Wife\'s GC rejected

v v

Just got a message from my lawyer stating that my wife\'s I-485 application was rejected. The reason given was that since the primary applicant was approved at the time the secondary application was processed, the secondary applicant\'s 485 cannot be processed. I had applied for my wife\'s I-485 application in May 2001 and I was approved in July 2001.
At the same time I have read that others in similar cases have got receipt notices for the secondary applicant.
With VSC it is a never ending battle of nerves.

No Title

I am also in a similiar situation !
Did you receive any other acknowledgement from INS prior to this
message from the lawyer.

Why?

I saw some posting on this web saying that the spouse can join after the I485 submission before approval. I did see some posting say their spouses got the approval long after the primary\' approval. Is is only matter of getting receipt notice before primary\'s I485 approval?

No Title

Dear Christi,,,

As u said ,I dont think that it is only matter of getting receipt notice before primary\'s I485 approval, considering my case.

For your Info:

My husband filed my 1485 on April 12 th,2001 when his PD was not current .
After filing for me only we came to know that only if a spouse PD is current he can file I485 for his wife.
So we thought INS will reject my I485.
Meanwhile his PD became current on June 1,2001., and his case got approved the very next day.
We were very confused about the situation how INS is going to handle my case.
But becoz of backlog in INS we didn\'t receive the receipt until last week of June.
On June 29th..atlast we got my I485 receipt.
I received my receipt only after his approval.

His Details:
          PD : Sep 1998.
     I485 RD: Oct 30,1999.
          ND: Nov 04,1999.
          FP : Apr 14,2001.
The passport was stamped on 6/9
   We received His GC on 7/25..

As GV10 says this INS treats each case in a different manner making us restless.

No Title

TE
In my case INS basically returned all the documents back to the lawyers saying they could not process the application

When was I-485 applied

Hi
I was in a similar situation. I was in India for my marriage.
I got married on 12th Nov, 2000, borught my wife to US on H4 and I entered on H1 on 10the Dec, and then came to know that my GC was approved on 21st Nov, 2000 while I was out of the country.
My lawyer applied for my wife\'s I-485 in Jan 2001 and we have not heard back anything frm INS. WE have done her FP in May.
I am not sure what to expect next.
thanks

Info from www.immigration-law.com

FYI. Not sure if this explains your problem....

Updated 07/17/01: Singles, Beware!

A large number of 485 waiters are singles or unmarried at the time they file 485 applications. Inasmuch as they maintain their valid H-1B status, they will be able to marry in home country and bring their newly acquired spouses to the U.S. in H-4 status "inasmuch as the spouses enter the U.S. before the 485 waiters get 485 approval. "Approval" means approval of 485 application by adjudicators in the Service Centers and neither receipt of notice nor stamping in the passport nor getting plastic card.
Lately, we face 485 filers who marry and bring their spouses to the U.S. in H-4 status close to the time of approval of their I-485. Legally, by the time the principal alien\'s status is converted to a lawful permanent resident, the spouse\'s H-4 status should also terminate since H-4 is a visa status dependent on a valid H-1B visa status. Therefore, there arises a question as to what happens if the spouse\'s I-485 application as an "accompanying" spouse is belatedly receipted by the INS after the principal alien\'s 485 application is approved. Strictly speaking, by that time the H-4 spouse is no longer in H-4 status and there is a serious question of the spouse\'s eligibibility for 485 application, since only an alien in status can submit 485 application.
Two consequences can arise. First, inasmuch as the principal alien started the green card process (priority date) before April 30, 2001 and was present in the U.S. on December 21, 2000, the spouses may still be able to file I-485 as a following-to-join beneficiary and using 245(i) benefit. The principal alien\'s grandfathered 245(i) benefit is also transferred to the spouse without requirement of presence in the U.S. on December 21, 2000 under the LIFE Act that reinstated 245(i) benefit until April 30, 2001. Secondly, the spouse may also apply for immigrant visa at the American Consulate at the home country as a following-to-join beneficiary. However, in the second option, the unlawful presence of the spouse may continue to run and if the spouse departs from the U.S. after 180 days to have the immigration interview, he/she may be subject to the three-year bar and the consulate will not be able to issue immigrant visas. Additionally, the INS may be able to initiate removal proceeding if he/she is arrested.
Filing delay of 485 is usually caused by medical examination and collection of such evidence as birth certificate or marriage certificate from his/her home country. In emergency, people may consult their legal counsel as to whether it is desirable to file the signed I-485 application with a proper filing fees without sufficient supporting documentation to get their cases in the system ("filed") before their status runs out. The INS will then issue RFE to request the required supporting documentation.
This is not a legal advice and people should seek legal counsel for their individual cases and should not rely on this posting. This law firm and its lawyers will not be responsible for consequences of such reliance.

Question for Sumit

Hi Sumit,

Good Morning. First of all, I wish your wife \'Best Wishes and Good Luck\' on her GC approval.

I have a question for you. Did your wife got the Receipt for her I-485 and FP Notice before she went for FP-ing?

Please let us know.

