Wife Status?

manojimm

Registered Users (C)
I just applied for my wifes adjustment of status. I have received the NOA.

Till now she has been on an F1 status. Can she now stop going to school, since I believe that AOS is a legal status?. I have just being paying money to keep her in valid status. She has an approved I-130 from the time I was a PR.

Can anyone confirm?.

I am a US Citizen.

Regards

Manoj

manojimm said:

Till now she has been on an F1 status. Can she now stop going to school, since I believe that AOS is a legal status?. I have just being paying money to keep her in valid status. She has an approved I-130 from the time I was a PR.

Can anyone confirm?.

I am a US Citizen.

Regards

Manoj
As per my opinion, yes she can stop going to school since her status is now Adjustment of Status.

manojimm said:

Can anyone confirm?.

I am a US Citizen.

Regards

Manoj

AOS is not a valid legal immigration status. It’s even called an Adjustment of Status for that purpose.
She is in the adjustment process now, from F1 to LPR and until she adjusts her status to Permanent Resident she should remind in the valid legal status. Or not….
Many people applied for AOS while without any status at all (for example - with the expired tourist visa), but your wife applied while still being in the status. At the time of her interview her current status, or luck of one, will be ignored and if everything still fine with your marriage she’ll be adjusted regardless of whatever of not she’ll continue her education and remains in F1.

in short: 1) AOS is not a status – international student, or temporary worker, or Visitor, or an Asylee, or a Permanent Resident is.
2) Yes, it is safe for her to quit school if you wish.

I do understand that college education is expensive ( I just graduated 3 year ago myself), but unless she is looking forward to be a housewife or work the low paying jobs, why would you deny her an education and the better opportunity in life and her carrier?
Since she filed I-485 and when she gets her SS# and EAD you can apply for a federal student loan for her.
She’ll get a deferral for as long as she in school plus 6 months more and then let her work and pay her bills.
It is if she wants to continue going to school of course….

Thanks

Thanks for the confirmation.

Jane, sorry for not being more elaborate. I just kept her in valid status by keeping her in language school. She is actually getting ready for her medical licensing and the language school is getting in her way.... this should give her more time to study (since she does not have to attend the minimum hours to keep her current in the school...)

Thanks again for your responses.

regards

Manoj