiring
3. renewed passport

i never traveled outside US since i filed I-485, and i never have applied for RTD yet.

monkey_luna

I do not quite understand why you renewed your passport.
Anyway, I do not think you have to worry too much about that. At the time of the stamping they can stamp in your I-94 or in your RTD if you get one. You don't need to show your passport if you have "lost" it, right?
Good luck

so...dont worry...u can do it...
but one thing i got confused is:how would u renew ur passport??
would u required to show the consulate officer ur current status in oder to get ur passport renewal????that'll be difficult to clarify how u could stay at the U.S without a proper nonimmigration visa...

alanpero

One of the questions in the form to get the RTD is if you have renwed your national passport.
What if your answer to that question is yes??

cookiemonster

If your answer is yes, you have to provide an explanation. Don't know what is going to happen after that.
My guess is that if you have a reasonable explanation, they will understand and you won't have problems, but who knows?
At the end, everything will be depending on the INS officer's discretion.
So, why to take any chance? Better not to renew the national passport nor use it.