Will divorce take my green card or freedom?

ttg23

My wife brought me here from Jamaica. We didn't know eachother long, but my intentions were honorable. Things started out fine. I found work, and when I wasn't working, I cooked and cleaned.

Things went sour because I continued the lifestyle I was used to in Jamaica, I cheated on her. I hope you guys won't be judgemental to answer my question.

We were married in 2003. I moved out by her request a year ago and am living with my girlfriend, another American girl. I think my wife still have hopes of us getting back together as we have a daughter together, but I want a divorce.

My wife is vindictive and I am afraid if I ask for a divorce, she will try to get me arrested as I have seen happen to others before. I don't know their entire circumstances, but they were brought to America as I was and they wanted divorces and the women made up some story and got them in jail.

I have a permanent green card. I want to know if she claims that I used her for a green card will that affect my life and freedom or current immigration status? I am not doing anything illegal. I have smoked weed at times, but I don't sell or do drugs. Am I at risk?

LOL, just to make sure you have a permanent green card and not an unconditional one, correct? If it's permanent then you can do as you fit.

My wife brought me here from Jamaica. We didn't know eachother long, but my intentions were honorable. Things started out fine. I found work, and when I wasn't working, I cooked and cleaned.

Things went sour because I continued the lifestyle I was used to in Jamaica, I cheated on her. I hope you guys won't be judgemental to answer my question.

We were married in 2003. I moved out by her request a year ago and am living with my girlfriend, another American girl. I think my wife still have hopes of us getting back together as we have a daughter together, but I want a divorce.

My wife is vindictive and I am afraid if I ask for a divorce, she will try to get me arrested as I have seen happen to others before. I don't know their entire circumstances, but they were brought to America as I was and they wanted divorces and the women made up some story and got them in jail.

I have a permanent green card. I want to know if she claims that I used her for a green card will that affect my life and freedom or current immigration status? I am not doing anything illegal. I have smoked weed at times, but I don't sell or do drugs. Am I at risk?

Stop smoking weed... remember that weed is illegal, except in Jamaica?:rolleyes: If you admit to an immigration officer that you smoked weed, it is a crime which you were not arrested for, and show bad moral focus. It can results in a denial of your greencard renewal, depending on whether you have a conditional or permanent...;)

When was your card issued? What is the expiration date? :confused:

stop weeding yourself...:(

This is a grown man. If he want's to smoke a little gangar let him (LOL) I did not know IO's do drug testing. Man, to smoke or not to smoke, I don't think that was the question. LMAO

This is a grown man. If he want's to smoke a little gangar let him (LOL) I did not know IO's do drug testing. Man, to smoke or not to smoke, I don't think that was the question. LMAO

Ok...since you interview is coming up in 15 days, please pay close attention to the questions which are going to be asked. For the record, page 3 of your I-485. The I/O will ask you if there are crimes which you committed which you were not caught....;) Since you are a smart cat...you are going to give her or him a correct answer.... :cool:

Smoking weed is a crime in the US...or maybe you can smoke it outside your job and see whether your employer is going to bestow a gold medal for it...

USCIS doesn't do drug testing, they so smell testing....:p I know that they might find some weed seed in his pocket... and bang.... they are going to smoke him for the day....:rolleyes:

I am a permanent resident as of 2006 before I moved out.

I have read where others who were brought over were sent back or jailed for whatever reason. I am not doing anything wrong...:cool: not soliciting or selling, and I have a real job.

Can she cause me to be sent back for any reason or am I permanent as I am suppose to be?

...in America it is a drug, but it is a plant from the earth made for man ;)

LOL, yeah weed would be controlled substance abuse - definitely a CIMT (deportable offense), and hence something your wife could use against you.

Sounds like your best bet is not to go rocking any boats. Keep out of trouble and maybe your wife will eventually reach her own decision to divorce you.

I am a permanent resident as of 2006 before I moved out.

I have read where others who were brought over were sent back or jailed for whatever reason. I am not doing anything wrong...:cool: not soliciting or selling, and I have a real job.

Can she cause me to be sent back for any reason or am I permanent as I am suppose to be?

...in America it is a drug, but it is a plant from the earth made for man ;)

You are going to remember that it is a plant when you are on your way back to the ghettos of Jamaica.... :rolleyes: You employer can do random drug testing, and find it in your system.... you are history....:(

When does your greencard expire? Can you stop smoking and answer this simple questionkk?:cool:

pass some of the grass to ms. trini.... :eek:

I actually did get into legal trouble for weed when I was in the conditional stages, and I paid the price, but that is the past. If we could put aside the weed issue and talk. :confused:

I am a regular dude. I go to work and have bills and I am a good father and give money for support weekly.

I am already a permanent green card holder, all the interviews, etc have been completed...I don't have it on me so I am not sure when it expires. We have been separated for a little more than a year and it is time to move on. We see eachother weekly for my daughter, if not more. We are polite, but I think she will flip if I ask, even though she knows I live with someone.

There is no real crime she can accuse me of, she would need current proof,
as weed is not a daily event for me. So I am just wondering if I can feel safe in filing for divorce. If she uses my occasional use against, maybe I will stop completely just for this purpose. Other than that, should I be worried about my immigration status and/or freedom?

Ok...since you interview is coming up in 15 days, please pay close attention to the questions which are going to be asked. For the record, page 3 of your I-485. The I/O will ask you if there are crimes which you committed which you were not caught....;) Since you are a smart cat...you are going to give her or him a correct answer.... :cool:

Smoking weed is a crime in the US...or maybe you can smoke it outside your job and see whether your employer is going to bestow a gold medal for it...

USCIS doesn't do drug testing, they so smell testing....:p I know that they might find some weed seed in his pocket... and bang.... they are going to smoke him for the day....:rolleyes:

I'm happy that you can count, and I do not need to pay close attention since I do not and have never done drugs. So you pay close attention, don't worry about my situation since I did not come here asking for advise (or being so bold to air my dirty laundry out about smoking weed). I'm pretty sure no one on the other hand will be that stupid to take dugs to an interview, so I would not put words in the OP mouth. As you can see I was LMAO about the comment about his weed smoking but who am I to judge I don't believe his question was "Can my wife get me deported if I smoke weed." Well I not about to get into it with the perfect, never did anything wrong people on this thread. So go on with your advise, more power to you, OP remember to read the disclaimers on this site, as they are so wisely posted by some members.

I actually did get into legal trouble for weed when I was in the conditional stages, and I paid the price, but that is the past. If we could put aside the weed issue and talk. :confused:

I am a regular dude. I go to work and have bills and I am a good father and give money for support weekly.

I am already a permanent green card holder, all the interviews, etc have been completed...I don't have it on me so I am not sure when it expires. We have been separated for a little more than a year and it is time to move on. We see eachother weekly for my daughter, if not more. We are polite, but I think she will flip if I ask, even though she knows I live with someone.

as weed is not a daily event for me. So I am just wondering if I can feel safe in filing for divorce. If she uses my occasional use against, maybe I will stop completely just for this purpose. Other than that, should I be worried about my immigration status and/or freedom?

Again, when you got your greencard, how long were you then married to your wife? for example, if you married your wife in 2002, but got your greencard in 2005, it is going to be a permanent greencard by virtue of having been married to her for over 2 yrs...

So, do you know how long you were married before being issued a greencard?

Why stay married? You are free to divorce as long as you do not have an unconditional green card.

You can get your butt kicked and put in a banana boat back to Jamaica for possession of a controlled substance, whether you are a permanent resident or not... and this will come back to haunt you when you file i-90 or n-400.

Why stay married? You are free to divorce as long as you do not have an unconditional green card.

ms. trini...are these your intention to divorce once you get an unconditional gc? :rolleyes:

marriage should be honorable among all things, and not trashed by people who have a need to weed themselves once in a while...:D You cannot be a good person and still smoke weed.... :(

ms. trini...are these your intention to divorce once you get an unconditional gc? :rolleyes:

marriage should be honorable among all things, and not trashed by people who have a need to weed themselves once in a while...:D You cannot be a good person and still smoke weed.... :(

YES THESE ARE MY INTENSION'S, AFTER I GET MY GREEN CARD I'M GOING TO GET GET THE CONDITIONS REMOVED THEN DIVORCE MY STUPID AMERICAN HUSBAND AFTER BEING KNOWING HIM SINCE 1998 AND BEING MARRIED TO HIM FOR 3 YEARS COME 12/31/07. YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THAT HAVE YOU BEEN WITH YOUR WIFE OR EVEN KNOW HER FOR THAT LONG. DUDE YOU NEED TO LAY OFF ME WITH THAT MESS. BTW THE USE YOUR MATH SKILLS AND COUNT.

BTW I KNOW PEOPLE THAT SMOKE THAT STUFF AND THEY ARE GOOD PEOPLE. AS LONG AS THEY DO NOT SMOKE THAT STUFF AROUND ME AND MINE I DON'T CARE WHAT THEY DO THAT'S THEIR BIZ. IT'S NOT PUTTING MONEY IN MY POCKET SO WHY SHOULD I CARE. "YOU CANNOT BE A GOOD PERSON AND STILL SMOKE WEED." ARE YOU KIDDING ME. YOU ARE NOT A GOOD PERSON, HERE JUDGING OTHERS.

You can get your butt kicked and put in a banana boat back to Jamaica for possession of a controlled substance, whether you are a permanent resident or not... and this will come back to haunt you when you file i-90 or n-400.

So can you! I mean on your banana boat. or is that sugar cane

I don't know what the deal is with Southner and Trini but I thought this was a thread to address my issue.

I tried to present all the facts to get an open and honest opinion and all I am met with is 2 people bickering and everyone else focusing on the weed. I understand weed is illegal, but that isn't my question. So far the feedback has been pretty useless.

I keep being asked about my status when I repeat once again...I have a permanent green card. I was married in 2003 and am still married, I lived with her for 3 years and knew her for about 1 year prior to getting married. All the interviews have been completed. My issue is divorce from a woman that may try to take revenge, is there a possibilty here spite can mess me up?

I pretty much have an answer from other sources, but if anyone else have something interesting to say about the question I presented that doesn't focus on irrelevant things as me taking drugs to an interview- like an idiot, an interview that has already been completed- please post.

I don't know what the deal is with Southner and Trini but I thought this was a thread to address my issue.

I tried to present all the facts to get an open and honest opinion and all I am met with is 2 people bickering and everyone else focusing on the weed. I understand weed is illegal, but that isn't my question. So far the feedback has been pretty useless.

I keep being asked about my status when I repeat once again...I have a permanent green card. I was married in 2003 and am still married, I lived with her for 3 years and knew her for about 1 year prior to getting married. All the interviews have been completed. My issue is divorce from a woman that may try to take revenge, is there a possibilty here spite can mess me up?

I pretty much have an answer from other sources, but if anyone else have something interesting to say about the question I presented that doesn't focus on irrelevant things as me taking drugs to an interview- like an idiot, an interview that has already been completed- please post.

TT,

If you have a permanent GC, then you are free to screw whomever pleases you, including your new girlfriend. However, what she can claim before USCIS is that you married her for the greencard, which can easily be proven by the mere fact you are now living with your new girlfriend. So, her story can be investigated by the USCIS fraud unit, and whether a determination of fraud is made is the big question. I am not an expert on whether this can be investigated and proven to be fraud... :eek:

Since you indicated that you were married for three years, then her story will be logical, because it appears as if after you got your conditions removed, then hell started residing in your home....:rolleyes: It will be too convenient and full of suspicion..... or I might be wrong...:confused:

The other issue which you have to be concerned about it this: you smoke weed and she can bring that up in court. However, from reading your posts here today, I know that you are going to deny smoking weed before a judge, under oath. How do I know this: ;)You know that smoking weed is illegal, and the conditions of granting your greencard is that you don't do drugs. Review page 3 of your I-485, you were specifically ask if you are coming to the US to do drugs....:confused:

If you deny doing drugs, the court can order a drug tests called Hair follicle test which can date back to up to 12 months.... In this case, you will be caught since this test is very effective in exposing people who claim not to do drugs, while their hair indicates otherwise. :p The judge can grant a divorce and restrict access to your daughter on the conditions of being an unfit parent or order supervised visitation for you.... :cool:

TTG23, just realize that there's testing nowadays than can nail you positive from smoking up months ago.

trinigirl said:

BTW I KNOW PEOPLE THAT SMOKE THAT STUFF AND THEY ARE GOOD PEOPLE. AS LONG AS THEY DO NOT SMOKE THAT STUFF AROUND ME AND MINE I DON'T CARE WHAT THEY DO THAT'S THEIR BIZ. IT'S NOT PUTTING MONEY IN MY POCKET SO WHY SHOULD I CARE. "YOU CANNOT BE A GOOD PERSON AND STILL SMOKE WEED." ARE YOU KIDDING ME.
All-caps aside, this is the most sensible thing I've ever read from you.

Who knew Trini was the libertarian sort?

Last edited by a moderator: