Will I be denied? Please need your help!

vivacampbell

Registered Users (C)
Hey guys,

I've been here for a while reading each and every thread and it benefit me a lot by reading all your posts. I have a question here about applying for naturalization, I appreciate you all for sharing your experience and knowledge with me :)

I got married in Aug 1997 to a USC and received 10-year green card in March 2000, but my husband filed divorce a few months after I got the green card as he met another woman at work and decided to move on, and also we had some other problems in our marriage and he didn't have the patience to work out with me, and we finally divorced in Oct 2000. Now I'm available to apply for the naturalization, but I'm so afraid that the divorce will cause problems during the interview and maybe I will be denied. What do you think that my chance of passing the interview and being naturalized, please share your experience and thoughts with me.

Regards,

Viv

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you got your GC based on marriage, I would expect some questions from the IO when you go for an interview (pending you apply). If I were you, I would contact an Immigration Attorney and get the right advice.

What may prove that the marriage was real for sure is that you stayed married for 3 years after you got the GC (I am assuming permanent GC, not the conditional) and that he filed for the divorce.

Good luck.

Assuming you obtained your unconditional GC prior to divorce, I see no difficultly for you naturalizing via the regular 5yr residency period. (There is nothing in the citizenship rules that say you have to remain married to the person who sponsored your LPR once you have an unconditional GC, therefore as long as your residency was obtained legally, you should be in good shape.)

A consultation with a lawyer would help alleviate your concerns, however I see no compelling reason that you'd need one in order to proceed with your N-400 application.

vivacampbell said:
Hey guys,

I've been here for a while reading each and every thread and it benefit me a lot by reading all your posts. I have a question here about applying for naturalization, I appreciate you all for sharing your experience and knowledge with me :)

I got married in Aug 1997 to a USC and received 10-year green card in March 2000, but my husband filed divorce a few months after I got the green card as he met another woman at work and decided to move on, and also we had some other problems in our marriage and he didn't have the patience to work out with me, and we finally divorced in Oct 2000. Now I'm available to apply for the naturalization, but I'm so afraid that the divorce will cause problems during the interview and maybe I will be denied. What do you think that my chance of passing the interview and being naturalized, please share your experience and thoughts with me.

Regards,

Viv
Follow boatbod's advice.

Just make sure you bring in the divorce papers to show them. They won't deny you based on that, they might have an issue if you had divorced during your 2 year intermediate GC though. In your case you already had the 10 year as mentioned so just bring in the papers, I'm sure they'll just ask you what happend and that's that. Nothing to worry about...

hey guys,

Thank you so much for taking your time to respond to my question and for sharing your thoughts with me. I will check with a few of local attorneys here.

One additional question about the traffic ticket, shoudl I put the citation of $65 fine of a traffic ticket received in 1998 in my N400 application? if it's posted before, I appologize for the double post. As aways your help is highly appreciated.

Regards,

Viv

vivacampbell said:
One additional question about the traffic ticket, shoudl I put the citation of $65 fine of a traffic ticket received in 1998 in my N400 application?

Sounds like you have the documentation if later requested, so yes I'd include it.

Boatbod- Thanks a lot for your quick response and I appreciate that you take so much time to post on this forum and share your knowledge with outhers.

Yes, I will have the disposition paperwork from my local court in next week, right now I'm just gathering information and documents and I will send out my application after I have all docs that mentioned here and by the attorneys. I spoke with a couple of attorneys in Atlanta area and they told me that I should be fine but be prepared to be asked some questions about the divorce and to show the proof of a real marriage if I still have some. So basically they told me the same thing as I was suggested here on the forum, I'm so surprised that everyone here is expertise in the naturalization field :)

At last I wonder if anyone would like to share their recent interview experience, especially similiar as my case if any exists, any experience will be more than welcome.

Regards,

Viv

I have a friend who obtained her US citizenship a couple of years ago. She had got her GC based on marriage, but their marriage didn't last three years. She did have her unconditional GC at that time, so she waited additonal two years and got her US citizenship without any issues. She has a son from that marriage.

vivacampbell said:
I'm so surprised that everyone here is expertise in the naturalization field :)

Most of the regular posters are people who already went through the natz process and are able to contribute based on their own experience and from research/reading the experiences of others. As with any subject, if you study it enough, some of the knowledge eventually sticks! ;)

Just get a good lawer. I know couple of such cases. In one of them, the wife (who had a green card) applied for divorce and still got the citizenship along with her son from different marriage. Second one was similar to yours, and was successful too.

Aug2006 said:
I have a friend who obtained her US citizenship a couple of years ago. She had got her GC based on marriage, but their marriage didn't last three years. She did have her unconditional GC at that time, so she waited additonal two years and got her US citizenship without any issues. She has a son from that marriage.

Thank you for your post first of all!

I think the fact that she has a son from that marriage helps a lot to erase the questions or doubts from the IO. I didn't have any kids from that marriage with my ex husband, that's just one of the problems that we would never be able to work out, he doesn't want any more since he has two from his previous marriage and that's far more than enough for him, and I love kids and I want my own.... :( I hope the docs and photos I still kept will help me at some level in my case. I have thrown most of the bills and other docs and pictures after the divorce as I was so desperated and didn't think i will need those in one day.

nakatu said:
Just get a good lawer. I know couple of such cases. In one of them, the wife (who had a green card) applied for divorce and still got the citizenship along with her son from different marriage. Second one was similar to yours, and was successful too.

Nakatu,

Thanks a lot for sharing the stories with me. Do you think I should get a good lawyer to help me apply and be present with me at the interview? Did you friends get the lawyers in their process?

Viv

Last edited by a moderator: