Wife\'s I-485

spr9

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

Can someone please clarify the following:

I applied for my I-485 last year in July and day before yesterday, I heard (from AVM) that an RFE was issued. I recently applied for my wife\'s I-485 and I am not sure when a receipt will be generated for her I-485.
I have always been told that as long as you apply for your spouse\'s I-485 before your I-485 gets approved, the INS will still process the spouse\'s I-485.

My question is, What is meant by "as long as you apply for your spouse\'s I-485 before your I-485 gets approved" Does this mean that the INS will still process her case if my I-485 gets approved before a receipt is generated for her (i.e. wife\'s application has been received at VSC but receipt has not been generated yet -is this even possible?)?

If her case is denied, can she still do consular processing as follow to join?

Thanks.

what is there to panic?

You have not received the RFE, you will have 15 days to respond. INS takes another month (minimum) to decide on your case. Generally the receipt date is within a week of your application date. From that date onwards she is a 485 adjustee and is in legal status. SO even if your approval comes thru she is in legal status. Just wait for the 485 receipt before rushing to the local INS office for the stamp. With the current minimum 1 month delay for stamping in local INS you have ample time.
I hope you applied for her AP too.