• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

WilL I work from the first day I enter the US?

yrisvaca

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

Will I be able to work from day 1? If not, how long is the waiting time before I can legally work?

What are the steps before starting to look for a job?

You will need to apply for SSN to be able to work. So I suggest you do that the first thing when you arrived :)
Once you get the SSN, not only you will be able to look for a job, you can apply loan, credit cards, open bank account and so on.
To look for a job, depending which state you are going to, go to their local paper or online careerbuilder.com; monster.com etc. Good Luck and all the best!!

Hi all,

Will I be able to work from day 1? If not, how long is the waiting time before I can legally work?

What are the steps before starting to look for a job?

The moment that you receive your social security card, at that time you should be able to seek work using that number plus your passport (since your A # will be stamp in there). When and if you find an employment, the employer will most likely ask you if you are allowed to work in the USA and to provide proof. The A# will be your proof until you recieve the acual Green Card.

Once you get the SSN, not only you will be able to look for a job, you can apply loan, credit cards,
But you wont get any loan & credit card with a missing credit history.

Well you gotta start somewhere. I talked to my bank about building credit history etc and they set me up with a specific credit card with low credit limit to start with. That was a year ago...now I have mortgage, I bought a car and have normal bank accounts/credit cards like most people do.

And oooh..as you know..if you have Amex in your home country you can get it transferred here.

Most banks will setup a secured credit card for some time. Not that good, but better than nothing.

you can start looking for work prior to even entering the US.
Applying for SSN is now automatic, if you mark the right thing on your DS-230 form.
You can even start working before you get the SSN, but you cannot get paid until you get it, because the employer needs your SSN to correctly pay taxes on your behalf.
of course, most employers will not let you start working until you get SSN...

of course, most employers will not let you start working until you get SSN...

My first experience of working in the US was on a J1 visa in 2003. This was just after there had been major reform in the SS number issuing procedure. The company that got or DS2019 work authorisation forms gave us printed copies of the law surrounding working while waiting for a SS application to come though. They said that if we had problems trying to get jobs then we were to show them this and that would help us start to work with out SS numbers.
Of course after we arrived the reality of trying to get a job with out a SS number began to sink in. it took 8 weeks for me to get my number, we were only going to be there for 16 weeks! It was a total night mare. There was a long delay at the SS administration due to the changes that had been made post 9/11.
If you try and get a job with out a SS number, even if you can prove you have valid work authorisation, which you are able to do according to US law, then mark my words, people will think you are an illegal immigrant. No SS number = no job.
We almost had to fly home as we ran out of money, lucky we found an Irish guy in Boston who helped us out by giving us jobs, as he knew we were legal to work as he had come on a similar visa a few years ago and faced a simile problem.
Thank god I have my SS now! :)