Wife's Green Card Lost in the mail - PLS help

aadepetun

Registered Users (C)
My wife entered the U.S in early dec. 2008 on an immigrant visa and currently has a temporary 1-551 (a stamped Immigrant Visa).

She got her SSC done in december but didn't receive her plastic GC before she left the U.S in the beginning of January (She has a temporary GC in her passport).

We called the USCIS on Feb 4 to inquire about her GC and was told that it was mailed out on Jan 3, 2009 with an approval notice. We also got a letter in the mail stating that since we haven't received the GC, they will have to declare that it has be lost in the mail (since the USPS hasn't sent it back to them as undeliverable) and so she should file form I-90 for a replacement card.

My questions are:

1) Since she is currently out of the country (and will not be back till may), can I file the form I-90 on her behalf?

2) Which will be our best option: E-file or paper filing?

3) Can we E-file in this situation?

4) Do we need to send any supporting documents with E-file?

I would sincerely appreciate your thoughts on this.

Thank you.

You can probably do the e-file for her, but that's not enough because she would still have to show up for fingerprinting (which cannot be done outside the US). If you choose paper filing, she has to physically sign it and she isn't here to do that so there would have to be some international couriers sending the paper in so you can then mail it.

Is the green card stamp in her passport valid until her planned return date in May?

Re:

You can probably do the e-file for her, but that's not enough because she would still have to show up for fingerprinting (which cannot be done outside the US). If you choose paper filing, she has to physically sign it and she isn't here to do that so there would have to be some international couriers sending the paper in so you can then mail it.

Is the green card stamp in her passport valid until her planned return date in May?

Thank you Jackolantern,

The immigrant visa on her passport says it becomes a temporary I-551 for 1-year upon endorsement at the POE, so it's valid till early December 2009.

Do you think it will be ok to e-file a few weeks to the time she will be arriving or just do it right away and have her fly in for her biometrics appointment?

I would call USCIS again, and ask to speak to an Immigration Officer and not depend on the answer from first level Customer Service.
Maybe Jan 3rd was the date they ordered the card, wait a few weeks...it might arrive in the mail soon.

Just an FYI we efiled an I-90 for my wife and her appointment for biometrics was scheduled less then 2 weeks later so you might want to just wait until she is back to efile to be safe

hi aedepetun

hi, just roaming through this forum when your name struck me. sorry about the card. i pray it shows up in the mail so you dont have to pass through the replacement process.

We,ve not been 'seeing' much of u in our NAIJA DV section. i hope you drop by soon to say hi to the house.

i have some concerns i need to share with you, about post-GC life. pls send me your e-mail address if you may (Promix4him@yahoo.com).

All the best.
Promix

Last edited by a moderator: