Will FOIA/PA request for my A-File delay N-400 processing?

sarmad

Registered Users (C)
I will be filing my N-400 in August, 2007 (yeah, I know it's not for a while... :eek: )

I am thinking about filing G-639 (Freedom of Information/Privacy Act Request Form) next week for my A-File.

From recent posts, it seems that the National Record Center (NRC) is taking around 7 to 12 months to process FOIA/PA requests and that the time is increasing. Given those projections, the NRC shud be done with my A-File by January, 2007 (well before I'll be applying for citizenship).

What I'm concerned about is that the NRC may still have my A-File when I file N-400 (if FOIA/PA requests take >18 months in the future), potentially delaying processing. Not a big concern, but something to worry about nonetheless.

I was a straightforward F-1 -> OPT -> H-1B -> GC case, so I don't expect to find anything derogatory in my A-File. But just want to be completely prepared when it's time...

Do you guys have any advice for or against filing G-639 now?

Btw, the I-485 forum was a great help during my GC processing and the people in the Citizenship forum are even more helpful! Thank you in advance for your advice.

sarmad :)

i am not sure if it worths to apply the FOIA before you know your name check is pending.

Does having a clean (no record) FOIA mean your name check won't be stucked / pending?

I don't think so.

Thanks for the reply, ocworker.

I just wanted to have the A-File for my records. Figured it would help to have it already if my N-400 gets stuck for name check or whatever.

Plus, if I make the request AFTER name check is stuck, won't my A-File have to go from the DO to NRC, potentially causing even more delays?

sarmad said:
Thanks for the reply, ocworker.

I just wanted to have the A-File for my records. Figured it would help to have it already if my N-400 gets stuck for name check or whatever.

Plus, if I make the request AFTER name check is stuck, won't my A-File have to go from the DO to NRC, potentially causing even more delays?

i do not know if they would need to have your physical A# onhand for FOIA.

Sorry for not being to help much because i never requested the FOIA (since i know i have no criminal background at all so i do not see why i need to have a FOIA. )