Thanks
SouthIndian

For gv10

Hi gv10,

Good Morning.

Sorry to hear that, but don\'t worry, your wife gc will get approved soon. Hurry up and talk to a Good Immig. Attorney like Rajiv Khanna, Ms. Murthy, etc. and discuss your case. I believe based on info. that I get from this forum I believe it\'s a mistake on the processing center in accepting your wife\'s case. I believe for a spouse to get his/her gc processed and approved, one should have got married before the Principal\'s approval.

Better check this out with a good immig. attorney and let us all know.

If you keep us updated with your wife\'s case/status and it would be helpful to all of us here and who is looking for such info. in present/future. That would be great.

Once again good luck and best wishes to you and your wife.

(This is an extract of my reply from your other posting)

Disclaimer: This is NOT a Legal advice. Please, consult a qualified immig. attorney. Follow this info. at your own risks.

Have a good day.

Regards
SouthIndian

My Comments

Hi all,

I believe that if the Spouse\'s is on Valid H4 Status and Physically present within US WHEN filing his/her I-485 application to resp. Processing Center, it should NOT be a issue in getting the spouse\'s GC receipted and approved. If the Processing Center receipts it on a \'Delayed Manner\' due to any reasons(such as mail room back log, etc), I believe it\'s their issue. Our job is to get the Application rushed to the Mail Room(the only point where we can submit/make sure that they receive it) before the Principal\'s Approval. We can only send it to them, it\'s their job to receipt it and process it and approve it based on the fact they have all Required Valid documents/evidences and fees. Where they might ask the applicant for \'Additional/more Evidences\' if they want one and approve the Spouse\'s GC. I think it\'s the correct process method (Not sure of any site where we can find this related information. If any one knows it, please reply/high light to us and it would be very much helpful).

2 Cents worth: Submit valid filled-in application with valid documents/evidences and fees to the resp. Processing Center before Principal\'s GC Approval(mail it atleast couple of days before Principal\'s approval, Next Day delivery-Over night express would be great to ensure the target delivery date) and they should receive it before the Principal\'s approval.

*** PRESERVE the Mail Carrier\'s Delivery Confirmation Receipt of your Spouse\'s I-485 application ***

The above one is the ONLY evidence that will show that you had sent in the dependent\'s I-485 application to them "WELL AHEAD" of Principal\'s GC Approval.

PS: If the Processing misses to follow the above procedure, the resp. attorney should communicate back with the Procesing Center STATING the facts and requesting them to re-consider the application and to receipt/process/approve it sucessfully which should NOT be a issue at all. Hope this does not happen to a lot of people, instead get their spouse\'s GC approved Successfully.

Disclaimer: Please don\'t consider this as an Legal advice. Consult a qualified legal attorney. Following this info. will be at your own risks, not anyone responsible for any consequences.

Any comments on this are most welcome.

Best wishes.

Regards
SouthIndian

Replying to SouthIndian and benefit for all

Hi
Thanks for the quick update.
Yes, we did get the I-485 receipt and also the FP notice. Also we applied for EAD and AP and they both came in within a month of application.
FYI : My wife currently has enrolled in MS course in a UNIV.
SO my opinion is that if there is any problem with her GC then either we will go the 2045(i) way or get a student visa for her.
I think VSC is currently processing Aug-Sep 2000 cases, and has not reached the Jan 2001 case so lets wait for another 4-5 months as see what happens.
In case you need more info please let me know and we will be in touch.
with best wishes to all

Question for all

Hi
  I am not married yet and I have my I140 approved in June.. I am delaying applying for 485.. But can I file for my 485 and then delay the finger printing?? Also in your wife\'s case had you already finished the Finger printing?? Also how long is it taking for finger printing once 485 is filed at VSC ??

Thanks in advance..
Amit

Question for Anyone abt wife\'s addition

Hi
  I am not married yet and I have my I140 approved in June.. I am delaying applying for 485.. But can I file for my 485 and then delay the finger printing?? Also in your wife\'s case had you already finished the Finger printing?? Also how long is it taking for finger printing once 485 is filed at VSC ??
Thanks in advance..
Amit

Thanks for the update Sumit.

Sumit,

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. Wish your wife good luck and best wishes. Thanks for the offer, if I need will let you know. One more thing what I seen on this board is, the applicant calls the IIO and ask them to \'LINK\' both the applications(where they should have been approved together) and that helped them. But not sure whether this will apply to your situation.

PS: This is NOT a Legal advice. Consult a qualified immig. attorney. Following this info. will be at one\'s own risks.

Best wishes.
SouthIndian

For Amit\'s Question

Hi Amit,
In a lot of cases you cannot delay the FP. If you need to do that you will have to file a request to INS to change the date of FP. So do not bank on that idea.
My wife got the FP motice for May for her I-485 case filed in Jan.
Assume a wait time of anywhere from 4-8 months for FP Notice.

No Title

I agree with Sumit above. There is no point in delaying your FP as there is no guarantee when VSC will issue the new date. Some people have got it next month others had to wait for several months and some people got RFE\'s based on missing FP.